Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Would you pay $50 for the anti-glare if it was available for all MacBooks?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
If they had offered it when I bought the unibod, yes. Now that I'm used to the gloss, no.

goldfronts

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2008
I'm not sure if I'd choose the anti-glare option. The glossy screen isn't nearly as bad as the reviews made it out to be

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
What about 3rd party options? I've seen some Power Support Anti-Glare Films for the Unibody MacBooks for sale at the Apple store for $35. Not as expensive as the MBP 17" BTO option and can be removed if you decide to later.

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
No, I actually like the glossiness of the new Macbook screens. I used to own the old plastic Macbook and I prefer this screen.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
No, I wouldn't.

And Apple making this ONLY a "paid for option" on one model is basically a big 'F you' to people who complained about it to get them to shut up. Apple is clearly all about the gloss.

pesc

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2006
I would pay $500 extra for non-glossy on a 13" if the screen looks great and has nice colors that look the same from a wide range of viewing angles.

I'd never buy a laptop with a reflective screen.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
I have it on my iMac and love it - that being said, I don't have it on a laptop where being outside and so forth could cause some issues which I don't currently experience. ;)

to be honest you hardly notice it outside, ive used my laptop in bright sunlight (admittedly winter sunlight) but still, and i had no problems whatsoever seeing the glossy screen, i think some people just want the choice, thats why theyre moaning. fallacy of freedom.

:apple:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
to be honest you hardly notice it outside, ive used my laptop in bright sunlight (admittedly winter sunlight) but still, and i had no problems whatsoever seeing the glossy screen, i think some people just want the choice, thats why theyre moaning. fallacy of freedom.

Interesting, thanks for the insight, good to know. And yes, now that enough people have begged and bitched for it, Apple has realized there is significant demand for it so they have provided the option - at a cost of course, as any smart business would do... :p ;) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.