Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At MacWorld San Francisco today, Apple announced a major update to its iLife suite of applications. iLife '09 will be available by late January 2009. Upgrade costs are $79, with a family pack at $99. It is shipping on all new macs. Here's a quick breakdown of some of the standout features of the new apps:

iPhoto '09
Faces: Addition of facial recognition to events. Photos can be tagged to recognize faces, as in Facebook.
Places: Uses geotagging to find information about the latitude and longitude of a photo. This information can be supplied either by a newer camera with built-in gps capabilities, or manually by user input.
Slideshow Themes: Uses facial detection to properly position pictures in a slideshow. There's also support for Facebook and Flickr, with built-in geotagging.

iMovie '09
Dynamic Themes: Context-sensitive menus for clips, along with animated travel maps
Automatic Image Stabilization: Helps reduce motion in shaky video
Precision Editor: Video and audio
Advanced Drag and Drop: For placing video wherever you want it in the timeline
Video Effects: Brings back special effects to iMovie

GarageBand '09
Learn to Play: Teaches how to play an instrument with video instruction from professionals/celebrities. Nine basic lessons included, with additional downloads available at $4.99 each from within the app.

Since OS X 10.5.x is required to run the new iWork, Apple is also offering a package of OS X 10.5, iLife '09 and iWork '09 for $169. This "Mac Box Set" will ship in late January when iLife '09 ships.

Article Link: Apple Announces iLife '09

akbc

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
The Mac Box Set sounds like a great value.

I just hope they do the same with the Snow Leopard and iLife/iWork '09s :)

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I wish I had more uses for iWork, I'm not a heavy MSOffice user and I'm a big fan of iWork; Keynote just makes PPT look like a joke.

Why didn't they release a iWork/iLife combo pack for all of us already on Leopard?

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
The iMovie changes are enough for me to upgrade .. BUT my wife got a new Macobook 3 weeks ago ... no way am I paying to upgrade the full price from 08. I presume Apple will give a discount upgrade price? Anyone?

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Crap. I *just* bought iLife '08 because I got a new DSLR with a RAW format not supported in '06! Wouldn't be a big deal, but my wife is learning guitar, so the teaching feature is right up our alley at the moment.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
so you walk into an apple store today or tomorrow and they are selling the EXACT SAME THINGS they were selling yesterday. WHAT A TERRIBLE MACWORLD

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Facebook recognizes people's faces?

I know you can manually tag people in photos, but that is it. Seems like iPhoto will automatically look for the same person in other photos in your libaray...which is not something Facebook can do, unless I am missing something.

Looks like a good update to me. I think I will spring for it for the GarageBand update alone, which is by far my most used iLife app.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
The iMovie changes are enough for me to upgrade .. BUT my wife got a new Macobook 3 weeks ago ... no way am I paying to upgrade the full price from 08. I presume Apple will give a discount upgrade price? Anyone?

You would be wrong. It'll cost you $79 bucks or just get the family pack for $99.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
iDVD

iDVD '09 ?
a whopping $8.00 off for education price on iLife and iWork

and the matt screen only available on 17" ? and it costs 50.00 ?

yes I'm complaining.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
So, like every year, I get both upgrades. However, since I already own Leopard should I get the two stand-alone iLife and iWork packages or spend the extra $11 and get the Mac Box Set?

I guess I could then sell my Leopard copy on eBay.

iDVD '09 ?

Macworld said it was updated along with iWeb, but they just didn't mention it.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I am most interested in the lessons. Apple has a chance to really hit one out of the park with this concept.

In addition to pop stars teaching you to play their songs, they should find a talented, non-famous teacher that you can buy generic lessons from.

That would be amazing.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
The boxed set is nice for those who do not have Leopard, but wouldn't a combo set of just iLife and iWork be nice too?

Lack of lower level updates is disappointing.

ilife updates look cool, but they continue to find ways to make you part with cash (garageband lessons).

iWork updates are OK - and the only interesting thing will now be a pay service.

Overall - a bit letdown.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
Apple never offers discount upgrade prices for iLife - according to their site (and the liveblog), $79 is the upgrade price, as all macs come with iLife to begin with.

Second, there were some minor changes to iWeb as well - it looks like you can finally update one site at a time, rather than having to update all of your sites. Not sure if it was there in '08, but there's built in FTP now too (I use Transmit, so I've never really checked in '08 for FTP). There's a few other changes too, but not much.

<edit> On a personal note, I think this is the first time that I've seen an update to iLife (been using it since the start) that I didn't feel the urge to run out and buy it *right now*. It would be nice to have a few of the features, but I'm not really clamoring for them either. Of course, on my G4 beast of an eMac, the features I'd be most curious in trying out wouldn't work anyway, so maybe that's part of it... (garageband lessons and the new iMovie - this one looks like it might not suck!)

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
iWeb has been updated, iDVD is the same as before.

Only iLife 09 requires Leopard. iWork 09 will work on OSX 10.4.11.

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
A little underwhelmed, no wonder Steve took the day off. Still, I'll watch it tonight, the demos are actually quite good tutorials.

thefamousgrouse

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
AVCHD in iMovie?

Didn't notice any mention of easier AVCHD editing with iMovie, except for one somewhat confusing mention of AVCHD archiving in the 'new features' section on Apple.com. Anyone else hear/see anything that would give hope to AVCHD users not wanting to 'import' their video ag 8x - 10x the size of the original?

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
iLife requires an Intel processor. Anyone else think that Snow Leopard will support PPC? This looks like it will be with almost 100% certainty that it will not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.