PDA

View Full Version : What do you think is the future of APPLE

AndrewD
Mar 3, 2004, 03:58 PM
Hey everyone I bougt my 1st Mac in January (Refurb 15" PB), wow I sure do love it! Well, In my Advanced Marketing class I got the chance to do my Sr. Project on Apple. So, what I was wondering is:

What you think the future products of Apple should be?

What do you want that Apple doesn't provide now that you want?

Or, need?

Any other suggestions.

Thanks,
Andrew D

PS - Does anyone know where I can find either the old or new version of the 1984 video (.avi or .mpg)? I can't seem download the one off of the Apple website. Any help or suggstions would be greatly appreciated.

dudewheresmymac
Mar 3, 2004, 05:00 PM
well i think that there are two things that apple really needs to do if they wish to regain marketshare...

1 They need to lower thier prices... one of the main reasons that my friends that use wintel are not going to switch is price... they really dont need to lower the price on the PM cuz pros will pay for the lastest and greatest because in the long run it will save them, however, the imac and ibook need to be lowered in price by like 200-300 dollars because they are simply too costly for average computer users to buy

2 Apple needs to streamline their manufacturing process... while Dell and IBM can get your computer 24-48 hours if you really need it.... apple takes 1-2 just to deliver it to the shipping company... thats if there are no delays

I dont mean to sound anti-apple i am just trying to point out somethings that apple could do to improve their business

OnceUGoMac
Mar 3, 2004, 06:07 PM
Well, since McDonald's are going to stop. Apple should get into Super-sized fries. :p

vollspacken
Mar 3, 2004, 06:26 PM

that's easy: HARDWARE UPDATES!!!

vSpacken

Cervotragik
Mar 3, 2004, 07:09 PM
The total annihiliation of PCs!!! :D

Steven1621
Mar 3, 2004, 07:11 PM
I see Apple as venturing to more areas outside the standard computer hardware. With the success of the iPod and the mini, expect more entertainment products, most cross platform as well.

It is a well-understood fact that macs will never be as cheap as PC's. We'll never see a $399 iMac. The cheap computer isn't Apple's style. People don't buy German cars for the great deal; they buy them for the quality. Expect to see prices come down, but certainly no bargains.

The iLife set will continue to expand. Digitals lifestyle will be Apple's focus.

Bunzi2k4
Mar 3, 2004, 07:37 PM
Apple should make a watch that keeps the atomic time (when u sync it up to a comp) and possibly an ical function on it. and charges via firewire/usb...

dudewheresmymac
Mar 3, 2004, 07:49 PM
i totally agree with you steve1621 macs will never be very cheap machines... but i still think that apple should always try to find way to lower prices for the consumers and they will start to see their marketshare increase

Steven1621
Mar 3, 2004, 09:36 PM
i totally agree with you steve1621 macs will never be very cheap machines... but i still think that apple should always try to find way to lower prices for the consumers and they will start to see their marketshare increase

apple really needs a mid range model. the imac line is supposed to be geared for consumers. the only problem is that the prices jump from 1299 to 1799. i would have to say that that is a rather large gap. a 17 in imac priced at about 1499 would be a pretty good idea. the emac line really doesn't cut it. people want lcd's nowadays. the entire imac line needs to be improved. drop the price of the 15in model down to 1100, put a 17in at 1499, and the 20in at 1999 and you have a more consumer-friendly price scheme. the problem is the cost to profit ratio, but i will leave that up to apple to figure out.

blackfox
Mar 4, 2004, 10:17 AM
The Future of Apple? Well, I feel they will continue to be a niche computer market, just perhaps with a larger niche...I feel w/ the advent of IBM based processors in Macs, the smart aesthetic design employed, and the current diversification into connectivity/entertainment...Apple will continue to make beautiful and innnovative machines that incorporate technologies in thoughtful and easy-to-use fashion...the PC world will, of course, also implement these same technologies, usually not as seamlessly, and coupled with Apples' high price point, will not allow Apple to be a viable option for every consumer...but the more clever things Apple implements, the higher its' profile becomes (e.g ITMS) and the more customers it will attract. And once you go mac, you never go back...(I would hope)...whatever happens, I'll be right there w/ them.

kuyu
Mar 4, 2004, 10:44 AM
Apple should, and probably will, continue to expand the digital lifestyle market. However, I would like to see apple expand into the network business by building the hardware that will allow 10+ Mbit web access. Korea and Japan already have it, and it's a matter of time until Americans do as well. It's a market waiting to tapped for profits.

Like others have said, a lower price point for the consumer lines would be nice. I'm a consumer, but I'll likely buy a G5 tower, because the price doesn't justify the power on the low-end lines.

Oh yeah, they should build an expandable midlevel system. This "no upgrade" crap is really a weak point, and keeps many people from switching.

Bilba
Mar 4, 2004, 10:57 AM
Hey everyone I bougt my 1st Mac in January (Refurb 15" PB), wow I sure do love it! Well, In my Advanced Marketing class I got the chance to do my Sr. Project on Apple. So, what I was wondering is:

What you think the future products of Apple should be?

Or, need?

Any other suggestions.

Thanks,
Andrew D

PS - Does anyone know where I can find either the old or new version of the 1984 video (.avi or .mpg)? I can't seem download the one off of the Apple website. Any help or suggstions would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure if that's what you are looking for, but I did once an analysis on Apple's merger with Emagic. If you are unfamiler with the case, its about Apple buying a leading pro-audio software provider. Following the merger Emagic stopped its development of P.C products, and Apple came out with various audio software. It is an interesting case, which you might want to look at in isulation, or as part of a larger waves of mergers by Apple, mainly in the Video/Audio arena.

Good luck with your project...

rdowns
Mar 7, 2004, 06:08 PM
You can find the 1984 and lots of others here:

http://www.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/movies.html

raynegus
Mar 7, 2004, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the link rdowns. That Hal commercial rocks!

Applespider
Mar 8, 2004, 06:41 AM
Two things - one from marketing, one from R&D point of view

1 From marketing - don't just tell people to switch 'cos the OS is easier and it looks nicer. People can see the second and the OS doesn't mean much to most people; they use programs. Show them what the iApps can do - when Windows XP came out they showed ads with people plugging in cameras, making movies etc. People aren't aware that Macs can do that at all - let along easier! Show them that things open from Word, from their office etc.

I'd love to see an ad - 'A day in the life of a Powerbook/iBook'
7am - lifts the lid and wakes from sleep instantly, checks weather
8am - in the local Starbucks for breakfast, surfing the web
9am - in the office working on Word/Excel type document (it's not just for designers as many seem to think!), wirelessly connected to network
3pm - in a park with kids and digital camera/video camera
6pm - back home, uploading your iMovie to .mac homepage (heck, do it from the park with a GPRS phone!)

Secondly, more and more homes are becoming more and more minimalist. People don't want lots of cables etc. They're going to want seamless record to Tivo-style DVD and onto PC. Windows Mediacenter is already promising this so encouraging people to buy it - no talk of the difficulty of actually making the darn thing work tho!

There's talk about making appliances in the home with Bluetooth modules so they talk to each other. I don't think it'll happen in the next couple of years but I can see it happening in the next 5 to 10. I don't want Apple left out of that, I want to see them developing options for manufacturers to make things run with OSX (or whatever Superbowl style number we're up to then!). Makes much more sense - I mean with Windows bugs, I can imagine coming home to find that the oven turned itself on instead of the video, the fridge turned itself off rather than the poolcleaner, the front door unlocked and opened itself instead of the catflap so now there's nothing left in the house anyway. :p

the future
Mar 8, 2004, 07:15 AM
I'd love to see an ad - 'A day in the life of a Powerbook/iBook'

That's a very good idea. Apple should just realize that most people quite simply do not know what you can do with their products which is *everything* you can do with a PC, and more.

jade
Mar 9, 2004, 03:37 AM
Apple should reallt capitalize on the heavy criticize of Microsoft operating systems and start targeting the Enterprise and Small business customers. A huge hurdle for consumers is buying a product that is different than the one they use at work.

Windows is weakened at this point. IT guys and growing countries are switching to Linux, people are looking for alternatives to Microsoft Office.

Apples key advantage here is integration, Unix-based OS, user friendlt interface and availible standard programs. The key challlenes: expensive hardware, no corporate tower and vendor lock-in, no enterprise-class support option (24-7, fast turn around times on repairs)

IBM and Apple have a lot of potential and IBM could help Apple overcome some of the core weakness in targeting businesses.

Apple's can really shine in a small business environment, but these guys don't realize it is an option for them: standard programs, easy networking and easy administration, but Apple hasn' made this a key mainstream marketing message.

With the increasing success with ipod and itunes Apple had increased mindshare greatly and I hope Apple doesn't let this chance in the spotlight slip away and disappear quiety.

Did you know Apple is the #2 vendor of 802.11g home networking gear? Behind Linksys. http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2004/tc20040219_0887_tc056.htm

Yeah I am sure Apple didn't either: where's the press release. How about the press release for Airport's Wi-Fi certification? Or how the ibook gets 6 hours of battery life on a standard battery? Or what about the xgrid? Rendezvous?

All of these open standards are not in the minds of potential customers and partners, Apple still looks like a pretty closed system.

My top 3 goals for Apple:
1. Start a serious campaign to woo business customers with the xserve and MAc OS X Server.
2. Do some joint marketing and product launches with IBM: nothing like Big Blue to up your profile
3. Get a handle on inventory for product hits like ipods, ibooks and powerbooks and keep them in the stores on time. Being sold out is only good PR for 1 day, after that everyone goeas to buy something else.

AndrewD
Mar 9, 2004, 10:28 AM
Hey everyone the ideas are great! And the support that you all have given in this endeavour is, well I guess is what you expect from Mac people (helpful, friendly, and ready to support the Mac) :) .

Well, we had our 1st team meeting on this project yesterday adn I wanted to run an idea by you all: an eMac with an 15" lcd (flip up from the case), the idea is to be small and simple, easy to store on a shelf. Also, have a line geared toward kids - bright color plates that can be placed on the face of the monitor to give it a COOL look. Maybe a tie in with Pixar characters. And, the fact that Apple should get back to the Newton regeneration (WiFi, Bluetooth, USB support, SD slot, 400mhz, OS XIp (p=pocket). The ads would be centerd around "wrap your hands around the world."

Anyway, Ido appreciate the ideas, more are welcome.

Have a great day!

AndrewD :D

Opteron
Mar 10, 2004, 12:41 AM
Apple need to increase the "Preformace pre Price" ratio.

Thus more for less. Software developers are begining to not develop for apple becuase the user base just isn't there.

Also a second button on the standard apple mous would do wonders.

jiggie2g
Mar 10, 2004, 02:20 AM
I know i might get flamed for this.

I see apple leaving the Desktop Market with in 5yrs , I say this because even though ther G5 is a great chip apple will never be able to sell them in the Volume that IBM would require inordewr for them to make a profit and justify manufaturing cost in the long run. let's face it apple had a very modest 3% market share and will continue to shrink unless apple lowers the prices of thier PC's or if the G5 end up out performing the P4-P5 the same way the G3 spanked the P2 so they can Justify the price.

It's just to little to late for Apple to regain any major market share in it's current form. market share will continue to shrink no matter what and IBM will dump them them same way Motorola did when it's all said and done. IBM will make 10X more money making off G5's for the stupid Xbox2's than they ever will dealing with Apple. If apple wants to stay a Desktop company they will have to go Intel/AMD and take thier chances or else even Linux wil pass OSX in 5yrs and Apple will really be 6ft under.

Windows users are just to Ignorant and stubborn as a whole to even attempt to use a mac for 5min and really see it's advantages. all they know is that Mac's suck and AOL is cool...LOL. they still believe the old bull of yrs ago about macs not being compatible with anything and trying to convice them otherwise is like trying to push a car uphill.

Apple however can still compete in the notebook markey since it's not as dominated by 1or 2 companys like the desktop market is. IBM did this and it worked out well for them.

Really is Apple going to the other side such a bad thing, if some one can fix the screwed up Windows world it's Apple. they can Sell OSX to microsoft or help them intergrate it into Windows thus making whole new OS that will benifit PC users and old Mac users alike. i'm sure Bill Gates just envys OSX and would not hesitate to copy it all of he could (he's done it b4). this would help Apple because they would not have to spend so much money on R&D , they can just make the Cases and let the Hardware Manufacturer's deal with the inside parts. This way Apple can now sell Mac's at prices that rival HP and Dell. Apple can take the place Sony once occupied with there soon to be extinct Vaio line.

or

Apple can also just leave the Hardware Business all together and do what they do best Software. iLife on PC would surely become the Dominant Consumer Creative Suite because it just out does the competition.

in the End and i've said this b4 Apple will expand thier Horizons even further and Become a Consumer Electronics Company(and they can do it 100X better than stupid gateway). Plus all the Talk of Apple working with Sony and a Possible Merger ,unlikely but think about it Sony really needs someone to save thier PC line and who better than Apple to the Rescue. Apple saves Sony's PC Line up and Sony Puts Apple in the Consumer Elec. Market ...Win Win situation..............SonyApple anyone???

Bunzi2k4
Mar 10, 2004, 02:30 AM
Arms his Blow-torch :mad:

hahaha... man you said it. if apple does puts their operating system to pc, i'll buy a pc with osx on it. heck that would be really cool to have a dual boot.

ph8te
Mar 10, 2004, 02:50 AM
I think Apple's future will continue to be succesful if they keep following the same strategy as they are now. A lot of fellow macrumors users are saying that Apple should lower their entry level prices, but I tend to disagree. Owning an Apple computer is a status symbol, and by making it cheaper, the feeling of superiority an Apple user has over a PC user is then lost.

What Apple does need to improve on is shipping and delivery. Although waiting periods are common when buying a car, it is not advisable when offering a computer system. If I have $ 2000.00 in my pocket, and I decide to buy a computer, my first choice might be Apple, but when I enquire about an Apple computer and then get told that I have to wait for it, i become a bit dishearted, and on the way home decide to pop in to the local PC-Vendor, who can give me a good PC (if ever there is a good PC) right away. Since I was prepared to spend money anyway that day I am now easily persuaded to buy a PC instead of the Apple because I can take the PC home with me.

Personally I think Apple would enjoy a much greater market share if this problem were solved.

j_maddison
Mar 10, 2004, 05:01 AM
I know i might get flamed for this.

I see apple leaving the Desktop Market with in 5yrs , I say this because even though ther G5 is a great chip apple will never be able to sell them in the Volume that IBM would require inordewr for them to make a profit and justify manufaturing cost in the long run. let's face it apple had a very modest 3% market share and will continue to shrink unless apple lowers the prices of thier PC's or if the G5 end up out performing the P4-P5 the same way the G3 spanked the P2 so they can Justify the price.

Yes I agree with you, unless there is a paradigm shift to being more externally market focused then sadly I also think apple will possibly be out of business in Five years, as a desktop producer.

One thing I'd like to mention is that the current consumer market still thinks you can only use a mac for graphic design work, and I'd level alot of that blame on graphic designers themselves (basing this opinion on the UK). When I was considering buying my first mac, approx four years ago, i asked the opinion of a few friends who were graphic designers. they all told me to buy a wintel machine. I was told on many an occasion, by graphic designers, that macs were good for graphic work and that wintel machines were superior for everything else. If it wasnt for the fact i fell in love with the colour and shape of a indigo imac, i'd be using a wintel right now. and before anyone starts saying, but that was just your friends who were ignorant, trust me i've heard it many a time since.

Also i think its a mistake to have such big gaps between the power user line and the consumer line. I've said it before on other posts, get the fastest G5 in all of apples machines. Seperate the pro lines by usiing duallies or by giving some other advantage. also bring back the colour, i'd make the emacs all colour. I dont know how they are prices in the usa, but my perception is that their a cheap computer in the uk and perfectly priced for entry level computer buyers. what holds back the line is the lack of colour and the lack of power.

Finally i happen to agree that Apple needs to release a few advertisments showing consumers what they can do on a mac, pros already know what a mac can do.

Theres lots more i want to say, but i'll just end up hogging the forum.
later
jay

alphaq619
Mar 11, 2004, 07:53 PM
There is a really good interview (http://workingknowledge.hbs.edu/pubitem.jhtml?id=3877&t=marketing) with a smart guy from Harvard. It talks about the 3 different ways Apple could go from it's current standing.

It's a very good insight into the company's future. Anyways, this guy believes that the best way to increase Apple's revenue is to switch to an AMD/Intel platform. Yes, we've heard this all before, but the interesting twist is that he believes that Apple should scrap their OS and use Windows. In essence, become what Sony has failed to become.

As shocking as it may sound, his reasoning has some very good merit. The OS probably takes millions to develop (paying engineers, R&D, etc.). They could save a lot of money by just letting go of their OS. Apple could bring all their iApps to the Windows side (they already have iTunes and QuickTime for Windows), use their industrial design expertise, and build Windows boxes. They would lure customers by their industrial design and the iApps we have all grown to love.

As much as I love the company, the only realistic way to gain any "significant" market share would be to do what this guy suggests. As long as Jobs is CEO, however, he would never let this happen. But an interesting idea nonetheless.

Frisco
Mar 18, 2004, 12:09 AM
There is a really good interview (http://workingknowledge.hbs.edu/pubitem.jhtml?id=3877&t=marketing) with a smart guy from Harvard. It talks about the 3 different ways Apple could go from it's current standing.

It's a very good insight into the company's future. Anyways, this guy believes that the best way to increase Apple's revenue is to switch to an AMD/Intel platform. Yes, we've heard this all before, but the interesting twist is that he believes that Apple should scrap their OS and use Windows. In essence, become what Sony has failed to become.

As shocking as it may sound, his reasoning has some very good merit. The OS probably takes millions to develop (paying engineers, R&D, etc.). They could save a lot of money by just letting go of their OS. Apple could bring all their iApps to the Windows side (they already have iTunes and QuickTime for Windows), use their industrial design expertise, and build Windows boxes. They would lure customers by their industrial design and the iApps we have all grown to love.

As much as I love the company, the only realistic way to gain any "significant" market share would be to do what this guy suggests. As long as Jobs is CEO, however, he would never let this happen. But an interesting idea nonetheless.

Alpha,

Thanks for the link. It was a very interesting read. I agree with him. Apple really needs marketshare and unfortunately switching over to AMD/Intel and licensing Mac OS again is the only way I see them gaining it.

Apple finally must realize it is a software company--not a hardware company. The iPod is great, but it is Apple's lifesupport for dwindling revenues (in Mac sales) and marketshare.

It's time for Steve Jobs to "Think Different!"