Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shouldberunning

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Hi peoples:

So I just bought a new MacBook White and I want to back up my original install disks.
If I make a .cdr image with disk utilities and then burn that to a double layer disk, will that new disk be bootable? Will it just be a new disk with a .cdr file on it?

When I bought my iBookG4 a few years ago I had a Windows machine and I used Nero to do a 'DiskCopy'. I no longer have that option.

TY

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Yes - that will work fine for the Mac OSX files and it will be bootable.

The only thing that won't be on the backup are the Leopard Windows BootCamp drivers - not sure if that is important to you or not......

shouldberunning

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Yes - that will work fine for the Mac OSX files and it will be bootable.

The only thing that won't be on the backup are the Leopard Windows BootCamp drivers - not sure if that is important to you or not......

Hmm... those files are kind of important to me. Maybe I can borrow my kid's Windows machine and use Nero again to make an exact bit-for-bit copy.

Ty for the info. :)

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Not to contradict the earlier post, but when I created a disk image in Disk Utility of the Leopard installer disk, it did indeed copy the BC drivers as long as I selected "DVD/CD Master" as the Image Format selection.

I'm not sure why logana's image did not do that successfully if that image format was selected...:confused:

shouldberunning

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Not to contradict the earlier post, but when I created a disk image in Disk Utility of the Leopard installer disk, it did indeed copy the BC drivers as long as I selected "DVD/CD Master" as the Image Format selection.

I'm not sure why logana's image did not do that successfully if that image format was selected...:confused:

Hmm... interesting, I would have thought as much. As far as I can figure a .cdr should be a bit-for-bit image (Mirror image, but I've never liked the word "mirror" in this sense because a "mirror image" of something is actually backwards)

Anyway, thank you both. I'll try the .cdr way 1st and if for some reason that doesn't work I'll move on to the Windows and Nero approach.

I'll post an update afterwards to let you know what happened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.