Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2003
Hello all,

I recently started a website for readers of and writers for literary magazines. I put a lot of work into learning MySQL and PHP so i could make the site very searchable. I'm curious if ya'll could give me some feedback on it. I've started sending messages to lit mags asking them to submit their magazines to the site.

here's the site: http://litmags.org

For those of you who aren't writers, there are a buttload of literary magazines, which are often the places where writers first publish their work. Most short stories in short story collections are published first individually in literary magazines. The same goes for poetry. Big name and small name writers alike publish in these mags. In order to get your work placed (unless you are already an all-star), you must submit work to the magazine, wait for a while (usually several months) for the magazine to say whether they want to publish your story or not. The problem is, because htere are so many literary magazines, and so few of them are well known (there are probably under 20 literary magazines with circulations above 10,000, but there are over 2,000 literary magazines in publication right now) it often is very frustrating trying to find new literary magazines to read or submit to. EOnly the most indie book stores will carry more than a dozen different literary magazines, and each magazine has it's own idea about what literature should do. Matching yourself with the right magazine is very difficult.

SOOO, my website is supposed to help people find mags that they'd like to read or submit to.

Do you all think it's doing that?

Sorry I'm so long-winded...

thanks,

max

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.