Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smllpx

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
I would prefer GPL software, then freeware, but I will write/script my own if I can't find any.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
It's easy. If you're using Mac OS X, at the top menu bar hit Go, then Connect to Server. (Or you can just hit Apple+K in the Finder).

Fill out all the information the server asks for. It will mount on your desktop if the username and password are correct. Simply drag it from your desktop to the right side of your dock where folders and drives can be kept, and click that whenever you need to connect to the FTP server.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
StealthRider: i think you were thinking "FTP" where he typed "SFTP". SFTP is a completely different protocol than FTP - it's part of SSH. What you're suggesting isn't going to work, unless you've got some sort of SFTP system extension that I don't know about (and if that's true, please tell me because I want it!).

smllpx: I don't believe this is possible. There is a linux project that's working on an SSH file mount (it's called shfs or sshfs, something like that); but 1) it's kinda buggy cuz it's pre-alpha and 2) it's probably not gonna work with OS X anyway. If I remember correctly it required you to compile a kernel module (on Linux) for it to work.

Fugu is probably the closest thing available. It gives you a GUI front end to SFTP and SCP.

http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Westside guy said:
StealthRider: i think you were thinking "FTP" where he typed "SFTP". SFTP is a completely different protocol than FTP - it's part of SSH. What you're suggesting isn't going to work, unless you've got some sort of SFTP system extension that I don't know about (and if that's true, please tell me because I want it!).

smllpx: I don't believe this is possible. There is a linux project that's working on an SSH file mount (it's called shfs or sshfs, something like that); but 1) it's kinda buggy cuz it's pre-alpha and 2) it's probably not gonna work with OS X anyway. If I remember correctly it required you to compile a kernel module (on Linux) for it to work.

Fugu is probably the closest thing available. It gives you a GUI front end to SFTP and SCP.

http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/

Oops, sorry, didn't see the "S". Don't listen to me. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.