Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macaddict23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
MacVille, USA
When the user clicks on the "Submit" button, I would like both the questions and answers e-mailed to me. For example, can I insert an entire sentence in the "name" area?

<form action="FormToEmail.php" method="post">
<ol>
<li>Do you take any medications for a heart condition?<br> Yes<input type="radio" name="Do you take any medications for a heart condition?" value="yes">/ No<input type="radio" name="Do you take any medications for a heart condition?" value="no">
</li>
</ol>
</form>

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
This is pretty simple to accomplish in PHP. There are quite a few ready made scripts freely available if you do a bit of Googling. I'd pound one out for you real quick, but I've been coding all day already so I don't wanna. :D

I don't recommend using spaces in the name attributes though. Use underscores and do an ereg_replace() in the PHP script to change them to spaces for the email output.

macaddict23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
MacVille, USA
I have the survey built. The php file does what it’s supposed to do. Everything works, but I just the questions in the e-mail output not to have underscores after each word. Attached is the php code from FormToEmail.com. Where do I place “ereg_replace()”?

PHP:
<?php

$my_email = "myemailaddress@yahoo.com";

$continue = "/";

$errors = array();

// Remove $_COOKIE elements from $_REQUEST.

if(count($_COOKIE)){foreach(array_keys($_COOKIE) as $value){unset($_REQUEST[$value]);}}

// Validate email field.

if(isset($_REQUEST['email']) && !empty($_REQUEST['email']))
{

$_REQUEST['email'] = trim($_REQUEST['email']);

if(substr_count($_REQUEST['email'],"@") != 1 || stristr($_REQUEST['email']," ")){$errors[] = "Email address is invalid";}else{$exploded_email = explode("@",$_REQUEST['email']);if(empty($exploded_email[0]) || strlen($exploded_email[0]) > 64 || empty($exploded_email[1])){$errors[] = "Email address is invalid";}else{if(substr_count($exploded_email[1],".") == 0){$errors[] = "Email address is invalid";}else{$exploded_domain = explode(".",$exploded_email[1]);if(in_array("",$exploded_domain)){$errors[] = "Email address is invalid";}else{foreach($exploded_domain as $value){if(strlen($value) > 63 || !preg_match('/^[a-z0-9-]+$/i',$value)){$errors[] = "Email address is invalid"; break;}}}}}}

}

// Check referrer is from same site.

if(!(isset($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']) && !empty($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']) && stristr($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'],$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']))){$errors[] = "You must enable referrer logging to use the form";}

// Check for a blank form.

function recursive_array_check_blank($element_value)
{

global $set;

if(!is_array($element_value)){if(!empty($element_value)){$set = 1;}}
else
{

foreach($element_value as $value){if($set){break;} recursive_array_check_blank($value);}

}

}

recursive_array_check_blank($_REQUEST);

if(!$set){$errors[] = "You cannot send a blank form";}

unset($set);

// Display any errors and exit if errors exist.

if(count($errors)){foreach($errors as $value){print "$value<br>";} exit;}

if(!defined("PHP_EOL")){define("PHP_EOL", strtoupper(substr(PHP_OS,0,3) == "WIN") ? "\r\n" : "\n");}

// Build message.

function build_message($request_input){if(!isset($message_output)){$message_output ="";}if(!is_array($request_input)){$message_output = $request_input;}else{foreach($request_input as $key => $value){if(!empty($value)){if(!is_numeric($key)){$message_output .= str_replace("_"," ",ucfirst($key)).": ".build_message($value).PHP_EOL.PHP_EOL;}else{$message_output .= build_message($value).", ";}}}}return rtrim($message_output,", ");}

$message = build_message($_REQUEST);

$message = $message . PHP_EOL.PHP_EOL."-- ".PHP_EOL."Thank you for using FormToEmail from http://FormToEmail.com";

$message = stripslashes($message);

$subject = "FormToEmail Comments";

$subject = stripslashes($subject);

$from_name = "";

if(isset($_REQUEST['name']) && !empty($_REQUEST['name'])){$from_name = stripslashes($_REQUEST['name']);}

$headers = "From: {$from_name} <{$_REQUEST['email']}>";

mail($my_email,$subject,$message,$headers);

?>

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html>

<head>
<title>Form To Email PHP script from FormToEmail.com</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>

<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">

<div>
<center>
<b>Thank you <?php if(isset($_REQUEST['name'])){print stripslashes($_REQUEST['name']);} ?></b>
<br>Your message has been sent
<p><a href="<?php print $continue; ?>">Click here to continue</a></p>
<p><b>FormToEmail</b> by <a href="http://FormToEmail.com">FormToEmail.com</a></p>
</center>
</div>

</body>
</html>

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
First, you should use the PHP button when posting PHP code so it looks nicer in posts (see below for example). I suggest going back and editing the post. In the toolbar there's a PHP button (you may need to go to the advanced edit mode to see it).

I took a look at the build_message function and I believe that's where the change needs to be made. Below is the function rewritten. I only edited one line really, you'll see a comment that says "remove underscores from name attribute" and that's where I made the change. Using ereg_replace isn't necessary here. I'm not 100% about the code since I can't test it.

PHP:
function build_message($request_input)
{
  if (!isset($message_output)) {
    $message_output ="";
  }
  if (!is_array($request_input)) {
    // remove underscores from name attribute
    $message_output = str_replace("_"," ",$request_input);
  }
  else {
    foreach ($request_input as $key => $value) {
      if (!empty($value)) {
        if (!is_numeric($key)) {
          $message_output .= str_replace("_"," ",ucfirst($key)).": ".build_message($value).PHP_EOL.PHP_EOL;
        }
        else {
          $message_output .= build_message($value).", ";
        }
      }
    }
  }
  return rtrim($message_output,", ");
}

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.