Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fbcg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Can the new MBA(ver 2) run XP through vmware smoothly? I want to use office and some program software on XP. I want to buy the 1.6G version.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
Works just fine for me. I have the 1.8/SSD Air though, and it still takes a bit of a performance hit when I have the VM running.

I run XP pro in VMWare with the smallest possible partition and the least possible RAM and only use it to sync my Blackberry and reload OSs on it.

alphaxono

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2008
Can the new MBA(ver 2) run XP through vmware smoothly? I want to use office and some program software on XP. I want to buy the 1.6G version.

I have VMWare running on my Rev A 1.6/80 and it is running fine with just 512MB assigned. Speed is good and enough for basic tasks like MS Office etc.

Rev B. should run VMWare even better...

WPB2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Southeast, LA
I had a rev.A MBA 80/1.6GHZ running Parallels XP pro, and it got really hot, and froze up a few times.

I know its not the same a VMware but its close.

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
Rev B SSD ran the new fusion faster than parallels, esp. a suspended restore

johnnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2008
Not here
Right now I'm running VMware Fusion on my Rev B SSD with 1024MB of RAM assigned to the guest OS.

I have the following apps running concurrently, using a 24" monitor in 1920x1200, under XP Pro SP3:

Outlook
Word
Cisco IP Phone w/USB headset
Cisco VPN Client
MS Office Communicator
IE7

Plus I have Firefox and Adium running in OSX. The machine isn't running hot, and while I've seen better VMware performance, it's COMPLETELY workable, even with all this stuff running.

And, since the SSD is relatively speedy, suspend/restore times are pretty good.

John

fbcg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
OK, It seem that the VMWARE can be run on MBA ver b smoothly. Thank for your reply.

My another question. Will it be very slow if I run the VMWARE on a hdd version than a SSD version MBA? Cause the MBA just have 2G RAM. My budget is not high enough to buy a SSD version .

dlblarg

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2008
Seattle
OK, It seem that the VMWARE can be run on MBA ver b smoothly. Thank for your reply.

My another question. Will it be very slow if I run the VMWARE on a hdd version than a SSD version MBA? Cause the MBA just have 2G RAM. My budget is not high enough to buy a SSD version .

VMware rocks for me on the air, but DO NOT remove a USB device via the task bar in XP, it'll kernel panic everytime. Just stop the guest OS and then pull the usb device out.

leez

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2008
UK
I do, on my Air Rev A 1.6 80GB HDD. Search for TinyXP Rev 0.9, the smallest possible XP ever made (not official). But you need to have a legit XP license, of course. It's running really nice there, I use it only to sync it with my mp3 player and some media player tv streaming, which OS X don't support, for now (tvn24.pl - live stream).

propheci

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2007
On my rev A, I'm running Windows 7 Beta through Fusion. Not a lot of intense apps though, Firefox/Adium in OSX and Chrome/Messenger in Windows. Runs pretty well but some animations and sound effects feel a little sluggish. I have 1GB for Windows 7. I turned off all the visual effects in Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.