Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I have an opportunity to get either at 20GB or 40GB iPod at US$ EDU prices.
This means (inc. a delivery charge) I can get a 20GB iPod for £210, or a 40GB for £264. I don't need 40GB, but it just seems like such a good deal, and a "once in a lifetime" chance.

What would you do?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
edesignuk said:
This means (inc. a delivery charge) I can get a 20GB iPod for £210, or a 40GB for £264. I don't need 40GB, but it just seems like such a good deal, and a "once in a lifetime" chance.

What would you do?
Ok you say you don't need it, but will you use more than the 20GB? If not you've wasted money.

I have a 10GB iPod (biggest available when I got it) and yes, it is full and yes I could use a bigger unit. I don't need a bigger iPod, so I'll wait until my current one needs service.

I guess figure out if you're going to use it for more than music and if so how much space you could use in the next couple of years (or however long before you envision replacing it).

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I am not sure just how much the difference in price is worth to you and your budget. For the difference of 50 pounds i might get the 40gb so that I had portable storage for my PB. Only because I have over 16gb of music on my 20gb iPod.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
This is the thing, I don't actually even have enough music to fill my G1 10GB iPod. But I do like the idea of also using it as a portable hard drive. £50 is not a great deal extra to double the capacity, but £50 is still £50. Ah, decisions, decisions...

Also I'd want to get an eXo 2 case to protect it, I don't want it getting scratched up like my G1 10GB, and that's another £25 (buying in the UK).

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
It sounds like you're buying it just to buy it. So don't. If your current iPod has enough space for you then why bother? I have a 1st gen 10 GB iPod and I have yet to fill it up except when I use it as an external HD.... yeah it'd be "cool" to have a newer bigger one but really it doesn't do me anything... save your money!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
SilentPanda, I suppose I kind of am. But I'm sure I could sell my 10GB and get something back for it. Plus I do use my iPod every single day of the year, of anything I've ever bought, my iPod has had the most use. It'd be nice to get a nice new, shiny, smaller iPod after 2yrs+ good service from my G1 10GB.

elephanttrainer

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2002
edesignuk said:
SilentPanda, I suppose I kind of am. But I'm sure I could sell my 10GB and get something back for it. Plus I do use my iPod every single day of the year, of anything I've ever bought, my iPod has had the most use. It'd be nice to get a nice new, shiny, smaller iPod after 2yrs+ good service from my G1 10GB.

If you want a new one, do it. But go for the 20gb. The 20 is half the capacity of the 40, but it is almost half the SIZE as well!!

I have a 30 gb, and it is the same size as the 40. I would switch for 20 in no time and get the extra $100 back!

: )
Good luck!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
SilentPanda said:
Wait... just... wait... pay off your Apple loan... :) Aren't we all supposed to have one?
heh, I don't have any loans to pay off :D
elephanttrainer said:
If you want a new one, do it. But go for the 20gb. The 20 is half the capacity of the 40, but it is almost half the SIZE as well!!

I have a 30 gb, and it is the same size as the 40. I would switch for 20 in no time and get the extra $100 back!

: )
Good luck!
That's a good point, maybe I need to see them in person.
But it isn't *that* much bigger is it? Is it very noticeable?

elephanttrainer

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2002
edesignuk said:
heh, I don't have any loans to pay off :D

That's a good point, maybe I need to see them in person.
But it isn't *that* much bigger is it? Is it very noticeable?

YES! It is very noticeable! It is also much heavier. Of course this is just relative, but I encourage you to look at them in person if you have the chance.

The actual size differences can be seen below, although it doesn't seem like much, it does make a difference. I have a fairly large mp3 collection with a bit rate of 192 bps or more(large files). I also store data on my iPod. RIght now, I am using about 16 gigs. I realize now that the 20gig would work for me, not the 15 as it was when I picked mine up. (BTW, I don't put all my music on my iPod, just my highest rated, 3 stars and above : )

5.6 ounces
6.2 ounces

2.4 x 4.1 x .62 inches
2.4 x 4.1 x .73 inches

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
keep in mind you can use the extra 20 gigs as harddrive space..that might help

sinisterdesign

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2003
atlanta
uh, DUH?

short-sighted people...

think of it this way, are you going to STOP discovering & listening to new bands??!? hopefully not.

i got the 20 when it first came out. i'm now out of room & i can't even upload my latest playlist. AND, i haven't ripped 2/3 of the songs on my CDs (i don't want all those songs w/ me all the time). i've had to stop downloading stuff from iTMS for the time being! i'm waiting on a new rev to drop some $$$ on a 40 (or 60GB!).

sure, the new 20GB is slightly smaller, but my old 20GB fits on my desk & in my car just fine. i don't think a couple ounces & 1/10ths of inches is going to make or break you carrying it around w/ you, BUT twice the gigabytes equals twice the ass-kicking-scroll-wheeling fun.

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
edesignuk said:

What would you do?

Personally for £50 extra i would definitely get the 40GB.
I personally have the 30GB and of that about 6GB is music. The rest of the time i use it to backup my system and it makes for very handy portable storage. Last year i had to burn about 9 CDs to back up my stuff before i could do a fresh install. About a month ago i decided to do a clean install and it was so handy to have that much space on my ipod available. Plus the firewire connection made things even better when it came to restoring my system. I turned what would normally take 3+ hours into a 1 1/2 hr affair.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I think I'm leaning towards the 20GB, the 40GB seems a better buy. But I do want it to be as small and as light as possible (don't say a word about the mini, not interested!). If I get the 20GB, I can get it, and a nice eXo 2 case for well under £250, which sounds good to me. On my current 10GB I am only using about 3.5GB, and my collection doesn't expand very fast at all, so I think it'd easily last me until any radical changes were made to the iPod making me want a new one :D

Is what I'm saying making sense? Or do you think I'm crazy to pass up the 40GB?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Made up my mind...

Ok, I've gone with the 20GB, should be here next week with a bit of luck, and I'll be saving almost £100 (33%!!!) on the UK price
dancing.gif

Now to get that eXo 2 case ordered, any recommendations on where's best to order in the UK? I was looking at http://www.everything-ipod.co.uk, they claim to have them in stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.