PDA

View Full Version : Site of National Hyunda Tiburon Meet

Josh
Mar 4, 2004, 09:35 AM
Here is a quick site I made for a national car meet that I started.

http://www.tibathon.com

Its nothing fancy, just thought I'd share!

mnkeybsness
Mar 4, 2004, 10:15 AM
Here is a quick site I made for a national car meet that I started.

http://www.tibathon.com

Its nothing fancy, just thought I'd share!

why is the whole left side of the page a big open black space?
it seems kind of wasteful.

Josh
Mar 4, 2004, 10:55 AM
why is the whole left side of the page a big open black space?
it seems kind of wasteful.

The same reason the right side is as well.

It keeps the content centered on the screen regardless of the users resolution.

At 800x600, there will be no black sides...anything bigger and equal sized black "stripes" appear on both sides of the main content.

The content is 800 pixels wide, that well never change regardless of resolution. If everything was aligned to the left, then the gap on the right side would only get 2 times bigger. It wouldnt change how much space is "wasted".

mystixman
Mar 4, 2004, 01:43 PM
It's not centered, It's anchored to the right side.

Josh
Mar 4, 2004, 01:58 PM
It's not centered, It's anchored to the right side.

:confused: :confused: How so?

There is a frame in center that is 800 pixels wide, and one 50% relative frame on both sides.

Theres no way it could be anchored to the right side unless there wasnt the frame on the right hand side.

There is seriously no black space on the right side?? Perhaps that is a safari issue.

I created it and viewed it under IE on windows, and everyone who has seen it (100+ people on windows) have never seen such a thing.

Im very curious now - and glad you are pointing that out.

Could you post a screenshot for me? Thank you.

This is what it should (and does in IE) look like:

evil
Mar 4, 2004, 02:42 PM
yep its anchored to the right side on mine too. i am using safari

also i used to own a 99tiburon, i had to sell it when i moved to toronto. now i dont own a car.

Josh
Mar 4, 2004, 03:17 PM
I just got on a mac at school and went to the page with safari, and I now see what youre talking about.

Thats really wierd....

At first, it showed it without the black on either side (as 800x600 users would see it full screen) but when I made the window bigger by dragging the corner, it just made the black space on the left much bigger - anchoring the page to the right the whole while.

Only happens in safari though. IE on the mac displayed it correctly.

Why would safari do this??? Hmm...really strange.

Rower_CPU
Mar 4, 2004, 03:27 PM
Probably because you're using a frameset and the right and left columns are set to 50%.

This is not a correct implementation of frames for what you're trying to do.

Josh
Mar 4, 2004, 03:42 PM
Probably because you're using a frameset and the right and left columns are set to 50%.

This is not a correct implementation of frames for what you're trying to do.

How would you recommend I do this?

Also, why does it only display the far left frame, instead of the right - why does safari choose one over the other?

Its not a huge deal since it displays perfectly on windows PC's and every single on of my users is using that platform. But it is interesting nonetheless to see that safari does this.

mnkeybsness
Mar 4, 2004, 04:08 PM
i recommend NOT using frames. frames are evil, ugly, and horrible for the web browsing experience.

worst case scenario is to use tables, but my site (http://www.paularms.com) uses CSS positioning.

Josh
Mar 4, 2004, 04:17 PM
i recommend NOT using frames. frames are evil, ugly, and horrible for the web browsing experience.

worst case scenario is to use tables, but my site (http://www.paularms.com) uses CSS positioning.

Im kinda new at this so I really didnt know...seemed like a good way to go at first lol...oops.

I need to update the site fairly soon, so when I do that I will try to implement as much CSS as possible and remove the frames.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Rower_CPU
Mar 4, 2004, 04:43 PM
How would you recommend I do this?

Also, why does it only display the far left frame, instead of the right - why does safari choose one over the other?

Its not a huge deal since it displays perfectly on windows PC's and every single on of my users is using that platform. But it is interesting nonetheless to see that safari does this.

Like mnkeybsness said, CSS would be ideal.

All you'd need is a container div around the page content with margins set to "auto" for the left and right side.

Safari and OmniWeb (OW uses Safari's rendering engine) push the content to the right because 50% of the window is dedicated to the left hand from, according to the HTML you've got. Other browsers interpret this as 50% of available instead. So, you'd need a 1600 pixel wide display to see any black on the right side with Safari or OW. Make sense?

Josh
Mar 4, 2004, 10:41 PM
ohh Ok I see.

Thanks again for the help!