Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scatron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
Sandy, Utah
After problems with Sony Hi8 camcorders, I got a Sony DCR-SR82 60GB HD Handycam in May 2007. By October this year the LCD touch screen was unusable - the display would roll while in use. Then I dropped it and cracked the screen. I could get the screen replaced, but handling the video files on my Mac was a pain - had to convert them to mpeg before we can view them, but doing so erased the date information telling when the file was originally recorded.

We started using our Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd digital camera for video. This works great - the .avi files don't need to be converted and I could burn them to a playable DVD with Toast - but with xD cards only going to 2 GB, I was playing with cards too often.

So I recently got a Canon FS100 flash memory camcorder. This is probably worse then the Sony HD camcorder - the file names don't sort in chronological order and I still have to convert from the MOD format.

All I want is a device that takes video clips in a file format native to my Mac and at least 2 hours at a time.

My solution - another Fuji digital camera (so I know the file format will work without conversion) that can take cards other then an xD. The best match I found was a FinePix S9000 Z. The sensor is about the same size and it takes compact flash cards.

Anyone see a problem with this plan? Anything I overlooked? I not married to the Fuji cameras, I just know that the file format should work and the sensor is close to what our current camera has.

Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.