PDA

View Full Version : Macskinz - anyone know a date?

dabern
Mar 4, 2004, 12:24 PM
Does anyne know when Macskinz will be back online and selling? They went temporarily offline around Christmas to redo site & add products but still not back. Sure would like one of those for my PB!

Phatpat
Mar 4, 2004, 01:56 PM
I've been waiting patiently myself; I signed up for the mailing list, but never heard from them. It seems like the site could be down for awhile...

aricher
Mar 4, 2004, 02:50 PM
These are the replies I got to my posting at MacNN about the same thing:

No, nobody is buying us out. We completeley restructured our production process to accomodate new and better designs and create a better product. It is now also chemically resistant. The product in this thread is interesting but looks pretty substandard in the corner areas. It is also very easy for anyone to purchase inkjet receptive vinyl, print it and wrap it around your iPod. I'm not sure if the image would be waterproof because almost all but the more expensive large format inkjet printers are aqueous (waterbased). I would also be hesitant to put anything on the bottom of a PowerBook due to heat build-up.

thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by msSwitch:
I think the "skinz" look cool, but only a few have a cut out for the glowing apple logo. Why would anyone want to cover it up? It's only one of the greatest branding/marketing tools ever. PC notebook manufacturers have all pretty much followed suit.

-msSwitch

I started a pretty exhaustive thread on the subject some time back and am amazed at people's need to show the Apple logo. I support Apple for their great interface and hardware not for their logo. To me, it is a symbol of prestige or non-conformity in the computer world. Apple users want PC users to know that they are better or different. I put it along side with people putting Oakley bumper stickers on their car to let people know what shoes they wear. I can say a few things about our product: Apple probably doesn't like their corporate identity covered up by MacSkinz, and there is no similar product for the PC so even if the Apple logo isn't showing, it still stands out in a crowd.

Don't get me wrong, Apple has done some great marketing and has a very strong corporate identity. I also use nothing but Macs and have since almost their beginning.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

Posted on : 03-04-2004 07:04 PM **

quote:
Originally posted by msSwitch:
I think the "skinz" look cool, but only a few have a cut out for the glowing apple logo. Why would anyone want to cover it up? It's only one of the greatest branding/marketing tools ever. PC notebook manufacturers have all pretty much followed suit.

-msSwitch

Oh, I forgot to mention that a new Dell laptop now offers a few graphic images on the case top. I think they have followed our suit. Another thing, when we go live again, we will be offering all of the new designs with a hole knocked out to show the Apple logo if wanted.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

Doraemon
Mar 4, 2004, 03:51 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62289