Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Sometimes when I edit or crop a photo I am losing the EXIF data.
Example being, I cropped a photo in Preview and then saved it. Now its file looks like a normal jpeg with no EXIF data. Is there a way around loosing the EXIF data? I didnt have to use Preview to crop the photo but I want to say that the same thing happens if I crop in Photoshop (not 100% sure on that tho..)

Thanks in advance!

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I couldn't reproduce your problem. I opened, manipulated and saved a couple of files within preview and they both retained the EXIF information. One file was captured by a Canon P&S while the other came from a Nikon D2X. My preview version is 4.1 (469.4).

In Photoshop, you use the save for web option to remove EXIF info from the file.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I couldn't reproduce your problem. I opened, manipulated and saved a couple of files within preview and they both retained the EXIF information. One file was captured by a Canon P&S while the other came from a Nikon D2X. My preview version is 4.1 (469.4).

In Photoshop, you use the save for web option to remove EXIF info from the file.

hhmm.. I know its happened a few times. If you see my Deviant Art page you will see some of the photos lost the data. I thought I had it narrowed down to cropping.. Im not sure now..
Thanks tho!

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
hhmm.. I know its happened a few times. If you see my Deviant Art page you will see some of the photos lost the data. I thought I had it narrowed down to cropping.. Im not sure now..
Thanks tho!

Nope, cropping (in Preview) was one of the manipulations I made to the files. I am certain about the Photoshop behavior - that's how I stripped EXIF info before Lightroom and its export dialog became my main source for cleansed proof images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.