Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macboydus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Hello peeps - I have tonight resurrected my orange clamshell iBook after its not being used for - oooh 2 years?! I have another mac, a flatpanel iMac, which i use to get on the internet. I connect to my router via the ethernet port, and have no problems at all. The iMac runs os 10.3.9 and I connect to the ISP madasafish here in the UK.

Now when im in front of the telly, it would be nice to use the iBook, however ive tried tonight and failed :( Basically I unhooked the ethernet cable from the iMac, into the iBook - but nothing. The iBook is running OS 9.1. I went to the TCP/IP panel on the iBook and changed it to connect via ethernet...from there I assumed everything else should be automatic. For the configure section, there are four options - manually, using BootP server, using DHCP server, or using RARP server. I have only tried with the using BootP server, as for the others it asks for settings which i do not have, and are not provided under the iMac TCP/IP settings.

Is there a way to connect my lovely old tangerine mac to the internet???? the royal we hopes so :p

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Hello peeps - I have tonight resurrected my orange clamshell iBook after its not being used for - oooh 2 years?! I have another mac, a flatpanel iMac, which i use to get on the internet. I connect to my router via the ethernet port, and have no problems at all. The iMac runs os 10.3.9 and I connect to the ISP madasafish here in the UK.

Now when im in front of the telly, it would be nice to use the iBook, however ive tried tonight and failed :( Basically I unhooked the ethernet cable from the iMac, into the iBook - but nothing. The iBook is running OS 9.1. I went to the TCP/IP panel on the iBook and changed it to connect via ethernet...from there I assumed everything else should be automatic. For the configure section, there are four options - manually, using BootP server, using DHCP server, or using RARP server. I have only tried with the using BootP server, as for the others it asks for settings which i do not have, and are not provided under the iMac TCP/IP settings.

Is there a way to connect my lovely old tangerine mac to the internet???? the royal we hopes so :p

If you're plugging in from a router, chances are DHCP (automatic if available) will solve all your problems. That'll allow the router to handle the IP assignments and whatnot. Hell, even if you're plugged straight to the modem, DHCP Automatic should do the trick.

macboydus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
wow - that worked a treat! Thankyou kindly, and hooray to the 10 year old iBook, still kicking it, big time ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.