Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
I'm using the Ableton Live Suite and I'm looking for a good softsynth that produces some realistic orchestra sounds.
Violins, cello's, contrabasses, you name it.

Don't care about the price, but would be good if I can demo it before I have to buy it.

james-thescalie

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2008
probably not the most helpful reply but i like the ones that the NN-19 and NN-xt in reason has ill try upload some of the sounds but i wont be able to till friday, sorry

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
probably not the most helpful reply but i like the ones that the NN-19 and NN-xt in reason has ill try upload some of the sounds but i wont be able to till friday, sorry

Are those built-in presets in Reason or third party VST's?
If they are built-in, I guess there's no way to get them in another DAW, right?

ukmacpro

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2008
London
One of my favorite virtual orchestras is Garritan Personal Orchestra demos at http://www.garritan.com/mp3/

Although I use the MOTU Symphonic Instrument demos at http://www.motu.com/products/software/msi

Both work as plug-ins for most DAWs (I use Logic Studio) and also as stand-alone programs. Both used sampled sounds to build their instrument, so they sound much more realistic than a synth. The real skill in getting a realistic sound is how you sequence your MIDI. It's very hard to recreate subtle nuances of a musician playing live, you can create a pretty good simulation though.

james-thescalie

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2008
yeah they are the ones that come with reason. With it though you get re-Wire and you can have ableton live running with reasons audio output going through an audio track in ableton.

james-thescalie

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2008
just had a wave of genious...download the reason 4 demo. dont know if the demo alows re-Wire but at least you can hear the sounds im talking about. Have you had any more luck?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.