Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youngbe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Have an old G3 iBook lying around, would like to do something with it any ideas ?:apple:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
1. Use it as a print server.

2. Use it as a file server.

3. Use it as an iTunes Shared Library.

NOTE - make sure you connect it to your network (router) using ethernet. 802.11b is too slow for anything but a print server.

ft

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
If you are handy. The G3 iBooks makes a very nice digital photo frame. Larger higher resolution screen then any of the others on the market. Very nice with wireless card and you set up the screen saver to start up automatically on start/log on. Set up a VNC screen sharing so you can control it from anywhere in the house. You can also have the iBook turn on and off during times that you wouldn't have a use for it like while you're sleeping.

This is what I did with my 600 ibook G3

You will have to take everything apart. I found a photo frame, painted the back of the glass black where the LCD didn't cover it up and glued it. Mounted the logic board to the back of that. I accidentally killed the logic board before 100% completion though :(

Shawn D

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2008
What are the specs? You should put it on eBay for 50.00 Buy it now and send me a link :p

Tinknock71

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
Westland Michigan
If you are handy. The G3 iBooks makes a very nice digital photo frame. Larger higher resolution screen then any of the others on the market. Very nice with wireless card and you set up the screen saver to start up automatically on start/log on. Set up a VNC screen sharing so you can control it from anywhere in the house. You can also have the iBook turn on and off during times that you wouldn't have a use for it like while you're sleeping.

This is what I did with my 600 ibook G3

You will have to take everything apart. I found a photo frame, painted the back of the glass black where the LCD didn't cover it up and glued it. Mounted the logic board to the back of that. I accidentally killed the logic board before 100% completion though :(

Like I said before. You need to apply for a Job at Apple, you have a gift!

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
Have an old G3 iBook lying around, would like to do something with it any ideas ?:apple:

We still use one in our home as a kitchen web computer. It probably gets the most use out of any computer in the house!

It's extremely convenient to just have it sitting next to the kitchen table ready to browse the web. Maybe this could work for you too!

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
no offense, but turning it into a digital picture frame?
maybe its just me, but i when i rest my eyes (meaning, turning them away from the screen..) i rather look at something else than another screen

i was gonna say what someone else did "use it as a web computer".
if i had a spare one id probably give it away rather then turning it into a picture frame. or whatever.

youngbe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Thanks Guys !!!

I have decided to use it as a "Print Server" could i put OS X Server on it and use it to do other task as well?

Thanks,

youngbe:apple:

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
1. Use it as a print server.

2. Use it as a file server.

3. Use it as an iTunes Shared Library.

NOTE - make sure you connect it to your network (router) using ethernet. 802.11b is too slow for anything but a print server.

ft

B is too slow? omg where do you live -.- B is totally fine, even for a Web server!(maybe not a Game server) espacialy because do you have a upload speed greater than 300Kbps?) I would Turn it into A picture frame! or as a kitchen internet terminals for looking up receipts"! :D

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
Thanks Guys !!!

I have decided to use it as a "Print Server" could i put OS X Server on it and use it to do other task as well?

Thanks,

youngbe:apple:

Well yes you could... umm install OSX remotely to other macs... and yea run a Xgrid ... which doesent really work that great on a G3... :cool:

I still have a G4 running as a extreme Website Testing mashine for OS 9 :rolleyes:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
B is too slow? omg where do you live -.- B is totally fine, even for a Web server!(maybe not a Game server) espacialy because do you have a upload speed greater than 300Kbps?) I would Turn it into A picture frame! or as a kitchen internet terminals for looking up receipts"! :D
I think you misunderstood what I said. I said that 11b was not fast enough for anything but a print server. Maybe you're more patient than I am, but to me, 11b isn't fast enough for a file server (try moving several GBs of data over 11b) or as an iTunes server (SD videos may be OK, but once you get into HD video, even iTS 5Mbps files, it's way too slow).

Either way, most folks have all of their computer gear in the same room, so a $2 ethernet cable will perform much better than 11b (or 11g for that matter).

ft

coupdetat

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Umm... use it to play Fallout and Fallout 2, 'nuff said.

Actually I still use my iMac G3 600mhz for everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.