PDA

View Full Version : weird issue with safari

mrjamin
Mar 4, 2004, 06:14 PM
Ok, here's the dealio:

The site's one big table, all heights and widths are defined in the stylesheet, apart from the width of the central column which is set with a spacer GIF. If you look at the "hosting" and "introduction" pages, there's a weird gap that seems to be coming from nowhere. I have no idea why. The "contact" page is fine!

I don't get the issue in any other browser (IE5.5 (win), IE6 (win), gecko based browsers, IE (mac), or opera).

Thanks in advance chaps, you haven't failed me yet!

MrJ

Makosuke
Mar 4, 2004, 08:14 PM
Well, to start with, the site doesn't actually quite validate as XHTML1.0; you have a bunch of duplicate IDs (did you mean to be using classes?), a few unescaped & symbols, and a missing and duplicate alt tag (looks like you put the "server" alt on the "control panel" image on the Hosting page).

But none of those things are major.

What it looks like Safari is doing is expanding the space reserved for the center box of the page to accomodate the floating images contained within it, but is correctly sizing the scrollable area inside, leaving that gap at the bottom.

If you try deleting the final image (the server one, that pushes it over the edge, so to speak) it draws fine, and if you add more floating images below, the problem gets progressively worse. Likewise, if you turn the float off on that final image, it draws properly.

I'm not positive that this is wrong, since I'm not familiar with what the technically accepted behavior when determining the sizes of areas reserved for objects that are offscreen, but this seems to be a rendering bug in Safari.

Unless somebody here can chime in with information confirming that this is one accepted behavior, you should probably file a bug report with Apple, and maybe Hyatt will be able to patch that issue up.

Incidentally, in testing this I noticed that if you tell Camino to save the full source tree, it does some cleanup on the HTML; it deleted extra alt tags and removed all the short-form XHTML closing slashes. Weird.

mnkeybsness
Mar 4, 2004, 08:32 PM
we need to learn you some advanced CSS positioning!

it would get rid of all of those nasty tables which always have problems with different browsers.

Makosuke
Mar 4, 2004, 08:40 PM
we need to learn you some advanced CSS positioning!

it would get rid of all of those nasty tables which always have problems with different browsers.I was resisting making that comment, since tables or no, there's something odd going on there and it superficially seems to be Safari's fault.

That said, I don't have the violent reaction to tables that a lot of people seem to (face it, they're useful sometimes, and as much as I hate to say it, just better at doing some layout that divs were never really intended to cover), but this site does seem to be asking for trouble with the way its designed, and is a prime candidate for some fancier positioning mojo.