Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
When I connect my iMac directly to my cable modem (no router) I get fast speed. But when I connect my laptop through my Linksys WRT54G v5 router the speed drops to about 20-40 kbps.

What is causing this dramatic drop in speed?

WAP Personal security
MAC filtering enabled: Yes
Channel 6
DHCP Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes

What kind of configuration could help me to get fast speed? I am newbie so don't know to make deep configuratons! :(

Thank you!

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Do you have the latest firmware installed?

Depending on the version of you WRT54G you might be able to install the DD-WRT firmware.

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
I updated my firmware yesterday...it didn't work! The router version is 5.0, I think it is not possible to install DD-WRT firmware.

Any kind of settings on router could improve the speed?

Thank you.

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
I updated my firmware yesterday...it didn't work! The router version is 5.0, I think it is not possible to install DD-WRT firmware.

Any kind of settings on router could improve the speed?

Thank you.

It's possible. A little trickier because you have to do the VXWorks killer pieces. I've done it on several versions of WRT54G, WRT54GS and WAP54G units. It's well worth the work, but just follow the online guides and be careful since it is possible to brick the unit if you mess up a step.

Here's a link to the supported hardware page.

XianPalin

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Well either way the problem shouldn't really be happening even with the regular router firmware.

Make sure you have the latest linksys firmware first of all.

Are you doing a lot of transfer on your laptop? If you're torrenting or the laptop is trying to upload a lot that could potentially be causing a choke on the network. Maybe run something on the laptop to make sure it's not bringing the network to its knees.

Other than that I'm not really sure what could be causing it. It shouldn't bring everything down to that speed. If you're on the latest firmware, try doing a full reset on it and starting over and seeing if that does anything.

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
It's possible. A little trickier because you have to do the VXWorks killer pieces. I've done it on several versions of WRT54G, WRT54GS and WAP54G units. It's well worth the work, but just follow the online guides and be careful since it is possible to brick the unit if you mess up a step.

Here's a link to the supported hardware page.

I am so newbie for these things! I am not confident to do that!

BTW, when I connect my iMac directly to my cable modem (no router) I get about 150kbps and the speed drops to about 20-40 kbps using a router. Do you really think this firmware would solve my problem? I guess it could be settings of my router/iMac, no?

Thank you for your attention.

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Well either way the problem shouldn't really be happening even with the regular router firmware.

Make sure you have the latest linksys firmware first of all.

Are you doing a lot of transfer on your laptop? If you're torrenting or the laptop is trying to upload a lot that could potentially be causing a choke on the network. Maybe run something on the laptop to make sure it's not bringing the network to its knees.

Other than that I'm not really sure what could be causing it. It shouldn't bring everything down to that speed. If you're on the latest firmware, try doing a full reset on it and starting over and seeing if that does anything.

I have the latest linksys firmware installed, just checked it yesterday, when I reseted the router and did the config again.

No, I do few transfer on my iMac, just sometimes. And the low speed occurs with torrents and regular downloads (apps, per example).

Low speed...so boring! :eek:

bearbear

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
This is funny: I have the exact same router (and same version #) and had weird problems with speed for the past 3 days. I finally got around to upgrading the firmware yesterday for the time since I've owned it and that seemed to fix all of the problems. Good luck.

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
Your router is throttling speeds, Go look at all your settings and see whats allowed and blocked. You can put your IP in the DMZ zone box and see if it speeds up. This will narrow it down to the router or the card.

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
bearbear,

I updated the firmware before yesterday, it didn't work! :(

wizzracer,

Do you have this same router? If yes, could you put the print screen where I can try to change my settigs? I am so 'dumb' for these things...

Thank you so much.

fwhh

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2004
Berlin, Germany
First, check if your router is in 802.11b mode, if so, set it to 802.11g or combined/hybrid mode.
Second, try to use another WLAN channel.
Third (if 1+2 failed), try if using a wired connection to your router provides the full speed.
Forth, (if you have full speed in 3.) try to use WPA2.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
192.168.1.11 (or whatever you set your router IP to)
Set wireless to 802.11g

thats the only explanation, unless your sitting to far away from it (more than 15 metres inside a house)

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
bearbear,

I updated the firmware before yesterday, it didn't work! :(

wizzracer,

Do you have this same router? If yes, could you put the print screen where I can try to change my settigs? I am so 'dumb' for these things...

Thank you so much.

I have used these routers before. Type in the this number in the address bar in your browser. 192.168.1.1, Your router password is admin by default.

On the Application and Gaming tab you will see DMZ Zone. Select enable and put your IP in the box. Now try your speed test again. If it's better then its your router. if not your card is.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I have merged your two threads on the same topic. Please do not cross post identical threads in different forums, thanks.

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
I have used these routers before. Type in the this number in the address bar in your browser. 192.168.1.1, Your router password is admin by default.

On the Application and Gaming tab you will see DMZ Zone. Select enable and put your IP in the box. Now try your speed test again. If it's better then its your router. if not your card is.

When you say to put my IP in the box (DMZ Zone), how I know what is my IP? It is 192.168.1.1?

I tried all channels and noticed channel 6 was the best (mixed mode). I am using WPA. Change to WPA2 could improve anything?

Thank you!

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
When you say to put my IP in the box (DMZ Zone), how I know what is my IP? It is 192.168.1.1?

I tried all channels and noticed channel 6 was the best (mixed mode). I am using WPA. Change to WPA2 could improve anything?

Thank you!

You can open a command prompt window and type ipconfig to get your IP number.

192.168.1.1 jst gets you into the router.

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Is there a command prompt on Mac? Where?

And about WPAxWPA2, could it change the speed?

Thank you.

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
Open a terminal window so that you can type commands that are not on a menu. If you already have a terminal window open, skip to Step 5.

Otherwise, click on the desktop background (not on any application).
The top menu bar should now say "Finder"; click on Go -> applications
On the applications menu, click on Utilities to open the set of commands that are on the Utilties submenu.

Under the Utilities folder, click on Terminal.
In the terminal window, type "ifconfig" then hit return.
In the output, there will be lines that include inet x.x.x.x netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast a.b.c.d
The IP address of the interface is the four numbers denoted by x.x.x.x in the lines described above.
There may be a line that says inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 This is the loopback interface, and always uses the IP address 127.0.0.1

WPA or WPA2 will not slow it down.

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
In the terminal window I typed "ifconfig"...but it didnt work:

"Last login: Sun Jan 11 08:21:12 on ttys000
imac-de-gustavo-klein:~ GustavoKlein$ ipconfig
usage: ipconfig <command> <args>
where <command> is one of waitall, getifaddr, ifcount, getoption, getpacket, set, setverbose"

Why?

imacjuippi

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Gustavo, start from the beginning.

1. Plug your Mac to ADSL router and test the speed to get baseline.

2. Plug your Mac to Linksys router and test speed.

3. Unplug and connect using WLAN and test speed.

While doing 1 and 2 make sure WLAN is turned OFF in your Mac.

What are the results in each case?

Edit: and get rid off MAC filtering, it will only cause problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.