PDA

View Full Version : BBC News "UFO claim over wind farm damage"

Simplesimon101
Jan 8, 2009, 01:18 PM
I should really be working so i don't fail my degree but this news article on my second favourite site of procrastination caught my eye...

UFO claim over wind farm damage (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/7817378.stm)

I though if the other blade just fell off and hit the other one on the way down it'd be a fairly simple explanation?!

any thoughts.

Jaffa Cake
Jan 8, 2009, 01:20 PM
I've always told you lot that they're a bit weird in Lincolnshire.

BoyBach
Jan 8, 2009, 01:28 PM
I heard this story on the radio today. The radio journalist chap asked the investigator chap what would be big enough to cause the damage, to which his reply was something like: "A cow, but obviously cows don't fly!"

Made my day! :D

MacBoobsPro
Jan 8, 2009, 01:47 PM
On Christmas night my brother called me on the phone and told me to look outside as there was a weird orange light in the sky. I went out and thought its probably a plane or helicopter but when I saw it I was like "What the hell is that?" :eek: This bright orange light was moving really slowly across the sky, I kept watching it and couldnt figure it out. It definitely wasnt a plane because it slowed down then speeded up. I called my Dad out to see what he thought and even he was stuck for ideas.

Then just the other day I found out that there had been a lot of UFO sightings and then I saw the wind turbine story on the news. I was getting a bit excited. I did some digging and most of the ufo sightings in Sheffield are apparently Chinese Sky Lanterns. :rolleyes:

This turbine story though is quite intriguing because for that amount of damage to happen something BIG must of hit it and if it was a chopper or plane someone would know about it. For there to be no explanation or evidence of a crash on the ground is a bit spooky.

Flying cows are remarkably tough though.

bartelby
Jan 8, 2009, 01:50 PM
This turbine story though is quite intriguing because for that amount of damage to happen something BIG must of hit it and if it was a chopper or plane someone would know about it. For there to be no explanation or evidence of a crash on the ground is a bit spooky

Not really. The blade that fell off hit the blade that's all buckled. The blade could have fallen off due to all the bolts snapping because of defects in the metal...

Jaffa Cake
Jan 8, 2009, 02:10 PM
On one hand, a number of local residents had been reporting strange lights and objects in the sky prior to the damage to the turbine. However...

Not really. The blade that fell off hit the blade that's all buckled. The blade could have fallen off due to all the bolts snapping because of defects in the metal...It's certainly a perfectly plausible explanation. In fact, if I were a more cynical Jaffa I might suggest that one reason why the turbine company spokesman is so keen to not rule out an otherworldly explanation is because it deflects attention away from a dangerous and potentially life-threatening flaw.

But I'm not, so I won't...

bartelby
Jan 8, 2009, 02:12 PM
On one hand, a number of local residents had been reporting strange lights and objects in the sky prior to the damage to the turbine. However...

And it just so happens that someone near by was having a little fireworks display in honour of someone's birthday...

Jaffa Cake
Jan 8, 2009, 02:13 PM
And it just so happens that someone near by was having a little fireworks display in honour of someone's birthday...I don't buy that explanation you're suggesting the locals have discovered fire? ;)

bartelby
Jan 8, 2009, 02:18 PM
I don't buy that explanation – you're suggesting the locals have discovered fire? ;)

They found a foreigner (southerner) who has some in his pocket.

But here is the article
UFO HITS WIND TURBINE," the Sun proudly splashed today. "Dorothy Willows – who lives half a mile from the scene of the hit-and-run – was in her car when 'strange lights' loomed in the evening sky," continued the Sun. "She was among dozens who spotted the mysterious flashing orangey-yellow spheres over Lincolnshire..."

The Guardian News & Media director of digital content, Emily Bell, would like to make it clear that her family had no part in damaging any of those 65ft multimillion-pound turbine blades - but she can help explain those "massive balls of light with tentacles going right down to the ground", as one onlooker described them to the Sun.

Those mysterious lights were actually the fireworks Emily's brother Tim had bought at the local garden centre for the 80th birthday party of dad Peter Bell. "It was a medium-sized fireworks display with absolutely no ballistics, and the fireworks were mostly dropping over my parents' house. But we were laughing that we could have broken the wind turbine," jested Emily

Jaffa Cake
Jan 8, 2009, 02:19 PM
That's that sorted then. Me and you ought to get a camper van and take one of your dogs out solving mysteries. :cool:

.Andy
Jan 8, 2009, 02:19 PM
Aliens with sufficient technology for intergalactic stealth travel crash into windmill. This is what happens when you let the wife park the saucer.......

bartelby
Jan 8, 2009, 02:20 PM
That's that sorted then. Me and you ought to get a camper van and take one of your dogs out solving mysteries. :cool:

Caleb is the dog for this. Loki will just eat the evidence and fall asleep...

calculus
Jan 8, 2009, 02:21 PM

So you're saying it was the caretaker then...

MacBoobsPro
Jan 8, 2009, 02:32 PM
Not really. The blade that fell off hit the blade that's all buckled. The blade could have fallen off due to all the bolts snapping because of defects in the metal...

Flippin Nora :eek: I didnt even think of that. :p

Well thats it solved then. I don't believe in flying cows anyway. :D

bartelby
Jan 8, 2009, 02:34 PM
I don't believe in flying cows anyway. :D

Oh, flying cows exist. But they're not stupid enough to be caught letting off fireworks and flying into massive wind turbines...

leishan
Jan 8, 2009, 02:58 PM
It was really the black helicopters...

Macmadant
Jan 11, 2009, 06:36 PM

I was under the impression that the blade that had broken off was missing. Your Theory doesn't explain the 65 FT blade that is missing :p

Jaffa Cake
Jan 12, 2009, 03:04 AM
I believe the missing blade was found shortly after, close to the turbine itself. If I remember righty it's been sent away for analysis to see if there's any bits of flying cow on it.

Les Kern
Jan 12, 2009, 08:27 AM
Occam's Razor.

whooleytoo
Jan 12, 2009, 09:37 AM
Occam's Razor.

How big must Occam be if he breaks blades off a wind turbine to shave with?!? :eek:

Tosser
Jan 12, 2009, 09:44 AM
I was under the impression that the blade that had broken off was missing. Your Theory doesn't explain the 65 FT blade that is missing :p

As Jaffa says, it was found shortly after, and the interviewed spokedsperson says it wasn't missing, but was found on the ground "although 'missing' makes is sound more dramatic" (or something like that).

How big must Occam be if he breaks blades off a wind turbine to shave with?!? :eek:

Haha, that had me laughing out loud :D

carlgo
Jan 12, 2009, 10:05 AM
They will find Chinese lantern debris imbedded in it and that will void the warranty.

BoyBach
Feb 13, 2009, 01:55 PM
Alien mystery in outer limits of Lincolnshire finally solved (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/feb/11/wind-turbine-mystery)

Sadly, flying cows weren't responsible.

bartelby
Feb 13, 2009, 01:56 PM
What did I say?

Jaffa Cake
Feb 13, 2009, 03:04 PM
Yep, me and bartelby had this case solved back at the start of January. We're like Mulder and Scully, except that I've got better legs than Gillian Anderson.

bartelby
Feb 13, 2009, 03:09 PM
Yep, me and bartelby had this case solved back at the start of January. We're like Mulder and Scully, except that I've got better legs than Gillian Anderson.

Hey, I thought we were the new Scooby gang!

I've bought you a load of neckerchiefs too!
:(

Les Kern
Feb 14, 2009, 11:01 AM
Relax folks, and look up "Occam's Razor".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

To whit: There are no aliens. Period.
Flying cows are more believable, but "something broke" SHOULD have been the first thought.

Jaffa Cake
Feb 14, 2009, 11:05 AM
Of course, it's only a mater of time before some conspiracy type declares this to be a massive cover up and the flying cow that caused it is now being analysed by the MoD somewhere in Suffolk...