PDA

View Full Version : Man wants donated kidney back from wife in divorce settlement

MacNut
Jan 8, 2009, 02:40 PM
Lawyers are trying to settle a bizarre divorce case in New York state: a doctor wants the kidney he donated to his wife back as part of their settlement.

The doctor held a news conference at his lawyer's Long Island office Wednesday to publicly talk about his demand. He says he gave his wife his kidney in 2001, then she filed for divorce in 2005 after 15 years of marriage.

The doctor claims his wife began having an affair sometime after the transplant.

"We were in a million-dollar home, I was a full-time surgeon, full-time father and a dedicated husband. And I saved her life, and there's nothing bad about what I did, I'd do it again. But the pain is unbearable," the doctor said.

The man said he will settle for $1.5 million in compensation.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28547971/

Drumjim85
Jan 8, 2009, 02:45 PM
love it!

themoonisdown09
Jan 8, 2009, 02:52 PM
That's so awesome.

.Andy
Jan 8, 2009, 02:54 PM
There's no way he's getting it back :D!

leishan
Jan 8, 2009, 02:57 PM
He should steal it back!:D

Drumjim85
Jan 8, 2009, 02:58 PM

que in candy mountain!

themoonisdown09
Jan 8, 2009, 02:58 PM
There's no way he's getting it back :D!

But he's a doctor. He could put her to sleep and take it out himself.

MacNut
Jan 8, 2009, 03:01 PM
But he's a doctor. He could put her to sleep and take it out himself.What are you going with all that ice? You having a party.:D

rdowns
Jan 8, 2009, 03:01 PM
Barbara said his client isn't really looking for Dawnell Batista to give back her kidney. "Does he really want the kidney back? Of course not," he said.

Batista said his aim instead was to draw attention to her not allowing him agreed-upon visitation with the couple's three children, ages 14, 11 and 8.

2 outstanding parents. :rolleyes:

bc008
Jan 8, 2009, 03:03 PM
more power to him! :)

he obviously loved her enough to give her his kidney, and she screwed up ;)

Rt&Dzine
Jan 8, 2009, 03:04 PM

take back his liver - wurst thing he could do

ucfgrad93
Jan 8, 2009, 03:31 PM
While funny to read about, I don't see this guy getting any financial compensation for this.

Blue Velvet
Jan 8, 2009, 03:34 PM

He wouldn't have the gall to demand the bladder, but I'm sure his solicitors are going through every appendix in case law.

.Andy
Jan 8, 2009, 03:45 PM
I only just got this. Well done :D!

apsterling
Jan 8, 2009, 04:01 PM
He wouldn't have the gall to demand the bladder, but I'm sure his solicitors are going through every appendix in case law.

I think the puns are as bad as his wife. :p

Airforcekid
Jan 8, 2009, 07:50 PM
:apple:It is his property!:apple:

Artofilm
Jan 8, 2009, 08:45 PM
que in candy mountain!

Yeah Candy Mountain!
Chaaaarrrrliiiieeee, CHAAAAARRRRLIEEEE!

puckhead193
Jan 8, 2009, 08:51 PM
only in Garden City does this happen.
Only on Long Island do we have this an set our ex-wifes house on fire "accidently" and have a few mob cases o and that guy with the lion and all the other weird animals Yay for LI :p

edit - forgot toe mention the slave case :rolleyes:

NT1440
Jan 8, 2009, 08:56 PM

I swear im going to make a fortune by coming up with the pocket joke drumset.

Everytime something funny is uttered in the world, or seen on a screen, just take it out of your pocket, use the included 1/100th scale drumsticks, and bang out the patented BA DUM TSH!

Ill make a killing! (patent pending).

But back on topic, from all indications hes been a good father, I hope if this is the case he gets visitation rights. I HATE when people use their kids as a way to get back at their spouses, thats just sick and bad parenting all together.:mad:

Drumjim85
Jan 8, 2009, 11:49 PM
I swear im going to make a fortune by coming up with the pocket joke drumset.

Everytime something funny is uttered in the world, or seen on a screen, just take it out of your pocket, use the included 1/100th scale drumsticks, and bang out the patented BA DUM TSH!

Ill make a killing! (patent pending).

or you could just make an iphone app of it ;)

Abstract
Jan 9, 2009, 12:29 AM
What are you going with all that ice? You having a party.:D

It's for the alcohol. B**** ain't getting no ice.

*whips out a rusty spoon*

Rodimus Prime
Jan 9, 2009, 12:56 AM
he is not going to get a thing for it.

It is against the law to give an organ for anything other than a GIFT.

No organ can be given for any amount of money or other type of compensation. It must be freely as a gift.

The case will be thrown out under that law. Since the organ was given as a gift. No gift can legally be taken back and the part on the organ.

The wife is a bitch for cheating on him but she gets to keep the organ.

MacNut
Jan 9, 2009, 12:58 AM
The wife is a bitch for cheating on him but she gets to keep the organ.And the piano too.

pilotError
Feb 26, 2009, 01:16 PM
Just an update...

A court has rejected a Long Island Surgeon's claim that he should get $1.5 million in his divorce settlement because he donated a kidney to his wife.

I copied this from a small article in the AM NY paper today. It will probably be on their site tomorrow.

www.amny.com

jzuena
Feb 26, 2009, 03:32 PM
or you could just make an iphone app of it ;)

I'm shocked there isn't one already. Basic mode just a single button that does the whole rimshot sequence; advanced mode lets you tap it out on a virtual drumkit! (maybe I should dust off that iPhone developer license I have and actually start using it).

jzuena
Feb 26, 2009, 03:45 PM
he is not going to get a thing for it.

It is against the law to give an organ for anything other than a GIFT.

No organ can be given for any amount of money or other type of compensation. It must be freely as a gift.

The case will be thrown out under that law. Since the organ was given as a gift. No gift can legally be taken back and the part on the organ.

The wife is a bitch for cheating on him but she gets to keep the organ.

The husband's lawyer is saying the real reason is to enforce the visitation he was granted and isn't getting. As soon as they get to the court for the wife to ask for this case to be thrown out, his lawyer files a motion that calls the wife in contempt for not honoring the agreed-to visitation. Then he can try to get custody and force her to get visitation rights.

The husband may also be angling to change the original divorce terms. He can claim they didn't add in all of the shared assets (the kidney) before she took 1/2. It sounds crazy, but if it works he could end up with more than 1/2 since she has the kidney as part of her 1/2 and no way to give it back.

Never assume the courts will act in a logical matter, especially in a civil case. Double-especially in a case that has garnered attention as this one has.

barkmonster
Feb 26, 2009, 04:02 PM
Why is it in these situations, the woman ALWAYS gets 50% of everything and custody of the kids even if it was their infidelity that caused the break up and they were basically "kept" for their whole relationship because they "chose" to give up work to have a family?

It's totally wrong.

There was this guy a friend knew years ago who's wife cheated on him, the usual story, she gets the house and kids etc... She then sold the house and bought a bigger one with the new boyfriend.

The guy worked for minimum wage as a production line worker and jacked it in because he was getting screwed for so much of it that he had NO standard of living and was better off on benefits.

All because of infidelity + Kids.

I hate people who see kids as little billy and mary meal ticket so they don't have to work for the rest of their life then even that isn't enough for them so they screw over some poor guy for half of everything.

I understand that morally and legally there's equal responsibility for looking after children but equality of the sexes needs to be ABSOLUTE and work 100% in both directions in ALL situations without exception.

CorvusCamenarum
Feb 26, 2009, 05:46 PM
Why is it in these situations, the woman ALWAYS gets 50% of everything and custody of the kids even if it was their infidelity that caused the break up and they were basically "kept" for their whole relationship because they "chose" to give up work to have a family?

It's totally wrong.

There was this guy a friend knew years ago who's wife cheated on him, the usual story, she gets the house and kids etc... She then sold the house and bought a bigger one with the new boyfriend.

The guy worked for minimum wage as a production line worker and jacked it in because he was getting screwed for so much of it that he had NO standard of living and was better off on benefits.

All because of infidelity + Kids.

I hate people who see kids as little billy and mary meal ticket so they don't have to work for the rest of their life then even that isn't enough for them so they screw over some poor guy for half of everything.

I understand that morally and legally there's equal responsibility for looking after children but equality of the sexes needs to be ABSOLUTE and work 100% in both directions in ALL situations without exception.

The short version is that we've spent the past 40 years or so rewriting the divorce laws to unfairly favor one side at the expense of the other. You can guess which side is which. We also have a system that hasn't yet caught up to the shift in society where more women are working outside the home and earning an income instead of staying home and raising the kids. The sad reality is that it's unlikely to change anytime soon; as with so many things in this country, there's more money to be made in propping up a broken system than there is in actually addressing the problems and fixing them.

Mr. Giver '94
Feb 26, 2009, 06:06 PM
Yeah Candy Mountain!
Chaaaarrrrliiiieeee, CHAAAAARRRRLIEEEE!

YOU ARE THE BANANA KING CHARLIE!!!!!!!!!!!

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These people sound like a bunch of loons. :D

iJohnHenry
Feb 26, 2009, 06:07 PM
This action is rendered null and void by the judgement of Pound Of Flesh vs. The United States Of America.

Mr. lax
Feb 26, 2009, 07:54 PM
It seems like a reasonable demand...