Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The possibility of Apple attending CES has been the subject of speculation ever since Apple announced they would no longer be attending future Macworld events. And sure enough, Cult of Mac has a source that claims to have "friends who work at Apple" who insist that Apple will exhibit at CES next year.

While an interesting possibility, this would go against Apple's explanation about why they were pulling out of Macworld in the first place. According to press release, Apple believes that trade shows are a minor part of how the company reaches customers. There had also been reports that Apple was unhappy with forced release time-table of a January show. Moving to CES -- also a January show -- would also not alleviate this issue.

Cult of Mac cites a single source and gives no indication as to their credibility.

Article Link: Apple to Attend CES?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
We can only hope. Apple just needs some iMac/Mac mini events to get things started this year otherwise.

this year's wouldnt be an options since its underway.

as for next years and in the future... doubtful but perhaps.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
A lot of vendors and consumers may be disappointed in this decision, if this news does indeed turn out to be true.

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
Interesting, but CES is mostly dominated by PC manufacturers yes?

Well, Apple seems to becoming more and more like them each passing day. Seriously, CES is an all aspect electronics show. PCs and accessories, phones, cameras, camcorders, televisions, DVD/Blu-Ray and home audio products. It seems PC dominated because Macworld and Apple had been putting on their own show in Frisco the past 24 years. A lot of companies had a presence at both shows with the Mac products and announcements coming at Macworld. You also don't see a whole lot of pro audio and music stuff, they have their own convention called NAMM.

The advantages I could see to coming to CES could be keep up its presence and have a place for the community to have access to Apple without the pressure to put on an earth shattering keynote with amazing new products..

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
this rumor is not true. let's move on.

i can list the reasons why its not true...but most people already probably know them by now...

SiriusExcelsior

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
Canis Major
I can see them attending and setting up a display but not delivering a keynote or announcing new products.

I think this is plausible. Apple doesn't want to have a trade show focussed on them (Macworld), but that doesn't mean they don't want to have a trade show at all. At CES the focus is on consumer electronics, not Macs, so the pressure on Apple to deliver something new is greatly reduced. They said trade shows were a minor part of their customer interaction, they didn't say it played no part~

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
Apple must be having trouble getting products ready to release if they are saying that they are forced to release products. This must explain why not much was released at MacWorld.

If MacWorld is not a good place for Apple to reach out to customers, then what is?

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
I can't see it happening. I just dont see it as Apple's scene to be crowded in among all the random electronics at CES.

Apple want full control over the events they hold and where and how they are seen, with first impression being very important to them.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I don't see this happening. Apple pulled out of MacWorld because of the release timetable, and because trade shows are a dying breed. I think Apple will have their own release events from now on. It would be complete and total hypocrisy for Apple to attend CES.

Don

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Apple must be having trouble getting products ready to release if they are saying that they are forced to release products. This must explain why not much was released at MacWorld.

If MacWorld is not a good place for Apple to reach out to customers, then what is?

Their own events, like what they did with the notebook release. Then they have no external time table telling them "these products must be done by this time," they can release them when they are ready to.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
the thought of apple going to CES grudges me.... i can understand no more keynotes/announcements but not displaying at macworld and going to CES instead is a slap to the mac community IMO.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga

Their own events, like what they did with the notebook release. Then they have no external time table telling them "these products must be done by this time," they can release them when they are ready to.

Exactly. MacWorld would pressure Apple to release something. People like the ones in this forums put expectations on Apple releasing something. It's about time Apple took care of Apple and released when THEY were ready to release.

Though I don't think it's a good idea to leave MW completely. Maybe the people at MW would re-evaluate whats important and not put added pressure on releases but maybe just focus on Keynote for what a Keynote is... A KEYNOTE SPEECH. Not a "Here's what we have for you to buy today!" but rather a "here's the state of the company and we'll have something new for you when we're God damn good and ready to release it!"

bick

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2008
Palo Alto, California
Brilliant Move

If true, would be a brilliant move in my opinion. But only if Steve Jobs does the keynote. Apple's next move is the enterprise, and the inroads that could be made by going to CES would be significant. Imagine Steve wowing the crowd at the 2010 CES keynote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.