Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PsychOff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
London
Regarding to those who play EVE Online on Macs:
I've noticed that the graphics on my machine are very beautiful and shiny, but almost too much so, my ships often seem they are missing textures and details, ghosting and glitches appear. I have it installed on my PC laptop as well (so I can access it to change skills if I am away from my Mac Pro), and it seems to have detail that doesn't appear on the Mac. Granted, my PC laptop can't handle gameplay as its not that powerful. Can anyone explain, please?

N.B. I do have the Premium Graphics option enabled on the Mac.

smacky!

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
drivers?

Regarding to those who play EVE Online on Macs:
I've noticed that the graphics on my machine are very beautiful and shiny, but almost too much so, my ships often seem they are missing textures and details, ghosting and glitches appear. I have it installed on my PC laptop as well (so I can access it to change skills if I am away from my Mac Pro), and it seems to have detail that doesn't appear on the Mac. Granted, my PC laptop can't handle gameplay as its not that powerful. Can anyone explain, please?

N.B. I do have the Premium Graphics option enabled on the Mac.

that 8800GT...driver issues, maybe? you havbe enough power...way than enough RAM...could be anti-aliasing issue or maybe...hmm. since i don't play Eve, can u tell me if you can adjust any graphic options within the game itself? i know you have Power! with a capital P, but even so - some parts of some games just don't run/translate well into OpenGL (or w/e you call it) - X3: Reunion ran pretty slow (but pretty) on my MBP/Bcamp...

PsychOff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
London
Yeah, I do have a lot of power, I know that isn't the issue (I have that much power because I require it for FCS2, editing uncompressed HD footage). No, it's something else.

I will look into the GPU driver as you've mentioned, although I doubt that could be the problem since the HD footage I playback is absolutely fine. EVE does have graphic settings and I have played around with them with no success but I shall try again, I know you don't play EVE but perhaps there is someone who may know what the right settings would be to achieve proper graphics on EVE with a Mac. However I do know that EVE was introduced to a Mac client only recently, was previously only for PC, so perhaps they still haven't perfected it.

Thanks for the advice^^

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Hmm....I'm wondering if they made the graphics crappier for the Mac version to improve the fps you get, since I've noticed that the Mac versions for games are usually laggier than the PC versions. They do the same things for PS3s and Xbox 360s, whereby they make the graphics crappier compared to the PC version, so that it runs better.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
The EVE Mac client is a Cider port, which means that it will not be nearly as well optimized or run as smoothly as a native Mac port. Sucks, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

PsychOff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
London
Ah, ok. So it is the client itself and I can do nothing about it. Understood. Could you possibly explain me these difference of ports your talking about, the technical aspects, I'd like learn is all, thank you?^^

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
The Premium Graphics option isn't available for the Mac version. The reason it looks worse is that it's using the Classic graphics. If you want the Premium Graphics, use Bootcamp.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
BootCamp is an utility that allows you to install Windows on a Mac so you can dual boot.

Brokenstv

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
The next expansion for EVE will include a native OSX client, and they are doing away with the pixel shader 1.0 content (aka classic graphics).

isoceles

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
NYC
So is the OSX version of eve not premium? I'm not sure which version I have. In the display menu it has an apply button next to the premium column but it doesn't do anything. When I warp though gates my ship fades at the same time not front to back. i was told premium fades your ship from front to back.

I have been having issues with the client freezing up. Once it does that I have to estate to OS because it will keep freezing after about 5 min of game play. Does anyone else have these issues? I play on my Macbook Pro unibody and play on both video cards. I think the integrated video card has less problems than the 9600m gt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.