PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft wants to know who your friends are

MacBytes
Mar 4, 2004, 11:04 PM
Link: Microsoft wants to know who your friends are (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040305000414)

Posted on MacBytes.com

Kagetenshi
Mar 5, 2004, 12:44 AM
My, but that's a creepy title. Bad PR, anyone?

~J

awulf
Mar 5, 2004, 02:07 AM
Not sure what they mean in the article.

Doesn't Mac OS X have something similar?
Address Book + Mail + iChat where all the contact info is synchronized?

nagromme
Mar 5, 2004, 04:43 AM
All that time, money, research and theory... and they come up with a "catchy" technology called Inner Circle. And what is it? A way to put your most-used contacts in a group so you don't have to wade through ALL your contacts. Good grief! Is dividing contacts into groups new???

Oh, but they want to make the list automatic like Smart Playlists--and the article actually DOES give credit to iTunes where it's due.

But unlike Smart Playlists, you won't set the rules for Inner Circle. Microsoft will set them based on your behavior.

Ah.... another annoying wizard! :D

But this wizard, if it ever becomes a shipping product, may include three ingenious techniques:

1. It looks for people you reply to, not just anyone who sends you stuff. Wow, innovative.

2. It looks for people who mention people you know in their blogs. OK, now we're getting creepy... and useless: what micro fraction of people even have blogs?

3. It looks for people who appear in the same photos as other people, and puts them in your contacts. Wow, THAT solves a real-world problem! :D (And I wonder if MS actually has any such technology working in a useful way anyway.)

pEZ
Mar 5, 2004, 07:52 AM
"'It makes me not like my computer,' Cheng said."

Ummm....check me if I'm wrong, but there are more reasons than I can count about why I use a Mac over a Windows-box. And I just have this feeling that even if I owned said Windows-box, the lack of this "Inner Circle" feature would be the least of my worries. And the smallest wedge in a pie chart depicting "Percentages on Reasons Why I Don't Like My Computer."

Photorun
Mar 5, 2004, 08:09 AM
If I was forced to use a peecee every day I too would hate to use my computer, in fact, I'd probably take up sheep farming in northern Yukon as an alternatve.

Flowbee
Mar 5, 2004, 08:10 AM
All that time, money, research and theory... and they come up with a "catchy" technology called Inner Circle. And what is it? A way to put your most-used contacts in a group so you don't have to wade through ALL your contacts. Good grief! Is dividing contacts into groups new???

Microsoft creates another solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

eyeluvmyimac
Mar 5, 2004, 09:33 AM
Microsoft creates another solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

hahahahaha....how true...

<officespace>what a terrible idea....yes terrible....its very bad....that's the worst idea i've ever heard in my life</officespace>

mrsebastian
Mar 5, 2004, 10:32 AM
wow, another wtf moment brought to you by m$! next time m$, come to me and i'll do the research for you and i'll happily charge you only... let's just say i'll take half of whatever millions you just spent [evil laugh].

bennetsaysargh
Mar 5, 2004, 07:16 PM
i don't get this. you can just use groups! have one called inner circle, one called outer circle, one for family, one for friends. very simple.

applemacdude
Mar 5, 2004, 09:07 PM
wow, another wtf moment brought to you by m$!

You just won my first "That's funny but also too true award" Congratulations :D