Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fBaran

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
Hello all. I've been thinking about getting an iSkin protector for my 12" iBook cover, but have a question or two before I buy it.
Have any of you used it? If so, is it comfy? Also, when you close the lid, do you have to take the thing out? Small details like that. Thanks 8)

i use the iskin. at first its weird typing because the keys have this rubbery/soft feel to it. but after a while u get used to it. whenever i take it out i have to getused to the naked keys. i prefer typing with the iskin it seems to feel more like a real keyboard.

you dont need to take it out, in fact i like it cuz it protects the screen a bit and i dont notice any marks on my screen so i dont always put my screen sheet when i close the lid.

i was my iscreen in warm soapy water every couple weeks when i thnk enough gunk has gathered.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I have one for my iBook and it is now relegated to the pile of useless stuff I bought and hate. Just never liked the rubbery feel when typing. You can close the lid with the skin on.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Useless - I had one and ended up giving it to my business partner. I just didn't like the feeling of it. Besides, I'm so anal about keeping my PB clean that the rubber seemed pointless. Just don't eat crumby things around your laptop and you'll be fine - blow out the dust once in while - no problems.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
I love my iskin. It doesn't affect key movement at all. It's very thin and doesn't smudge the screen. The three main reasons I bought it: I get a lot of hair in my keyboard (my hair seems to fall out rapidly, despite that, I'm really not going bald), very hard to clean; it keeps finger oils off the keys and so cuts down on grime(the rubber somewhat absorbs oils so it feels great typing even when it hasn't been washed in a while); and I changed my keys to a dvorak layout, so it gave me home key ridges back. :)

I would definitely recommend it. Apparently, some don't like the rubbery feel, but I actually like it. It makes the keyboard feel a little more substantial. Finger oil will ruin the original finish of your keys, the iskin will stop that. It's actually "wicked" the oils out of my keys that I couldn't get off with a mild soap bath (I popped my keys off to clean them and to set them up as Dvorak). My keyboard -almost- looks new.

fBaran

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
Hello again. I took a close look at the skin, and saw that the Function keys layout is different on the PB and iB. Does that mean that the skin wouldn't fit the iB too well?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
fBaran said:
Hello again. I took a close look at the skin, and saw that the Function keys layout is different on the PB and iB. Does that mean that the skin wouldn't fit the iB too well?

There are model specific versions of the iSkin.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
anyone know the name and url of that company that makes mac case mods? the have clear and printed side panels for powermacs from the blue and white up to the most recent pm G4. I wanna get some of those clear side panels.

fBaran

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
blue&whiteman said:
anyone know the name and url of that company that makes mac case mods? the have clear and printed side panels for powermacs from the blue and white up to the most recent pm G4. I wanna get some of those clear side panels.

MacSkinz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.