Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A number of iPhone-related applications have been featured at Macworld Expo, and here are a few that have caught our interest:

044142-itoner.jpg

iToner 2 from Ambrosia Software enables free, quick ringtone creation and transfer without the need for hacks. The new version adds the ability to easily crop selections, incorporates Cleartone technology for optimizing sound quality for the iPhone speaker, and includes 40 bundled ringtones. iToner 2 is priced at $15, but is a free update for existing iToner users. A free trial is also available.

045742-chat screen wide_425.png

Beejive has announced BeejiveIM for iPhone 2.0 [App Store], bringing a host of new features to the versatile instant messaging application. New features include photo transfers, voice note transfers, iPhone address book integration, added file support for multimedia, PDF, and Microsoft Office files, configurable alert sounds, and a refreshed, more native-looking interface. BeejiveIM 2.0 is priced at $15.99 for new users, and is a free update for existing users.

044330-smule.jpg

Smule, creators of the popular Ocarina application (being demoed above), have released their newest offering, Zephyr [App Store]. Zephyr allows users to draw pictures or messages, to which "wind" sounds based on the users' movements are automatically added. Messages are sent randomly and anonymously around the world, and can be passed on from user to user. Zephyr is priced at $0.99.

044601-719251_2_425.jpg

Announced as part of Phil Schiller's keynote presentation, Apple has released Keynote Remote [App Store]. The application allows users to control Keynote presentations, view presentation notes, and preview upcoming slides via a Wi-Fi pairing between the user's iPhone or iPod touch and any Mac running Keynote '09. Keynote Remote is priced at $0.99.

Article Link: MWSF iPhone Tidbits: iToner 2, Beejive 2, Zephyr, Keynote Remote

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
Keynote looks like it's most useful, and Toner 2 looks the coolest.

I wish I could get something like an iPhone powerpoint controller for Mac.

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
Keynote looks like it's most useful, and Toner 2 looks the coolest.

I wish I could get something like an iPhone powerpoint controller for Mac.

Stage Hand, which has been out for several months is waaay better than Keynote Remote. It has a highlighter amongst many other features. Keynote Remote is pretty bland but much cheaper.

bevo

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2002
So.... after spending $16 on beejive 2? months ago. They want us to spend another $16 for those new features? :eek: :mad:

igazza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
earth
free

That keynote app should be free since you have to buy iwork, own a iphone and of course a mac

not that i care about 1 dollar because it works good :)

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
"Messages are sent randomly and anonymously around the world, and can be passed on from user to user. Zephyr is priced at $0.99."

Jeez, isn't that spamming of the worst kind? No doubt a marketing idea but Apple should stomp on that feature fast!

macteacher43147

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
Keynote Remote

As a teacher I have already used the Keynote Remote for two of my Keynote Lectures. The kids love the idea that I am using my iPod Touch as a remote.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
I don't understand what Apple gets for pricing the Keynote remote at .99. Do they really need the money that bad? It should be FREE. Or, if it is such a good app, they should price it at 9.99 or something. In between prices for smaller developers is good, but for Apple, they just need to include it with iWork 09

eugenio01

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2007
I was very disappointed that with the immediate release of iWork 09 at the keynote, there was no 'Macworld bonus' where the keynote remote program was free to those who purchased iWork this week/month. Poor form Apple.

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
i don't understand the need for it when you have garageband that can do the same thing for free

I don't have a version of garageband that can do the same thing for free. I would have to buy the new version of iLife for this one function. I don't use iPhoto, iMovie, or Garageband. Being able to just buy this one function for 15 bucks is great news for me.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
I don't have a version of garageband that can do the same thing for free. I would have to buy the new version of iLife for this one function. I don't use iPhoto, iMovie, or Garageband. Being able to just buy this one function for 15 bucks is great news for me.

well awesome then! I didn't know you had to have at least iLife '08 for that feature.

hoits2000

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
NW Indiana
15 bucks to make ringtones? People no!!!!!!! You can make ringtones in itunes so easily, just go to the song, right click, go to get info, the go to where you can select the start and stop time of a song, pick your selection, make sure its less than 30 secs, then click ok, right click the song and click create aac, it will make the clip its own song above that song, then click and drag the song to the desktop, delete it from the library, the change the songs file type to m4r, then double click, it will add it to your ringtone group, and sync your iphone!

I just made Teenage mutant Ninja turtles for my iphone last night, to easy. And its FREE!

sonarghost

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
+1 for holts2000

This is the best way to make ringtones (especially since it's free). I've been doing this forever and once you get a hang of it you can do it very quickly as well.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
15 bucks to make ringtones? People no!!!!!!! You can make ringtones in itunes so easily, just go to the song, right click, go to get info, the go to where you can select the start and stop time of a song, pick your selection, make sure its less than 30 secs, then click ok, right click the song and click create aac, it will make the clip its own song above that song, then click and drag the song to the desktop, delete it from the library, the change the songs file type to m4r, then double click, it will add it to your ringtone group, and sync your iphone!

Yea, you're right...That's a lot easier than dragging and dropping..lol

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
I'm not trying to mock you or be disrespectful to the app writers, but who would pay 15$$ to a freekin chat program? :S Especially when there are other alternatives for free...

So.... after spending $16 on beejive 2? months ago. They want us to spend another $16 for those new features? :eek: :mad:

Mate I completely understand what you're trying to say but you miss a very big point: PEOPLE ARE VERY LAZY :rolleyes:

I just made Teenage mutant Ninja turtles for my iphone last night, to easy. And its FREE!

davidee

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
Cool. I had almost forgotten I owned iToner. Time to d/l the update and see how it works.

yea same with me and not only that I made 3 ringtones a while back with QTpro.

/me sighs and goes to look at iToner

davidee

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006

um yeaaahhh ... you need to get with the whole american way. minor tedious task = find an app and support the economy buy buying a download ;-)

That being said, when I did it itunes/qtpro.

I think the procedure was

Find the song in the library
Export to mp3
open it qtpro
identify section and save (as an mp3)
rename that extension to m4r on the clip
double click and itunes would import as an mp4

I will try your method later as well.

(and still try the drag and drop that I forgot I bought ;-) )

mrmma

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Missouri
Mate I completely understand what you're trying to say but you miss a very big point: PEOPLE ARE VERY LAZY :rolleyes:

I agree. I tried explaining the iTunes procedure to my friends with no luck. Oh well, I've got a nice selection of free ringtones.

hoits2000

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
NW Indiana
ya, the first time I did it, it took me a few minutes, but now since you have to select the part of the song you want anyway (that part takes the most time), with or without a paid program , I can make a ringtone within 30 secs and thats with a sip of Pepsi in the middle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.