PDA

View Full Version : Beijing panda bites third tourist (BBC)

MacBoobsPro
Jan 9, 2009, 06:23 AM
The title is from the BBC news site but shouldn't it read "Third idiot jumps in Panda Pen" ? :rolleyes:

"A panda at the Beijing zoo has bitten a tourist for the third time in two years, causing leg injuries.
Gu Gu the panda had to have his jaws forced open to free the man, who had jumped in to retrieve his son's toy.
Gu Gu first bit a man in 2007, when a drunken tourist jumped into his pen and tried to hug him, then bit the panda in the back in retaliation.
Gu Gu later bit a teenager who had let curiosity about the panda's pen put him in harm's way.
The latest incident saw the 110kg (240lb) Gu Gu maul the legs of Zhang Jiao.
"The panda bit into the man's right leg, and when he was done with that, he bit the left leg," the Beijing Morning Post reported.
The panda refused to let go until zookeepers pried his jaws open with tools, said a zoo spokeswoman surnamed Gong.
Mr Zhang Jiao of central Anhui province suffered damage to major ligaments and is recovering from surgery.
He may also face criminal charges for entering the panda pen.
Pandas, a national symbol of China, are mythologised as cute and cuddly but can often be violent.
Scientists believe fewer than 2,000 giant pandas live in the wild in China.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7819372.stm

.Andy
Jan 9, 2009, 06:26 AM
"Third idiot jumps in Panda Pen" ? :rolleyes:
I wouldn't be so judgemental. Incidents like these are rarely black and white.

Blue Velvet
Jan 9, 2009, 06:30 AM

Unbearable! :D

Yes, I know the panda isn't a bear, but who gives a feck?

Lau
Jan 9, 2009, 06:31 AM

Indeed. The poor chap could have just been bamboozled by whether or not to go in.

iBlue
Jan 9, 2009, 06:34 AM
Lets not pander to these sorts of assumptions.

MacBoobsPro
Jan 9, 2009, 06:44 AM
It makes me wonder what would of happened if the 'curious teenager' had visited the shark tank first?

Lau
Jan 9, 2009, 06:48 AM
It makes me wonder what would of happened if the 'curious teenager' had visited the shark tank first?

It makes me paws for thought, too.

MacBoobsPro
Jan 9, 2009, 06:50 AM
Wow Im having an off day. I can't think of any clever stuff.

I may refur myself to the doctor.

skunk
Jan 9, 2009, 07:37 AM
I may take a while to come up with An-Answer.

yrsonicdeath
Jan 9, 2009, 07:43 AM
Perhaps the second strangest panda phenomenon.

First: Panda Dog (http://images.google.com/images?q=panda+dog&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title)

MacBoobsPro
Jan 9, 2009, 07:50 AM

First: Panda Dog (http://images.google.com/images?q=panda+dog&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title)

Click the first image on the first page, theres some well funny pics! :D

cantthinkofone
Jan 9, 2009, 10:59 AM
How big is this fence? I would think after the first bite that they would make the fence more difficult to climb.

Abstract
Jan 9, 2009, 11:13 AM
^^^Why? It's not a safety issue. The fence is there, and signs are probably there as well. They've done everything they need to do, and if people are only getting bitten after climbing a fence that was built specifically to separate the panda from zoo visitors, there's not much you can do. If the panda was escaping from its cage, then that would be a different story. The fence is unsatisfactory.

You just can't stop stupid people from doing stupid things, nor is it our job.

it5five
Jan 9, 2009, 03:58 PM
Once the Pandas taste human flesh, there is no turning back. Or so I hear.

Gray-Wolf
Jan 9, 2009, 08:44 PM
You "Play" with a wild animal, you have to take the lumps with it. Ban the nuts from getting near the Panda's for his own safety, since he has NO common sense to stay away.

ravenvii
Jan 10, 2009, 01:06 AM
Yes, I know the panda isn't a bear, but who gives a feck?

Actually the panda is arguably a bear. What the panda really is is a controversy, some think it's related to the raccoon, some think it's a bear, and some think pandas belong to a group entirely its own.

But the arguments for the panda being a bear seems to be the current winner.

Apologizes for the interruption, you may go back to your regular programming.

teflon
Jan 10, 2009, 02:40 AM

Aww some of the panda dogs are so cute :)! But honestly, what kind of dog is that? What can you mix to get something like that?

Regarding the victim, and all the victims before, they're pretty much all idiots. Hugging a wild animal?? Jumping inside to get your kid's toy? Regardless of how cute and cuddly it is, it's still a wild animal. A pretty big one at that. Would you jump into a tiger's cage to shake paws?

Aeolius
Jan 10, 2009, 07:42 AM
Once the Pandas taste human flesh, there is no turning back. Or so I hear.

Which leads to an epidemic of pure pandemonium.

yrsonicdeath
Jan 10, 2009, 08:57 AM
Aww some of the panda dogs are so cute :)! But honestly, what kind of dog is that? What can you mix to get something like that?

I'm no expert. To be honest I saw this in People magazine while at the Dentist.:o

cantthinkofone
Jan 10, 2009, 10:19 AM
^^^Why? It's not a safety issue. The fence is there, and signs are probably there as well. They've done everything they need to do, and if people are only getting bitten after climbing a fence that was built specifically to separate the panda from zoo visitors, there's not much you can do. If the panda was escaping from its cage, then that would be a different story. The fence is unsatisfactory.

You just can't stop stupid people from doing stupid things, nor is it our job.

People still cross roads with water over them, even with signs up and cars floating by. :p

Gotta protect the idiots too you know.....sadly.

william sire
Jan 10, 2009, 11:01 AM
Tourist are delicious.

satty
Jan 10, 2009, 01:10 PM
How big is this fence? I would think after the first bite that they would make the fence more difficult to climb.

I've been to Beijing Zoo in 2006. At the Panda enclosure there's no fence at all. It's more like a waterless trench with a wall on the visitor's side and a slope on the Panda's side. All someone has to do is jump down approx. 2 meters.

So there're certainly things that could be done to ensure those things don't happen again.

PlaceofDis
Jan 10, 2009, 01:16 PM
zoos in general make me sad. and the poor guy is probably angry at being cooped up in a pen.

AmbitiousLemon
Jan 10, 2009, 01:55 PM
This guy fell in accidentally.
His most recent victim was 28-year-old Zhang Jiao, who told CNN he fell into the panda pen Wednesday while trying to catch a small toy thrown by his young son.

"My son and I were playing with a panda doll, throwing it to each other, when I dropped with the toy" into the pen, Zhang said.

The barrier around the pen is about 5 feet tall, but on the other side is a drop of 9 to 10 feet, and Zhang says he could not climb out.

That's when Gu Gu went on the attack.

The 240-pound giant panda sunk his teeth into Zhang's left leg before moving on to the right leg.

"The panda is a national treasure, and I love and respect [him], so I didn't fight back," Zhang said. "The panda didn't let go until it chewed up my leg and its mouth was dripping with my blood."

Now how he accidentally fell over a 5 foot tall fence I have no idea.

Zhang said he never imagined a panda could be so vicious.

"I always thought they were cute and just ate bamboo," Zhang said.

Zoo officials did not respond to CNN's request for an interview but are reportedly considering new measures to keep tourists out of Gu Gu's pen.