Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
Is there any difference in the display of the new Unibody Macbooks compared to the current White Macbooks? Is the unibody display more glossy and glary or are the both pretty much the same? Thanks

cogsinister

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2006
Fredericton NB Canada
Is there any difference in the display of the new Unibody Macbooks compared to the current White Macbooks? Is the unibody display more glossy and glary or are the both pretty much the same? Thanks

The display in my ally MB is, i would say no better or worse image wise than my old plastic MB......it is a LOT brighter, and at times the glass front is a bit glare prone.....but its livable with IMHO......

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I've owned both and I would say the aluminum MacBook is WAY brighter and a little sharper than my white boy was.
(just my opinion tho)

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah, this is for my girlfriend. She is caught between getting the new unibody macbook or the white macbook. She's only going to be using it for surfing the web, iChat, and email. She doesn't want anything that's going to have too much glare and I wasn't sure if there was a difference in display between the two. I guess she told me the worker at the Mac store told her the white macbooks were pretty much garbage and didn't know why they still sell them.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I guess she told me the worker at the Mac store told her the white macbooks were pretty much garbage and didn't know why they still sell them.

Thats not entirely true but of course the aluminum model is nicer/newer.
If she will only be surfing the web, email and iChat, I think she would be more than happy with the white MacBook

**Maybe she told you that cause she really wants the aluminum one!? hint hint...

cogsinister

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2006
Fredericton NB Canada
Yeah, this is for my girlfriend. She is caught between getting the new unibody macbook or the white macbook. She's only going to be using it for surfing the web, iChat, and email. She doesn't want anything that's going to have too much glare and I wasn't sure if there was a difference in display between the two. I guess she told me the worker at the Mac store told her the white macbooks were pretty much garbage and didn't know why they still sell them.

The white MacBooks are far from Garbage, the cases can crack on the wristrests however carefull you are with them....i treated mine like a baby and both wristrests cracked and splintered within a week of each other after 8 months !!!

Oh and the cpu fan failed......and the hard drive.......and the screen backlighting was going very dim........

But apart from that it was a great computer........and i mean that.......

It just had too many faults to be able to rely on it......

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
Thats not entirely true but of course the aluminum model is nicer/newer.
If she will only be surfing the web, email and iChat, I think she would be more than happy with the white MacBook

**Maybe she told you that cause she really wants the aluminum one!? hint hint...

LOL I gave her a gift card for Christmas so she can pretty much get what she wants. She thinks the White Macbooks are cute but now after she was told that by the worker, she is now rethinking. Like I said, her main concern is the glare on the screen between the two. She also only plans on having this for 2 years before she buys another one (if she likes Apple).

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
LOL I gave her a gift card for Christmas so she can pretty much get what she wants. She thinks the White Macbooks are cute but now after she was told that by the worker, she is now rethinking. Like I said, her main concern is the glare on the screen between the two. She also only plans on having this for 2 years before she buys another one (if she likes Apple).

Apple stores usually have really bright overhead lights. I've never ran into a serious glare problem that couldnt be resolved by adjusting the brightness or screen angle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.