Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
I just got an update about sony at CES and i saw this: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?sssdmh=dm11.118245&catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644608896&XID=E:CESsupport_010809:pseries

Seems like a good product. I am assuming it runs on a 1.33 Ghz intel Atom which is not up to par with the MBA and its 1.6 or 1.86 INtel C2D but everything else but the OS seems to beat it (size i mean come on it is just a keyboard)

I understand it s a net book but y had apple not grassed us with this beautiful and functional design.

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
I just got an update about sony at CES and i saw this: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?sssdmh=dm11.118245&catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644608896&XID=E:CESsupport_010809:pseries

Seems like a good product. I am assuming it runs on a 1.33 Ghz intel Atom which is not up to par with the MBA and its 1.6 or 1.86 INtel C2D but everything else but the OS seems to beat it (size i mean come on it is just a keyboard)

i feel like these are like apples and oranges. this is a netbook whereas the Air is not. the Air has a full keyboard and should be compared to other full size keyboards-- the Dell Adamo, the new MSI, etc.

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
well if windows 7 turns out to be everything its cracked up to be I might pick one of those up but I wouldnt dare run it on vista.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
i feel like these are like apples and oranges. this is a netbook whereas the Air is not. the Air has a full keyboard and should be compared to other full size keyboards-- the Dell Adamo, the new MSI, etc.

I just feel apple could do this but all appley and cool

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
I use my MacBook Air a lot, I can tell you that this would get much less use, even if it was an Apple product and ran OS X.

could? they did this a year ago. If its wasn't for the MBA we wouldn't know the word Adamo. :rolleyes:

Yes but this thing has 3G and it will fit in your jacket pocket.

The Air is great, i have on i use for school, i just feel if apple made this it could be like an iPhone pro or a bigger iPhone with a keyboard that cool do all the iPhone stuff but with more power or maybe run full OS X with a Front Row style or iPhone style interface for quick access or GPS and Phone. I Air is great for what it is but all in all its just a thin macbook that costs twice as much. I would much rather pay $1000 bucks for something i could uses all the time Than $2500 for something i have to sit down to use just like every other Laptop but oh its thin in the front but just as thick as every other thin computer in the back

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Yes but this thing has 3G and it will fit in your jacket pocket.

The Air is great, i have on i use for school, i just feel if apple made this it could be like an iPhone pro or a bigger iPhone with a keyboard that cool do all the iPhone stuff but with more power or maybe run full OS X with a Front Row style or iPhone style interface for quick access or GPS and Phone. I Air is great for what it is but all in all its just a thin macbook that costs twice as much. I would much rather pay $1000 bucks for something i could uses all the time Than $2500 for something i have to sit down to use just like every other Laptop but oh its thin in the front but just as thick as every other thin computer in the back

Ok, my iPhone has 3G as well and i could just use that as it will fit in my actual pocket. I just couldn't see myself using something that small as a computer when I have my phone for anything quick and my Air for if I want to browse for a while. And you could just buy a refurbished Rev A MacBook Air for $1000, so it's the same price as the Sony netbook. The reason why I like the Air is because it has all the features of a laptop but remains extremely portable and with the iPhone I think it is the perfect combo.

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
it looks like a PDA to me. i like the Air because of the full screen and the full sized keyboard. i can't do the work i do on a tiny keyboard. it's an interesting novelty but i wouldn't get anything meaningful done on it.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
it looks like a PDA to me. i like the Air because of the full screen and the full sized keyboard. i can't do the work i do on a tiny keyboard. it's an interesting novelty but i wouldn't get anything meaningful done on it.

I like novelty

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
The whole netbook thing has passed me by. Maybe i'm in the minority, but if I go to an office or clients, I'll take my laptop. If I'm out and about, I have my iPhone. Back at the house I have my iMac and when I'm lounging around I have a laptop. I don't want a screen smaller than a Macbook or MBA when I'm browsing the web and doing emails at home or a smaller keyboard and form factor, I like having a good size of screen for browsing the web in particular. When I'm out I don't want to carry anything bigger than a PDA or iPhone as I don't see the point. I'm on the move and I just want the basics - emails and be able to get info from the web.

Maybe its just me.

coupdetat

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
well if windows 7 turns out to be everything its cracked up to be I might pick one of those up but I wouldnt dare run it on vista.

Vista isn't so bad that Windows 7 is going to be such a huge revelation. All this drama about Vista is getting lame.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
Having tried smaller screens before and finding the screens, keyboards, and trackpads too small I'm with Jobs on this one and feel that 13 inches is the best size. The Macbook Air is about the smallest thing I could use comfortably.

I think Apple should skip the netbook thing entirely and just surprise us with a tablet or something else. Netbooks just are too cramped for big hands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.