PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about guitar strings

skatj
Jan 10, 2009, 12:45 AM
I'm a beginner so I use light gauge strings, but I don't like how twangy the top 2 strings sound, and it's kind of awkward to fret because they are so thin. Is there anything wrong with using medium gauge for those two strings, but keeping everything else light?

Also, do I have to readjust the guitar or anything if I switch string gauge. When I bought the guitar I believe they were originally medium, but I switched them to light without changing the setup. If I were to change them back to medium, do I have to get it tweaked?

Finally, does anyone have experience with silk and steel strings. I prefer a more mellow sound but I heard that the string gauge was really light and might cause buzzing.

Thanks - I play acoustic btw

leishan
Jan 10, 2009, 04:51 PM
I'm a beginner so I use light gauge strings, but I don't like how twangy the top 2 strings sound, and it's kind of awkward to fret because they are so thin. Is there anything wrong with using medium gauge for those two strings, but keeping everything else light?

Also, do I have to readjust the guitar or anything if I switch string gauge. When I bought the guitar I believe they were originally medium, but I switched them to light without changing the setup. If I were to change them back to medium, do I have to get it tweaked?

Finally, does anyone have experience with silk and steel strings. I prefer a more mellow sound but I heard that the string gauge was really light and might cause buzzing.

Thanks - I play acoustic btw

If the guitar was originally set up for medium gauge strings, then switching back shouldn't require a new setup. Just know that you should check the setup whenever you change gauges.

Which silk and steel strings are you thinking of using?

skatj
Jan 10, 2009, 09:02 PM
I'm not sure - I don't really know the differences between brands. I guess whatever my local music store carries.

leishan
Jan 10, 2009, 09:10 PM
Elixirs are very good strings. They seem to keep their brightness for a while longer.

skatj
Jan 11, 2009, 02:51 PM
Hmm i'll look up some reviews for those, thanks. Can anyone answer my question about mixing string gauges though? I'm gonna be going to the music store pretty soon so it'll be nice to have some input.

leishan
Jan 11, 2009, 04:38 PM
It shouldn't be a problem mixing string gauges.

Mattaut
Jan 12, 2009, 10:09 AM
You can also ask the people at the music store, usually someone there will be able to answer any questions you have.

notjustjay
Jan 12, 2009, 10:13 AM
I second Elixirs! The only brand I buy.