PDA

View Full Version : iPods Could Transform Apple Computer

MacBytes
Mar 5, 2004, 02:44 PM
Link: iPods Could Transform Apple Computer (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040305154440)

Posted on MacBytes.com

Savage Henry
Mar 5, 2004, 02:50 PM
iPod has been around for quite a while now and the change hasn't really hit. The G5, 6 and 7 has a better chance of transforming Apple.

The PC fans I know love the iPod, but they have no intention of crossing into Mac land. Whereas the G5 is testing their faith. Ad I don't see them moving until the G6. And then invite their friends when the G7 makes it's way from my imagination and into a Powermac casing.

1macker1
Mar 5, 2004, 04:34 PM
I agree, I dont see the hype behind the iPod. But when the G5 powerbooks come out...LOOK OUT!
iPod has been around for quite a while now and the change hasn't really hit. The G5, 6 and 7 has a better chance of transforming Apple.

The PC fans I know love the iPod, but they have no intention of crossing into Mac land. Whereas the G5 is testing their faith. Ad I don't see them moving until the G6. And then invite their friends when the G7 makes it's way from my imagination and into a Powermac casing.

TwitchOSX
Mar 5, 2004, 10:10 PM
G5's in Powerbooks is still a ways away. They need to figure out heating problems. You cant stick 8 fans in a powerbook to slowly move air around like you can in a G5 Tower. By the time they get to that, other companies may be able to compete. Hopefully IBM is able to hold off Intel. Hopefully Intel is starting to slip with thier processors and will start having a hard time keeping up. Who knows what Intel has up its sleves. Granted, the Intel Celeron processors are crap, and they cant compete with G4's or G5's, BUT, they are still definately in the game for now.

I read an article on atat.com (as the appleturns) and they noted a new PC notbook that is 17" but weighs like 16lbs! Sure it might have a little better resolution, but it weights twice as much, and has a 1hour.. 1 HOUR battery life. How pathetic is that.

That has nothing to do with this really, but still, we cant just assume that IBM is going to make super processors that will kill Intel. It will take a few years. Hopefully it will happen, but in this business, you never know. Anyway, the iPod is awesome, and I sure hope it helps Apple sales on computers.

Ambrose Chapel
Mar 6, 2004, 07:04 AM
if most PC people buy their iPods in an Apple Store, this could lead to some increased marketshare--PC people walk around looking for the iPods, look at all the beautiful Macs...decide they want their next comp to be one...

richland
Mar 6, 2004, 07:07 AM
But when the G5 powerbooks come out...LOOK OUT!

Will still be behind on speed compared to PCs.

Sabenth
Mar 6, 2004, 04:47 PM
The iPod has changed apple a lot look at what they have because of it >

itms which in turn works with the iPod they are focusing a lot on the music at the moment thanks to that thing . pLUS THE MINI cant forget that :D

aswitcher
Mar 6, 2004, 04:52 PM

Not when they optermise the operating system and other programs for true 64 bit processing. Then expect to see I beleive a 40% increase in speed on the underlying Ghz. Plus its Unix which is cleaner and faster anyway.

markjones05
Mar 6, 2004, 05:40 PM

PC's speed is only usefull for rebooting in-between crashes.

winmacguy
Mar 7, 2004, 02:31 PM

From what I can work out, the apparent speed advantage that PCs have is most obvious at this stage in PC gaming where the higher fps is crucial in a lot of games although I understand that that is being rectified in the underlying code in the next update for Panther. And PCs are beating Macs at the moment in certain 3D applications which were origninally only written for PCs. Although that is also being changed as the aps are beiing ported over to Mac.