Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mossyrock13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
I have an older 12"Powerbook G4 867 processor, very early model that I have had for a good while. It had been a good piece of equipment and great for travel. It was running 10.2.8. I had been told it would run slow with any other OS X edition so I never upgraded it, really didn't need to for what I wanted. Long story short, I was trying to recover some music this morning and did a restore and have lost everything on the internal HD, files, OS X operating system and the computer will not even boot up now.

Have I destroyed the computer or do I just need to get the OS X system disk and boot up from the start. The only thing that appears on the screen now is the Apple and the image doesn't go any further, no hard drive activity, no cursor, no dock at the bottom of the screen, nothing! I realize that I have lost the files but would like to be able to use the computer.

I will have to dig out my OS X system restore disk or buy a new disk if I can't find the original that came with the computer. What version will run Ok on the 867 processor, think I only have 640 of storage.

If I can get a disk, how does one boot from start up, will the machine recognize the disk if it is inserted after I turn the computer on? I'm hoping I don't have a new flat door stop. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

mossyrock13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
I tried installing 10.4.2 on the computer and it will not work so I guess the best thing is to find my 10.2.8 Jaguar disk and use that or buy one on ebay if I can't find it.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I tried installing 10.4.2 on the computer and it will not work so I guess the best thing is to find my 10.2.8 Jaguar disk and use that or buy one on ebay if I can't find it.

I'm not sure what the issue would be. You can run Leopard on the 12". It has to be a retail version of the OS, installing from a disk that came with another computer will not work.

mossyrock13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
That is what I tried today, just borrowed from a friend to see if it would work. I will have to try and find my original install disk for 10.2.8. If I can't find the original disk can you still buy Jaguar or should I try ebay? Really don't want to spend much at this point.

Since I seem to have lost everything it can't be used for much other than internet access. It was a good computer for travel since it was small, wireless and if damaged, not a big deal.

Thanks for the reply

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'm confused to what OS you're running right now and what backup you are restoring from?

If it's Leopard with Time Machine, then you need the Leopard disc to boot from in order to restore the whole computer from a Time Machine backup.

mossyrock13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Originally, I was running 10.2.8. I was actually trying to restore music that was lost? and I was using a backup set on the internal Mac HD on the 12" G4. I screwed up and lost everything so now I have written off the music and just want to be able to use the computer with 10.2.8. Hope that answers your question.

Attachments

• sesreq.jpg
    sesreq.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 57

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Buy a new harddisk. Just because you find the original DVD does not mean you will be able to install it again.

Besides, it's not worth the risk of losing everything again. If you can't hear your harddisk spin up at all, the harddisk is dead.

mossyrock13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
I don't believe it is the HD as that is spinning and actually was loading Tiger (disks on loan) earlier today and quickly gave me a message that I could not load it on that computer.

mossyrock13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
The hard drive is spinning and that was not the problem in the first place. I now have a 10.2 system disk and need to boot from the HD, any ideas on how to accomplish this. If I insert the disk it does not boot up and I get a circle with a line through it on the screen. Have tried holding down the "C" key while turning the computer on, no good.

Can't find my original system restore disk that came with the computer, I can't believe there is no solution to this situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.