PDA

View Full Version : Caesar salad or Severed salad?

Dros
Mar 5, 2004, 03:59 PM
Ughh.

article link (http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/03/05/offbeat.fingertip.food.ap/index.html)

"thought it was gristle". Yuck.

I usually think people are dorks when they sue for "emotional distress", but this time it would be justified.

eyelikeart
Mar 5, 2004, 04:07 PM
eewwwwwww..... :eek:

I wonder if the restaurant will be shutdown?

wdlove
Mar 5, 2004, 05:37 PM
I looked at the link and I don't see the severed thumb, just a crouton, mushroom, onion, and lettuce. That sounds very weird, if a thumb was severed there would be a lot of bleeding. The pain and blood should have been a clue. :confused:

rainman::|:|
Mar 5, 2004, 05:40 PM
I looked at the link and I don't see the severed thumb, just a crouton, mushroom, onion, and lettuce. That sounds very weird, if a thumb was severed there would be a lot of bleeding. The pain and blood should have been a clue. :confused:

the man knew he severed part of his thumb; in fact the rush to get him to the hospital is how they "lost track" of the tip, and subsequently didn't throw away the food. kind of creepy...

paul

Stelliform
Mar 5, 2004, 06:53 PM
I looked at the link and I don't see the severed thumb, just a crouton, mushroom, onion, and lettuce. :confused:

I agree the picture with the zoom is box is very misleading. when I read the story it says that she was mostly finished her salad....

I sure hope the guy doesn't have any diseases that she could have caught...

wdlove
Mar 5, 2004, 07:14 PM
I agree the picture with the zoom is box is very misleading. when I read the story it says that she was mostly finished her salad....

I sure hope the guy doesn't have any diseases that she could have caught...

Thank you Stelliform, I'm glad that it wasn't just me. I did try to use a magnifier, which is my trusty friend.

If they follow protocol they will draw blood from both victims to test for any diseases. Treat appropriately and they followup in six months.

Frohickey
Mar 5, 2004, 08:09 PM
Mmmmmm... Salad Surprise!!!

I used to work for a fast food restaurant. I was managing it when a customer came back and complained about finding a Band-Aid in her salad. She was not a happy camper. Neither was I.

MrMacMan
Mar 5, 2004, 11:57 PM
ech...

Thats horrible...

My mom had a peice of glass in her food...

Free Meal, but still not worth it if she has cut her tung.

rainman::|:|
Mar 6, 2004, 12:25 AM
my dad bit a piece of (bone, i assume) gristle in a mcdonalds burger once, shattered a tooth. without so much as a threat, mcdonalds payed for him to have it rebuilt at the best dentist around. i was surprised, but a thousand bucks is a lot less than a lawsuit would cost them, even if they won...

i can see how finding things like this in your food would be incredibly disturbing, like the fried chicken head they found in the bucket of KFC, and the "dismembered penis" found in a bottle of fruit juice, tho it was later determined that it was mold caused by an airleak, but still... disturbing image warning-- click here to see (http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/punch.htm). So, i'd say lawsuits in this area are an OK thing, to protect consumers (who have to trust these places to properly prepare food) and force the restaurant to keep things 100% ship-shape. However, in the case of the kentucky-fried-head, for example, the woman picked it up and showed it to several people, laughing. Then she tried to sue. That's not cool.

paul

The_Dood
Mar 6, 2004, 03:05 AM
When my mom was a kid a friend of hers found a small rat(dead) in the bottom of her can of coke! It must have gotten in there during the bottling process. Luckily, she had been pouring it into a glass at the time, and was shocked when she saw a bit of the tail and fur come out of the hole. I don't know what happened after that, but my mom totally reminded me of that story countless times that even now I'm a bit hesitant to drink straight from the can. :(

Chip NoVaMac
Mar 6, 2004, 07:19 AM
the man knew he severed part of his thumb; in fact the rush to get him to the hospital is how they "lost track" of the tip, and subsequently didn't throw away the food. kind of creepy...

paul

Sounds like the manager will be finding a new job, since he seemed to me more concerned about food costs then public health safety.

Inspector Lee
Mar 6, 2004, 06:28 PM
When my mom was a kid a friend of hers found a small rat(dead) in the bottom of her can of coke! It must have gotten in there during the bottling process. Luckily, she had been pouring it into a glass at the time, and was shocked when she saw a bit of the tail and fur come out of the hole. I don't know what happened after that, but my mom totally reminded me of that story countless times that even now I'm a bit hesitant to drink straight from the can. :(

This sounds awfully similar to those mice in Pepsi claims which swept the nation about 10 years ago. It turned out not one of them was valid and many people went to jail over false claims (I think there were at least 50 different allegations). It is best to tread lightly when taking on one of the corporate behemoths.

Dr. Zauis
Mar 7, 2004, 11:12 AM
Its amazing what goes into our fast-food.

I was eating at McDonalds once and found a wad of paper in my McChicken.
On the paper in purple ink was printed, "Poultry Class B" and some other numbers I assumed was batch #.

I took it back and they gave me $1 (purchase price) and another McChicken.(I threw away the McChicken)

G4scott
Mar 7, 2004, 11:59 AM
Sounds like the manager will be finding a new job, since he seemed to me more concerned about food costs then public health safety.

I think the manager was more concerned about his employee who had just chopped off his thumb. I'm sure he didn't purposely forget about their policy, just because of some wasted lettuce.

Chip NoVaMac
Mar 7, 2004, 02:38 PM
I think the manager was more concerned about his employee who had just chopped off his thumb. I'm sure he didn't purposely forget about their policy, just because of some wasted lettuce.

Beg to differ. One, the report is that the employees looked through the lettuce. Two, it would be unlikely the manger if they we the lone manager on duty at the time would have left the store with the injured employee. If there were assistant mangers then they would be at fault for not discarding that batch of lettuce. Even line supervisors are trained in health codes.

Maybe I was a bit harsh, but there is NO reason that the lettuce was not discarded, or put aside with notice not to use (since the part of the thumb was not found on first search).

I have worked as management in restaurants before. I left the industry because of what I saw. If you go into a fast food joint and their frozen dairy machine is "broken" - likelihood is that it is not broken, but been shut down by the health department. In our area of the country it is against code to reuse the dairy mix. But it routinely is. Why? Food costs. Also in our area it is required to discard any package of baked goods that contain mold. Even on a single piece. You would be surprised at how often this is not done. Why? Food costs.

question fear
Mar 7, 2004, 07:35 PM
Beg to differ. One, the report is that the employees looked through the lettuce. Two, it would be unlikely the manger if they we the lone manager on duty at the time would have left the store with the injured employee. If there were assistant mangers then they would be at fault for not discarding that batch of lettuce. Even line supervisors are trained in health codes.

Maybe I was a bit harsh, but there is NO reason that the lettuce was not discarded, or put aside with notice not to use (since the part of the thumb was not found on first search).

I have worked as management in restaurants before. I left the industry because of what I saw. If you go into a fast food joint and their frozen dairy machine is "broken" - likelihood is that it is not broken, but been shut down by the health department. In our area of the country it is against code to reuse the dairy mix. But it routinely is. Why? Food costs. Also in our area it is required to discard any package of baked goods that contain mold. Even on a single piece. You would be surprised at how often this is not done. Why? Food costs.

I agree. I run a coffee shop, but was still mandated to attend a food safety class as a part of the health dept requirements for a "person in charge of a food service environment", literally just took the class yesterday and its all really fresh in my mind...
There is no, repeat, no reason not to throw away that lettuce. Whether or not the manager was there, everyone there should have been trained that any food that comes in contact with bodily fluids needs to be thrown out.
Also, lets not forget that lettuce was BLOODY, or should have been if the thumb landed in it...which means someone there made the decision to RINSE bloody lettuce and re-serve it, or separated out the obviously bloody parts and keep the parts that looked ok. Terrible, horrible violations. I am sure the health dept shut them down and probably has levied heavy fines...this isnt a "oops i'll do better next time" sort of violation, like not putting food six inches off the ground (the kind of violation thats critical, but wont necessarily result in a direct health risk upon the first mistake).
This is a five-alarm violation...anyone who thinks its ok to use food exposed to blood (!) needs to be kept from working in food service.

as for cost-cutting measures, at my company (borders) they put together a ready-made food program and freshness system that drastically reduced waste while insuring that at the store level there was less room for mistakes like bad food getting through. a little extra investment in r&d and new vendor relations, but the end result is safe food. they also make it very clear safe food is whats important...any place that doesnt put that first isnt worth working or eating at.

ExoticFish
Mar 7, 2004, 11:34 PM
wow, i was just over by there the other day (i live about 20 minutes away) and was thinking to myself how i haven't been to Red Robin in a while... i don't think i'm going to be stopping by anytime soon though. :(

The_Dood
Mar 8, 2004, 02:05 AM
There is no, repeat, no reason not to throw away that lettuce. Whether or not the manager was there, everyone there should have been trained that any food that comes in contact with bodily fluids needs to be thrown out.
Also, lets not forget that lettuce was BLOODY, or should have been if the thumb landed in it...which means someone there made the decision to RINSE bloody lettuce and re-serve it, or separated out the obviously bloody parts and keep the parts that looked ok. Terrible, horrible violations.

Yuck, that is totally sick. It really makes me wonder what goes on behind the scenes in restaurant kitchens... personally, I like the places where I can see my food being made (i.e. Subway, etc.). If the dude chopped of his/her body appendage while making my sandwich I would make sure it goes in the trash! Maybe it's best just to eat at home...

Dippo
Mar 8, 2004, 05:17 AM
Yuck, that is totally sick. It really makes me wonder what goes on behind the scenes in restaurant kitchens... personally, I like the places where I can see my food being made (i.e. Subway, etc.). If the dude chopped of his/her body appendage while making my sandwich I would make sure it goes in the trash! Maybe it's best just to eat at home...

It's probably a whole lot healthier too!

I used to work in a fast food place and I could tell you that things aren't always clean and sanitary.

question fear
Mar 8, 2004, 07:19 AM
i walked out of my safeserv class sooooo glad i was a vegetarian.

but seriously, yea, there aer things we dont know about behind the scenes and stuff...but generally, common sense will keep you safe. watch for things like someone handling money, then touching your straw/cup/bread etc without gloves or washing their hands. make a point of yelling at someone whos not wearing gloves, and request they change gloves before they touch your meal (if you can see it).
the number one rule the instructor gave us was "if it doesnt seem right for some reason, just dont use/eat it".
maybe somene should mention that to that fast food place.