Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhomayne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
So I installed Leopard on my iBook because I'm a sucker for wanting the newest thing (this was a while ago) but I'm now biting the bullet and deciding that I need to go back to Tiger for performance reasons.

However, when I put in my Tiger upgrade DVD to reinstall it tells me that I need to have 10.3 or later installed to upgrade and that nothing can be found on my system.

Any ideas?

Thanks. :)

jhomayne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Aha. I thought that before I started. ;)

But I found it strange that it stated:
"You need 10.3 or later to perform an upgrade." (or words to that effect)

When currently have 10.5...

Anyway, if there's no way round this, I should be able to go back to the original 10.3 discs that came with my new iBook and then instantly upgrade to Tiger?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Aha. I thought that before I started. ;)

But I found it strange that it stated:
"You need 10.3 or later to perform an upgrade." (or words to that effect)

When currently have 10.5...

It's not odd ... the program just doesn't have it coded that 10.5 is newer than 10.3. It doesn't know what came out after the disc was printed.

Anyway, if there's no way round this, I should be able to go back to the original 10.3 discs that came with my new iBook and then instantly upgrade to Tiger?

Correct. Time consuming, but it will work.

jhomayne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
It's not odd ... the program just doesn't have it coded that 10.5 is newer than 10.3. It doesn't know what came out after the disc was printed.

A fair point. I just thought that "later" might stretch to 10.5.

Correct. Time consuming, but it will work.
Right. Best start then!

Thanks for the help! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.