Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deepikaur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Before giving your opinion, please hear me out and tell me which you think would best suit me. [I put the main ideas in bold to help you out.]
This will be my first iPod, as I've (finally) saved up without splurging on something else first.

I'm liking both the 8GB Touch and the 120GB Classic.. Nano and Shuffle are completely ruled out.

The WiFi on the Touch sounds pretty great.. And since I'm one of those people who has to constantly check her email, it'd be wonderful. WiFi access isn't a problem either.

But I hear that the Touch doesn't have great battery life. Quite frankly, I'm not a patient person at all, so I wouldn't do well with it running out of juice fast. And if I DID get the Touch, the WiFi would probably be on a majority of the time.

There wouldn't be too many apps I'd put on the Touch. I'm a huge fan of Pandora, so that'd be a must-have app. I'd check my email. Maybe use Twitter or FriendFeed occasionally. And Facebook. That's about it. No games or mindless apps for me, please and thank you.

But I'm a clean freak when it comes to technology. The whole finger prints on the screen from touching it would get to me.

The Classic has a massive amount of space. I'm all for that. Besides, I'm kind of in need of some sort of an external harddrive. ;) But 120GB? I don't think I'd be able to fill more than 20GB with my collection (not counting the songs I don't even listen to anymore).

I like the spinwheel. My brother has a nano, and I just love playing with the wheel.

I will be running with my iPod. I'm a runner, so I'll probably need to purchase an armband of some sort. But would it be wise to be running with the Touch?

One thing about the Classic that worries me is that I've heard it freezes up and skips a lot. Is this true?

Something that's got me a bit worried about the Touch is that I hear it pretty much lives on iTunes. My CD album collection is rather decent, and I've not installed iTunes on my laptop yet. I probably won't be purchasing much music via iTunes (because I have albums I've bought), but if I do, it'll probably be while I'm at my cousin's, rather than installing it when I won't be using it much. My other cousin says not to use iTunes too. She supposedly found an alternative (which I'm not sure is completely the best route. She uses WinAmp to manage her iPod).

But what's really got a hold on me is the battery life. Videos, I won't be watching much. The screen will be off a majority of the time. It'll mostly be for audio, or in the case of the touch, WiFi.

Which do you think would be best for me?

Sorry for posting a novel. :eek: I'm one of those people who analyzes every possible aspect before making any decisions. :rolleyes: :apple:

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I have had both.

The iPod touch's battery doesn't suck, it just doesn't last as long as the iPod classic's. It will also not last as long if you're playing games all the time or have a low Wi-Fi connection.

The iPod touch comes with a cleaning cloth and finger prints aren't hard to get rid of.

Running with an iPod touch would be better than an iPod classic since the touch is flash based and the classic has a HDD.

As far as I know I have never experience or heard of an iPod classic freezing or skipping.

WOW. The iTunes thing is really dumb. It's a good program. And yes, you have to use it to sync your iPod touch with music and apps. But, the same thing goes for the iPod classic. All iPods "live on iTunes." Remember though, you can put music on your iPod with multiple computers as long as the "manually manage music and videos" box is checked.

I believe the 32GB iPod touch is best suited for you.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
Before giving your opinion, please hear me out and tell me which you think would best suit me. [I put the main ideas in bold to help you out.]
This will be my first iPod, as I've (finally) saved up without splurging on something else first.

I'm liking both the 8GB Touch and the 120GB Classic.. Nano and Shuffle are completely ruled out.

The WiFi on the Touch sounds pretty great.. And since I'm one of those people who has to constantly check her email, it'd be wonderful. WiFi access isn't a problem either.

But I hear that the Touch doesn't have great battery life. Quite frankly, I'm not a patient person at all, so I wouldn't do well with it running out of juice fast. And if I DID get the Touch, the WiFi would probably be on a majority of the time.

This shouldn't be much of an issue. If I'm not running large games, I get several days out of my touch. The battery life is less than the Classic, but not horrible

There wouldn't be too many apps I'd put on the Touch. I'm a huge fan of Pandora, so that'd be a must-have app. I'd check my email. Maybe use Twitter or FriendFeed occasionally. And Facebook. That's about it. No games or mindless apps for me, please and thank you.

But I'm a clean freak when it comes to technology. The whole finger prints on the screen from touching it would get to me.

Then the touch is definitely going to bother you for this reason

The Classic has a massive amount of space. I'm all for that. Besides, I'm kind of in need of some sort of an external harddrive. ;) But 120GB? I don't think I'd be able to fill more than 20GB with my collection (not counting the songs I don't even listen to anymore).

I like the spinwheel. My brother has a nano, and I just love playing with the wheel.

Touching is just as much fun, methinks. :)

I will be running with my iPod. I'm a runner, so I'll probably need to purchase an armband of some sort. But would it be wise to be running with the Touch?

In terms of the device, it shouldn't make any difference. It uses flash memory, so movement isn't going to bother it (in fact, many apps utilise a lot of movement, some sudden). So you won't have any problem with the touch here.

One thing about the Classic that worries me is that I've heard it freezes up and skips a lot. Is this true?

Something that's got me a bit worried about the Touch is that I hear it pretty much lives on iTunes. My CD album collection is rather decent, and I've not installed iTunes on my laptop yet. I probably won't be purchasing much music via iTunes (because I have albums I've bought), but if I do, it'll probably be while I'm at my cousin's, rather than installing it when I won't be using it much. My other cousin says not to use iTunes too. She supposedly found an alternative (which I'm not sure is completely the best route. She uses WinAmp to manage her iPod).

iTunes is a cataloguing program. If you keep your music organised in say, a "music" folder, you can simply choose that folder as iTunes' directory and drop the files in, and they will stay as they are (as long as you're manually managing everything).

But what's really got a hold on me is the battery life. Videos, I won't be watching much. The screen will be off a majority of the time. It'll mostly be for audio, or in the case of the touch, WiFi.

You shouldn't have an issue with battery life with either product.

Which do you think would be best for me?

Sorry for posting a novel. :eek: I'm one of those people who analyzes every possible aspect before making any decisions. :rolleyes: :apple:

Notes in bold.

th0rn

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2008
my 2 cents, in case you're still undecided.

i have the ipod touch; it's my first ipod, so it's all i know about.

i'm hearing that there's a glare-reducing screen protector for the touch that also reduces the appearance of fingerprints. (mfr. = 'power support'? yep. already forgot. duh.)

some people really hate the glare-reduction -- i imagine it affects the pretty vibrance of the display. i am going to have to go with something like this myself, though, because the glare makes reading e-books on the train (commuter) an unpleasant and distracting challenge.

re. apps: there are lots of very useful free ones for the touch. i use ones that allows me to view recipes offline -- very handy for grocery shopping on the way home from work. i'm a knitter, and there's a groovy free stitch counter. lots of great stuff. i'm not ruling out the possibility of paying for some apps, too, but for now i'm still figuring out exactly how i use my little machine.

i'm coming from a dell axim handheld device to the ipod touch. believe me, battery life on the touch is about as good as it gets -- if you're just listening to music, it will play for ages as long as you have the screen turned off. (it is mainly a music player, after all.)

and itunes is a decent 'mothership' program. it makes sync'ing quite easy, and fast, once you've explored the user interface and made sure to tell it that you want it to sync everything. it sync's as you charge. (at least, my unit came only with the usb charger cable, so i charge/sync simultaneously.) it pretty much just works. (this must also be true of the classic.) you don't want to lose data, so a 'mothership' of some kind is simply necessary.

i've loaded 102 albums, have a bunch of apps, and a gazillion podcasts, and have used just over 1/3 of my 32gb of storage. plus, it stores all of my contacts and i love the calendar. that 'dings' at me to remind me of stuff (because i told it to - you can determine that on a per-appointment basis). plus, it has a clock that will let you put in clocks for a bunch of cities; same with weather. Some features need to be connected to be usable, but a lot of useful stuff remains cached and viewable offline.

you were very smart to save up for your thingy, rather than going into debt for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.