PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates proposes, as a method to stop spam, that emailers...

MacBytes
Mar 6, 2004, 12:34 AM
Link: Bill Gates proposes, as a method to stop spam, that emailers must purchase email "stamps" (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040306013412)

Posted on MacBytes.com

Stella
Mar 6, 2004, 12:44 AM
Of course, the cost of email "stamps" go toward microsoft, whether or not we use MS software...

... just like MS dodgy licensing fees - "pay us money whether or not you provide MS per PC"...

Bill Gates is nothing more than a criminal.

Extorontion.

Nermal
Mar 6, 2004, 12:55 AM
I haven't read the article, but I think a better way to stop spam would be to add spam filtering into Outlook Express. Once the most common email client blocks spam, spammers would find that their spams aren't working anymore and will hopefully stop sending them.

Well it makes sense to me anyway :)

nagromme
Mar 6, 2004, 01:11 AM
It's what it sounds like--and the article raises even more problems with it than the ones I already can think of! No WAY will people go for this even if it wasn't from Microsoft.

One interesting concept briefly mentioned: paying for future email usage not with money but with "inconvenience." Your computer must run 10 seconds of "nonsense math" in order to earn one email. If you email a lot, you'll need to buy computing power just to be able to keep sending. Like folding@home... for no purpose!

No thank you.

rotomas
Mar 6, 2004, 01:15 AM
Attn Bill Gates:

The internet doesn't belong to you.

HexMonkey
Mar 6, 2004, 01:33 AM
I haven't read the article, but I think a better way to stop spam would be to add spam filtering into Outlook Express. Once the most common email client blocks spam, spammers would find that their spams aren't working anymore and will hopefully stop sending them.

Well it makes sense to me anyway :)

Or it may just mean that spammers find other ways of annoying us, that would get passed the filters in other programs such as Mail. I think a similar thing is happening with popups. An increasing number of browsers can block them, and IE will be able to soon. Recently I've seen several ads that hover over the page, but aren't a window, and you have to close them to be able to read the page. I didn't used to see these, and IMO they is more annoying than popups. Eg http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=4508710&section=news (it seems that it doesn't always happen here- One appeared the first two times I went there but after that it stopped).

Sabenth
Mar 6, 2004, 01:39 AM
Will some one just ramm MS Down the bog cause there really pissing me off lattly.... And i do use there xp home ....:(

pEZ
Mar 6, 2004, 01:51 AM
Yeah, I just looked in my Sent Mail mailbox and I see that I've sent 84 messages in the last month. I'm going to guess that's actually on the low end, and I'll assume that on average I send 100 messages a month. This suddenly multiplies, and at 1 cent a message, I'm suddenly spending an additional 12 bucks a year for e-mail? Hell no. That's just plain robbery.

One of my pet peeves has always been people that ruin something for everybody else. To me, if there were a premium on e-mail, no matter the denomination, the spammers have won. We'd officially be conforming our lives and rules around the annoyance, rather than dealing with the annoyance right out. I'd much rather have more spam in my inbox than more money going out of my pocketbook, no matter how little it is.

irmongoose
Mar 6, 2004, 03:15 AM
HexMonkey: Use PithHelmet (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18158) to block in-page ads.

Bill Gates is an idiot. He's never really created anything in his life, always stole everything he's put his name on. And now, this is proof that the one idea he has come up with is stupid. Pay for email using computing time? What the ***** is THAT? Oh, so when I'm rendering video I have to quit the rendering so that Microsoft can hack into my computer and use my computer to calculate some nonsensical math equation just so I can write a ******** email? The world might have enough stupid people to suck in all the ********* you've brought to this world, Billy Boy, but this is one idea that's NOT going to work. Go screw your dog... or Ballmer, or something.

irmongoose

HexMonkey
Mar 6, 2004, 03:46 AM
HexMonkey: Use PithHelmet (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18158) to block in-page ads.

Thanks, it works well. However the purpose of my post was just to make a point. Whatever we do to try and stop these kinds of things, no matter how promising, ways will be found to get passed them. When things that block spam/ads etc are not commonly used, they work well, but when everyone starts using them, they become pretty much useless, as the spammers etc will start using different techniques.

Back on the topic of Microsoft's proposed method, how will this system differentiate between spammers and legitimate mailing lists?

irmongoose
Mar 6, 2004, 03:52 AM
Ahh, but there is still hope, as whatever spammers come up with, in the end, there will always be a way to block them.

Mailing lists, it seems, will be a thing of the past if this system will be put in place. No fan-club will be willing to spend thousands of dollars every week to tell their members what restaurant their hero was rumored to have eaten at during the weekend... :p

irmongoose

Bob Knob
Mar 6, 2004, 04:13 AM
I will agree to pay Bill $1 for every email I send if he agrees to pay me $1 for every virus filled email that gets sent to my mail server. I'd be a multimillionaire in no time!

Nermal
Mar 6, 2004, 04:17 AM
Mailing lists, it seems, will be a thing of the past if this system will be put in place. No fan-club will be willing to spend thousands of dollars every week to tell their members what restaurant their hero was rumored to have eaten at during the weekend... :p

And sites such as this one won't be able to send you an email when you get a private message, etc. :(

HexMonkey
Mar 6, 2004, 04:25 AM

This could actually be quite a big problem. Does anyone know what fraction of legitimate mail is sent in bulk? Apart from discussion groups, there are a large number of other uses for legitimate bulk email, including:
*New product/version mailing lists
*Password confirmation emails for various websites
*Things like MacRumors email notifications (as Nermal just said)

And if there is a system to exclude certain lists, spammers will find a way to take advantage of it.

Maybe Apple can find an innovative way to rid spam once and for all. ;)

MetallicPenguin
Mar 6, 2004, 07:55 AM
I think we should just politely tell them not to :)

....I wish

Paying money or devoting time to send an email is stupid, there has to be another workaround. How do people get spam anyway? I change my email address every once in a while, but now that I think of it, besides that one time when I agreed to the monkey banana ad on some page, I really haven't ever gotten any spam.

smorr
Mar 6, 2004, 09:07 AM
All it would take is a particularly nasty worm to hijack out email accounts and send out thousands of spam for the spammer to get free email and send us to the poor house. Spammers would start writing more worms to do their dirty work on our nickel instead of trying to figure out ways to circumvent filters. I don't like the direction that heads. (mind you because we're using macs, we wont be affected and the TOC of a windows machine will be multiplied a thousand fold thanks to fee based email+spamming worms. --- um... Go Bill Go!!!)

Chealion
Mar 6, 2004, 10:15 AM
Oh Hell No.

bennetsaysargh
Mar 6, 2004, 10:21 AM
no one will go for it. plus, there could be some free "illegal" network like all the P2P clients are today ;)

MetallicPenguin
Mar 6, 2004, 11:09 AM
no one will go for it. plus, there could be some free "illegal" network like all the P2P clients are today ;)

Most likely then there'll be some big thing going on like this and then...I don't know.

Anyway, I don't think Bill was saying we should pay for it, he was saying there should be a ten-second or so "puzzle" your computer has to figure to send the mail, and most spammers wouldn't want to take the time. I still don't think that is the answer

XnavxeMiyyep
Mar 6, 2004, 02:36 PM
Most likely then there'll be some big thing going on like this and then...I don't know.

Anyway, I don't think Bill was saying we should pay for it, he was saying there should be a ten-second or so "puzzle" your computer has to figure to send the mail, and most spammers wouldn't want to take the time. I still don't think that is the answer
I wouldn't want to take the time either. Like mentioned before, what if your computer is doing some other processor intensive task?

Bunzi2k4
Mar 6, 2004, 03:11 PM
This is dumb, I don't want to do e-mail if i have to pay or let some company use my processor . that is just plain stupid. but then again, if this "stamp" thing works, the only outcome would be someone making a new kind of instant messaging service, but it odly works like e-mail... that's how it is for everything. why pay for something if you can get it for free? and its legal, unlike downloading mp3's off of kazaa (yes, i know that some mp3's are legit).

iKenny
Mar 6, 2004, 10:12 PM
It's just because Bill's company has failed to create a spam-blocking tool anywhere near effective as some of the others. Consider Mail. I use it daily, and since I set it to automatic after just a week of training, 99% (literally) of my junk messages have gone to my junk folder and 100% of my desired messages have gone to my inbox. I'm not here to praise Mail, since we all know it's great ;), but I guess Bill has decided that since he can't come up with something as elegant as Mail, he should just charge everyone.

So what will we use instead of e-mail once it's killed by "e-mail stamps?" Oh that's right! Microsoft Messenger and its lousy video!

Bunzi2k4
Mar 6, 2004, 11:35 PM
I have a great idea!!! lets all get hotmail accounts, and sign up for every possible spam letters and have it sent to Microsoft!

:p :D

J-Squire
Mar 7, 2004, 05:10 AM
Anyone wondered why Bill suggested this as the form of payment for email? Maybe he wants to put the billions of emailers out there to work by getting them to solve one of the billions of errors in Longhorns code. If every person had to solve even one simple problem for each email they sent, it may be ready to ship by 2007 :D

keb
Mar 8, 2004, 02:38 PM
Only when I thought my loathing of microsnot couldn't get any worse.

Who in the heck does Bill Gates think he is? Maybe we should see if we can do a Martha Stewart on him and get him behind bars.

How come everything that is good that is free someone has to try to make me pay for it?