Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2002
I've just taken a gander at the quicktime 6 gallery at Apple, and I guess I should be impressed by the much faster downloading times, but I seem to be seeing many more compression artifacts, in the mpeg4 gallery and with the qt5 content such as the Switch Ads (Liza Richardson looks like she has worry lines now).

I suppose I could reboot into my backup qt5 and try to do a comparison, but I just wanted to see what everyone elses impression was. Maybe I am just looking with a more critical eye.

Am I seeing things?

Also, what isn't in qt6preview pro yet that I could do in qt5 pro?

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Divx files that have been doctored with the avi2mov util don't play properly. You need to then copy the sound over to the avi file, to watch the clip.

That's the only limitation i've been able to find so far, apart from the incompatibility with iMovie and FCP (which apple warns about in their QT6 FAQ).

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
If you need to convert .avi to .mov, use that Divx Doctor thing, or whatever, as long as you stay away from Avi2Mov, that hunk of !!!! software. Not even 20% of the time did it work under OS 9.

As for incompatibility with iMovie, that it why I got the beta version of QT6 before the Public Preview. iMovie works perfectly fine.

Fear the King.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.