PDA

View Full Version : A History of Apple's Operating Systems

MacBytes
Mar 6, 2004, 09:29 AM
Link: A History of Apple's Operating Systems (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040306102944)

Posted on MacBytes.com

wdlove
Mar 6, 2004, 11:30 AM
A very interesting historical review of Apple's OS! :cool:

nagromme
Mar 6, 2004, 05:55 PM
Cool article, very detailed.

Check out Mac System 1:
http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/oshistory/images/system1.gif

And then on your brand-new Panther system click here and launch Calculator:
file:///System%20Folder/Apple%20Menu%20Items

Some things never change!

Nermal
Mar 6, 2004, 06:08 PM
Never noticed that :)

But Rhapsody has got me interested, downloading as we speak ;)

HexMonkey
Mar 6, 2004, 06:37 PM
Cool article, very detailed.

Check out Mac System 1:

<SNIP>

And then on your brand-new Panther system click here and launch Calculator:
file:///System%20Folder/Apple%20Menu%20Items

Some things never change!

That is frightening. Admittedly the Mac OS X version is a giant leap, but it changed very little for too many years.

JamesDPS
Mar 6, 2004, 06:49 PM
Why would the calculator NEED to change? I think it's awesome that they kept it so similar for such a long time, it's like "look how awesome we are -- do it right, do it once". And if you needed more sophistication there were (are) obviously plenty of other calculator programs... obviously they had to update the look for X for the whole brushed metal / aqua look, which is too bad :)

(edit): good article, btw -- saw it on the macnn.com front page only a little earlier.

Nermal
Mar 6, 2004, 07:27 PM
I saw it on Slashdot yesterday, so I posted it here. I'm sure a lot of "switchers" are interested in the Mac OS' history.

Edit: And I might as well include a list of the versions I've used. These are ones that I've actually properly used for a reasonable period of time, not just ones I've had a quick look at.

6.0.7 (at school)
7.0.1 (at school, and on the vMac Mac emulator)
7.5.5 (upgraded from 7.0.1 on vMac once 7.5.5 became free)
7.6.1 (currently installed on my brother's old 68k Mac)
8.1 (I bought this for my emulator)
9.2.2 (came bundled with my iBook)
10.2 (came bundled with my iBook)
10.3 (came bundled with my Power Mac)

HexMonkey
Mar 6, 2004, 08:12 PM
I saw it on Slashdot yesterday, so I posted it here. I'm sure a lot of "switchers" are interested in the Mac OS' history.

I thought I posted it. :confused:
Great minds think alike I guess. ;)

Nermal
Mar 6, 2004, 08:40 PM
OK, so we both posted it :)

Out of interest, what title did you give it? Same as mine (straight from the article), or a different one?

And I wonder, if two people both post the same article, who gets credit for it? Both of us? Neither of us? Whoever got there first?

HexMonkey
Mar 6, 2004, 09:11 PM
OK, so we both posted it :)

Out of interest, what title did you give it? Same as mine (straight from the article), or a different one?

Yeah, I gave it the same title. I looked in Safari's history.plist file, and calculated that I posted it at about 10:20 pm last night (NZ time), or 3:20 am EST. I also posted the article above it, which was put up 1 minute later, if that's relevant.

And I wonder, if two people both post the same article, who gets credit for it? Both of us? Neither of us? Whoever got there first?

I'm guessing that it's the person who posted it first, that would make the most sense. On the topic of credit, how are the top submitters ranked? Is it total number of submissions, total number of accepted submissions, total number of accepted submissions in last x days/months etc or something else?

nemesis_256
Mar 6, 2004, 10:44 PM
Never noticed that :)

But Rhapsody has got me interested, downloading as we speak ;)

yeah that looks interestsing. But I'm not clear on what blue box and yellow box were. Can someone clarify? Why is there a screen shot of what looks like windows XP beside yellow box?

Nermal
Mar 6, 2004, 11:29 PM
yeah that looks interestsing. But I'm not clear on what blue box and yellow box were. Can someone clarify? Why is there a screen shot of what looks like windows XP beside yellow box?

I think Yellow Box is an early version of Xcode/Developer Tools, that can run on Windows. That's how I interpreted it anyway.

bousozoku
Mar 6, 2004, 11:42 PM

Blue box was the Mac OS 8.x environment and Yellow box was the OpenStep environment/framework now known as Cocoa.

nagromme
Mar 7, 2004, 01:23 AM
Blue Box = Classic
Yellow Box = Cocoa
Red Box = rumored Windows compatibility environment within X. Never happened.

noverflow
Mar 7, 2004, 11:53 AM
Blue Box = Classic
Yellow Box = Cocoa
Red Box = rumored Windows compatibility environment within X. Never happened.

I love that you can see that the founders of apple where Phreakers...
Red and Blue boxes... it cracks me up.

JediL1
Mar 7, 2004, 03:31 PM
Actually, according to Andy Hertzfeld, Steve Jobs himself designed the layout of the calculator that remained until Mac OS 9.

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Calculator_Construction_Set.txt&characters=Steve%20Jobs&sortOrder=Sort%20by%20Date&detail=medium