Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daviesified

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I currently have a late-2007 MacBook 2.2Ghz, and I am looking to upgrade to one of the new models, but i'm just not sure which model to go for. Is the difference in price between the high-end MacBook and low-end MacBook Pro justified? Screen size isn't of major importance to me, although I would prefer the 15", but it's like a 55/45 split between the 2.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

daviesified

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
It's for personal, rather than work use. I do frequently use iMovie though, and I am looking to take that further, which is why I am looking to upgrade. Would the additional graphical power of the MacBook Pro result in improved performance in this application?
At the moment I am leaning towards the MacBook Pro.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
It's for personal, rather than work use. I do frequently use iMovie though, and I am looking to take that further, which is why I am looking to upgrade. Would the additional graphical power of the MacBook Pro result in improved performance in this application?
At the moment I am leaning towards the MacBook Pro.

iMovie will see no improvement from the "graphical power" of the MacBook Pro.

daviesified

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
"iMovie will see no improvement from the "graphical power" of the MacBook Pro. "

Then what is the best way to improve performance on iMovie?

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I also have the same MacBook as the OP. I would upgrade myself to a MBP. Better LCD panel, bigger resolution, etc. Honestly, I would either buy the 2.0GHz MB lower end model or the lower end 15" MBP. the extra little boost from the CPU from 2.0 to 2.4 doesn't cut it. Neither does the backlit keyboard in terms of frugality. The 15" MBP has features that make me want to upgrade, but the 2.4GHz model MB does not, all except the $200 backlit keyboard.

daviesified

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I also have the same MacBook as the OP. I would upgrade myself to a MBP. Better LCD panel, bigger resolution, etc. Honestly, I would either buy the 2.0GHz MB lower end model or the lower end 15" MBP. the extra little boost from the CPU from 2.0 to 2.4 doesn't cut it. Neither does the backlit keyboard in terms of frugality. The 15" MBP has features that make me want to upgrade, but the 2.4GHz model MB does not, all except the $200 backlit keyboard.

Thanks for your input. The more i think about it, the more i'm leaning toward the MBP. I was hoping Apple would have made my decision a lot easier during Macworld, but unfortunately it didn't really affect me in anyway!

I'll let you know what decision I make tomorrow... Thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.