Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcusgee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Hi there! This is my first post to peripherals (I'm usually at the Apple TV Forums)--and I was wondering if anyone knows of a decent, dedicated photo scanner that's Mac compatible. Hammacher has one that is a good example of what I'm looking for (http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74597.asp), but their specs say that it requires Windoze XP or Vista.

Is there such a thing for the Mac? I'd like to avoid a flatbed scanner, not to mention creating a Windows partition just for my photo scanning project, if at all possible. Thanks!

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
This is not a direct answer to your question, but if you have the negatives for your photos, you would get better quality scans working from those rather than the prints. Many flatbed scanners have film holder accessories, and there are also dedicated film/slide scanners.

marcusgee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Unfortunately, these are old family photos for which I don't have negatives, so I have to scan the prints.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
Again, not exactly what you are asking for, but I have scanned all my old family photos in using a Canon flatbed scanner (LiDE 60). Their software has a "multi-scan" function that will scan multiple photos into separate files with one pass. Made my life so much easier! The scans are really good quality. If you decide to go this way, just be sure to get the updated drivers, etc. from the Canon site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.