PDA

View Full Version : Chipotle Mobile Ordering Comes to iPhone

MacRumors
Jan 12, 2009, 09:52 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/01/12/chipotle-mobile-ordering-comes-to-iphone/)

Burrito restaurant chain Chipotle (http://www.chipotle.com) has launched a new free iPhone application, Chipotle Mobile Ordering [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=300979408&mt=8)], which builds upon their online ordering system launched in December 2005 and revamped (http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=194775&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1218202) this past October. The application allows iPhone and iPod touch users to customize orders from Chipotle's full menu, pay for their food via credit card, and find directions to their nearest location. The app also allows users to save their orders as "Favorites" to simplify future orders.

Apple's interest in the iPhone as a platform for wireless ordering extends back to a patent application (http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220070291710%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20070291710&RS=DN/20070291710) filed by Apple in July 2006 and published in December 2007 (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/27/buying-to-go-items-with-your-iphone/). The first widely-publicized concept images of how an online ordering app might work were published at about the same time (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/01/10/starbucks-iphone-ordering-concept-design/) by designer Phil Lu, whose mockups of a Starbucks iPhone ordering app drew significant media attention. While a number of restaurants and third-party ordering systems have deployed web applications compatible with the iPhone and iPod touch, Chipotle Mobile Ordering appears to represent the first major release of a native application for this purpose deployed through the App Store.

Article Link: Chipotle Mobile Ordering Comes to iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/01/12/chipotle-mobile-ordering-comes-to-iphone/)

Avaj
Jan 12, 2009, 09:55 AM
I saw that

Pretty cool, hopefully more restaurants will follow suit

ArtOfWarfare
Jan 12, 2009, 10:10 AM
Now if only, you know, Chipotle's food was, you know, eatable? Seriously, they may be okay if you're in an area with absolutely no other mexican restaurants, but really, On the Border and Loco Coco's Tacos both blow them away.

... I'd love it is LCT offered something like this.

Slovig
Jan 12, 2009, 10:10 AM
I am going to abuse this. I work next to Chipotle, and there is always a line out the door. And I always order food, almost every night I work.

puckhead193
Jan 12, 2009, 10:17 AM
Now if only, you know, Chipotle's food was, you know, eatable? Seriously, they may be okay if you're in an area with absolutely no other mexican restaurants, but really, On the Border and Loco Coco's Tacos both blow them away.

granted its a fast food chain that is also owned by mc'donalds, i think the food is quite good. Granted its a not a real restaurant with waiters and waitresses...

plumbingandtech
Jan 12, 2009, 10:32 AM
Nice. Looking forward to more places using a system like this.

scotty588
Jan 12, 2009, 10:37 AM
Wirelessly posted (iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I love this place. Their food is a bit expensive though.

Applecababra
Jan 12, 2009, 10:37 AM
granted its a fast food chain that is also owned by mc'donalds, i think the food is quite good. Granted its a not a real restaurant with waiters and waitresses...

Chipotle isn't owned by McDonald's. They were once a majority owner of Chipotle shares however they sold 100% of their stake in 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipotle_Mexican_Grill

And since it's not a 'real' restaurant, I guess I've been eating my meals at a fake restaurant all this time. :)

tclary
Jan 12, 2009, 10:43 AM
I think I'm going to cry.

Koodauw
Jan 12, 2009, 10:48 AM
This is going to be a great feature. Hopefully more places will adopt this technology.

tobefirst
Jan 12, 2009, 10:55 AM
Hmmm...I'm a bit conflicted about applications like this.

One part of me sees tremendous potential. I like the ability to have "favorite" orders and to pay via the application.

The other part of me thinks about how often I go to any single restaurant (and I do eat out quite a bit) and whether downloading the app would be worth it. In fact, how many different applications from different restaurants would I need *just* to cover the ones I eat at regularly?

The best thing would be a single application endorsed by and containing a wide variety of restaurants with the ability to "favorite" and pay via the application. I might even pay for such an application if it were done well.

pcm128
Jan 12, 2009, 11:00 AM
This app = EPIC WIN. I'm going to use it every time from now on.

Jpoon
Jan 12, 2009, 11:01 AM
Oh my....

I can't wait until I move to Southern Cal this summer..... I'll abuse the heck out of that.

longofest
Jan 12, 2009, 11:04 AM
this is too good...

::shudders with delight at thought of steak burrito entering mouth after ordering via iPhone::

EDIT: hmm... their food is definitely better than their programming skills. This one needs more work.

rockstarjoe
Jan 12, 2009, 11:04 AM
Mmmm... food baby... <drool>

dashiel
Jan 12, 2009, 11:08 AM

on the border is garbage and about as authentic mexican as olive garden is authentic italian. it's literally a mexican chili's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinker_International) - not a good thing.

chipotle isn't and doesn't claim to be mexican, but they have far better base ingredients than on the border. for instance they only use thigh meat (tastiest part of the chicken) and sell the rest to panera bread. their beans are organically grown, most of their meats are also organic raised.

having said that though the sodium content in a chicken burrito is so absurdly high i won't eat there anymore (2411mg of sodium or 100% of your RDA is way over the top and that's without sour creme or guac). of course anything from brinker's (chili's, on the border, et. al.) is a death wish on a plate too. brinker hasn't met a food substance they don't think can be made better with a shaker's worth of salt.

MacTraveller
Jan 12, 2009, 11:27 AM
Chipotle's is good eatin.

dgouldin
Jan 12, 2009, 11:32 AM
Have you guys actually tried to *use* the app? It's a horrible user experience. A cheap web shim with UI problems and bugs galore. I'm not even really sure why it's an app since they make you type in a zip code to choose a store to order from.

kingtj
Jan 12, 2009, 11:35 AM
A new Chipotle opened up near my house, just a few months ago. I'll probably grab this app, in case I find the occasion to use it. I've only eaten there twice though, and I agree that they're really a little too expensive.

One of my buddies works for a place that installs and maintains those touch-screen cash register systems for restaurants, and we were recently talking about all the potential for linking those up with iPhone ordering support. (The big chains like Starbucks or Chipotle might be able to afford to hire developers to build apps like this just for them. But the "mom and pop" restaurants, diners, and bars that serve food aren't likely to do this unless it's pre-packaged as a feature built into their point-of-sale system.)

Rest assured, these things are being worked on, so this is the "tip of the iceberg", really.

Wirelessly posted (iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I love this place. Their food is a bit expensive though.

North Bronson
Jan 12, 2009, 11:45 AM
Please, people, find yourself some Mexicans and eat yourself some real Mexican food.

Restaurants that charge for chips are just wrong on so many levels.

bigmc6000
Jan 12, 2009, 11:47 AM
on the border is garbage and about as authentic mexican as olive garden is authentic italian. it's literally a mexican chili's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinker_International) - not a good thing.

chipotle isn't and doesn't claim to be mexican, but they have far better base ingredients than on the border. for instance they only use thigh meat (tastiest part of the chicken) and sell the rest to panera bread. their beans are organically grown, most of their meats are also organic raised.

having said that though the sodium content in a chicken burrito is so absurdly high i won't eat there anymore (2411mg of sodium or 100% of your RDA is way over the top and that's without sour creme or guac). of course anything from brinker's (chili's, on the border, et. al.) is a death wish on a plate too. brinker hasn't met a food substance they don't think can be made better with a shaker's worth of salt.

I've started going w/ the bowl because of the extra sodium from the tortilla - it's just as good if not better so if you're craving one you might go that route. Of course I get extra rice w/ no beans so I'm fairly certain that blows the sodium content out of the water but, ooo, it's soo good.

As for another comment about it being a good place if there's no other mexican I live in freakin' Texas and Chipotle is still very good. You're right about On The Boarder, it's nothing but a chain and not even a very good one at that. There's also Free Birds burittos down here but Chipotle beats them hands down - FreeBirds rice is awful and their steak is dry.

Anyway - the user experience is kinda blah since you seem to have to enter your e-mail and password everytime you fire it up and you can't just click on a restaurant and hit order, you have to enter a zip. Now, it will tell you what's closest and will link you to the google maps app but having to enter a zip to be able to order is kinda lame. The having to enter user info everytime is much more annoying however.

jackiecanev2
Jan 12, 2009, 11:51 AM
Once they get the bugs worked out, I foresee a lot of Chipotle in my future....

Tastic Bycrom
Jan 12, 2009, 12:14 PM
Are we seriously almost starting a flamewar about the quality of the food, when the article is about the ability to order it?

C'mon people, on topic. I would like to say why bother. I eat a Chipotle regularly and don't spend time trying to think of a more convenient way to order it. They're already pretty fast. However, I have also tried to eat a Chipotle in Las Vegas and waited for far too long just due the amount of customers in line. Is the the true purpose of this?

Applecababra
Jan 12, 2009, 12:58 PM
Please, people, find yourself some Mexicans and eat yourself some real Mexican food.

Easy to say for someone who lives in Los Santos, California. Although not as easy when you live in nowheresville, Minnesota.

rickdollar
Jan 12, 2009, 01:05 PM
Have you guys actually tried to *use* the app? It's a horrible user experience. A cheap web shim with UI problems and bugs galore. I'm not even really sure why it's an app since they make you type in a zip code to choose a store to order from.

I tried using it the day it came out and I couldn't believe how F'd up it is to use. I gave up. It takes longer to order a burrito than it does to fill out a mortgage application.
I like the restaurant but I think the cooks should stick to cooking and contract out for a real developer.

dvkid
Jan 12, 2009, 01:07 PM
Are we seriously almost starting a flamewar about the quality of the food, when the article is about the ability to order it?

C'mon people, on topic. I would like to say why bother. I eat a Chipotle regularly and don't spend time trying to think of a more convenient way to order it. They're already pretty fast. However, I have also tried to eat a Chipotle in Las Vegas and waited for far too long just due the amount of customers in line. Is the the true purpose of this?

I live in Vegas and some of the Chipotle locations here can be pretty atrocious. The one near UNLV is the most inconvenient, and where I'd probably use this app most frequently. I think its intended use is for people who have a lunch break that doesn't let them stand in line for 15 minutes just to order. I'll definitely be giving this a shot tomorrow on campus.

bytethese
Jan 12, 2009, 01:07 PM
I just downloaded. Totally going to try this tomorrow for lunch. :)

Moonlight
Jan 12, 2009, 01:08 PM
Am I doing something wrong ? My iPhone did not taste like a burrito after I used the Chipotle app... But now my stomach hurts :(

bassproguy07
Jan 12, 2009, 01:15 PM
yah this app blows big time....i tried to order and it just stopped working and went to the home screen, no confirmation of order or anything...I odnt want to keep ordering and mess up someones day but i am not about to make the drive and stand in line so if it works then oh well chipotle made a burrito for someone who is not going to show. I wish you could also charge your phone to pay for your lunch...i'd use it a little more seeing how the parents pay the bill without looking haha!!

bsgamble
Jan 12, 2009, 01:19 PM
This seems like a cool concept but I find the app really buggy. After it downloaded, it kept saying "this application requires internet access" until I restarted it a few times. When the app finally asked to use my location info, I could see the local stores, but it then took more restarts to get to the ordering screen, and then it seems slow.

I'm a once-a-week Chipotle guy, and I would use it every time, but they need to work a few of the bugs out....of the software...the food is fine!

dvkid
Jan 12, 2009, 01:19 PM
The registration process via the iPhone is definitely buggy. I suggest that if you download the app, register right away as opposed to when you're ready to order.

And this app definitely needs some attention...

grant6923
Jan 12, 2009, 01:27 PM
can anyone download this app? I just tried from iTunes, and also my iPhone and it now states "The item you tried to buy is no longer available"...

TimTheEnchanter
Jan 12, 2009, 01:27 PM
Just tried to download and says app isn't available in US store? Directly from iPhone says app not available. Did it just get pulled?

bassproguy07
Jan 12, 2009, 01:30 PM
wow I must have downloaded just in time haha....doesnt surprise me though, the app is crap!

Hamstring
Jan 12, 2009, 01:41 PM
Sounds like its less convenient than you know going to the store and ordering it? Why bother? Why the hell do I want t order dominoe's via Tivo?

SFStateStudent
Jan 12, 2009, 01:46 PM
Just tried it a few minutes ago, and apparently they've disabled the app...:mad:

lazyrighteye
Jan 12, 2009, 01:51 PM
can anyone download this app? I just tried from iTunes, and also my iPhone and it now states "The item you tried to buy is no longer available"...

I'm getting the same message.
maybe they pulled it if the process was as buggy as some are reporting?

SFStateStudent
Jan 12, 2009, 01:56 PM
What's up with this app? I'm right across the street from Chipotle's on Telegraph in Berkeley, CA, and I'm starvin'. Forget it, I'm walking across the street...:(

TimTheEnchanter
Jan 12, 2009, 01:57 PM
Just tried it a few minutes ago, and apparently they've disabled the app...:mad:

Well, what the hell am I going to do about lunch now? I'm hungry dambit! :D

bassproguy07
Jan 12, 2009, 01:59 PM
^^lol

P.S. did you intentionally misspell damn or was it a typo haha

lazyrighteye
Jan 12, 2009, 02:00 PM
A store I think this concept could really be a big hit is Home Depot.
As the owner of a 100 year old house, Home Depot is a pretty regular thing on my radar. Unfortunately.
That said, it is one of my least favorite places to shop. Mainly, because the shopping experience is so difficult. What should be a 15-minute errand is no less than an hour. The Way Finding (signage) and overall organization seems less than desirable. And asking for help is not an option. Just try finding an employee in a Home Depot...

But what if I could walk in to a Home Depot with my GPS-enabled iPhone, launch their app, type in what I needed, and a store map leads me to the isle or item?
Now that would be something.

dc73pd
Jan 12, 2009, 02:05 PM
the site to download the app doesnt work! I cant get it for my phone....

synth3tik
Jan 12, 2009, 02:07 PM
OMG we're all FAT!:eek:

bassproguy07
Jan 12, 2009, 02:09 PM
A store I think this concept could really be a big hit is Home Depot.
As the owner of a 100 year old house, Home Depot is a pretty regular thing on my radar. Unfortunately.
That said, it is one of my least favorite places to shop. Mainly, because the shopping experience is so difficult. What should be a 15-minute errand is no less than an hour. The Way Finding (signage) and overall organization seems less than desirable. And asking for help is not an option. Just try finding an employee in a Home Depot...

But what if I could walk in to a Home Depot with my GPS-enabled iPhone, launch their app, type in what I needed, and a store map leads me to the isle or item?
Now that would be something.

I know what you mean about home depot and I would definitely pay for this app for even one trip to the depot. I hate how you go to one store, and something is in one spot and the store just down the road everything is different. You would think companies would make things the same, like wal-mart has!

liquidtrend
Jan 12, 2009, 02:13 PM
I know what you mean about home depot and I would definitely pay for this app for even one trip to the depot. I hate how you go to one store, and something is in one spot and the store just down the road everything is different. You would think companies would make things the same, like wal-mart has!

agreed. this application format has endless possibilities. it can fit into every retail aspect.

i really hope this can start catching on!

mags631
Jan 12, 2009, 02:18 PM
Now I have a convenient way to order and ingest excessive quantities of salt (albeit in a tasty package).

guzhogi
Jan 12, 2009, 02:18 PM
Sounds cool. Sad to read it was buggy & got pulled. Hope it gets fixed and reposted.

This would sound like a great thing to order lunch for your office with! I work at an elementary school and I'd think it would be cool to get everyone's order (along w/ the money they owe, of course) and by the time I get there (about a 15-20 minute drive), they should be ready to get and drive back.

As for what it tastes like, I like it. Okay, so it's not authentic Mexican food. So what? It still tastes good! My only problem with it (other than it being horrible for my health) is the size of the burritos. They're so big!

dvkid
Jan 12, 2009, 02:37 PM

You think Wal-Mart is well organized? I've actually been there at night when they're purposely moving stuff around to confuse consumers. I was only in a Wal-Mart store twice last year, and it was too many times for me.

maknik
Jan 12, 2009, 02:41 PM
Is there a button for "could you add a little more of the corn salsa on that" or "could you put a little beans in my steak fajita burrito"? They'll usually do it if you ask, and for me customizing it just right is the difference between a very tasty burrito, and something quite bland. That, and the exorbitant guacamole, alas.

No need for the app anyway, though. The Chipotle on St. Marks in NYC is almost alway deserted during non-lunchtime hours. And I definitely can't afford $10 or 900 calories for lunch.

Dmac77
Jan 12, 2009, 02:45 PM
I've started going w/ the bowl because of the extra sodium from the tortilla - it's just as good if not better so if you're craving one you might go that route. Of course I get extra rice w/ no beans so I'm fairly certain that blows the sodium content out of the water but, ooo, it's soo good.

As for another comment about it being a good place if there's no other mexican I live in freakin' Texas and Chipotle is still very good. You're right about On The Boarder, it's nothing but a chain and not even a very good one at that. There's also Free Birds burittos down here but Chipotle beats them hands down - FreeBirds rice is awful and their steak is dry.

Anyway - the user experience is kinda blah since you seem to have to enter your e-mail and password everytime you fire it up and you can't just click on a restaurant and hit order, you have to enter a zip. Now, it will tell you what's closest and will link you to the google maps app but having to enter a zip to be able to order is kinda lame. The having to enter user info everytime is much more annoying however.

The best Mexican food that I've ever had, is from a little Mexican Café in downtown Ann Arbor called, Tio's. After eating there, I have to myself to eat at a restaurant like Chipotle of Chili's. The only beef I have with Tio's is the price ($37 for 2 people, and they charge $2 for a scoop of guac). But anyways, that's off topic.

I tired this app, and it sucks. Having to put in my zip each time is a PITA, as is having to put user info each time. The app also crashed on me a few times. Chipotle is going to have to make this app usable before I would even consider using, the next time I'm forced to eat a Chipotle.

Don

nagromme
Jan 12, 2009, 03:05 PM
On the plus side, they treat vegetarians well: we get all the extras (guacamole, plus beans AND peppers instead of choosing) at no charge.

On the downside, their web orders seem to generate needless paper: as near as I can tell they don't have a screen at the counter, they grab a printout. I assume iPhone orders work the same way.

I'd be tempted if I ate there a whole lot when the lines were punishing (do they tell you you cut to the front of the line?) but otherwise not worth the space on my screen.

I do like the concept of pre-paying though--it would be cool for some service to emerge with a single app that lots of restaurants (including the local places I prefer to support) could join in on.

P.S., I calculate that 31 iPhones would fit into a Chipotle burrito.

TimTheEnchanter
Jan 12, 2009, 03:13 PM
^^lol

P.S. did you intentionally misspell damn or was it a typo haha

"I'm Gumby dambit!" Old Eddie Murphy skit on SNL. :)

p.s. I suffered through lunch without this app, but I don't know if I can hold out all week.

ALoLA
Jan 12, 2009, 03:16 PM
Am I doing something wrong ? My iPhone did not taste like a burrito after I used the Chipotle app... But now my stomach hurts :(

I guess I owe Dr. Gupta an apology. There was a video of him on CNN (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2007/11/09/gupta.toxic.iphones.cnn) reporting that the iPhone contained toxic chemicals that could be harmful if ingested. I guess it could happen. :p I heard he's on the list for Surgeon General. :rolleyes:

Tastic Bycrom
Jan 12, 2009, 03:20 PM
On the plus side, they treat vegetarians well

Yes, they do :D

kupua
Jan 12, 2009, 03:44 PM
They must have heard you all... the app has been removed...

Dmac77
Jan 12, 2009, 03:46 PM
They must have heard you all... the app has been removed...

My God, they must have just heard about this great thing called Location Based Services.

Don

juice831
Jan 12, 2009, 03:46 PM
no way!!

- just when I went to download it...

TimTheEnchanter
Jan 12, 2009, 04:13 PM
I think this app should be bundled with iFart, that way you can just blame it on the phone. :rolleyes:

BillTyler
Jan 12, 2009, 04:38 PM
no way!!

- just when I went to download it...

Its just telling me that its not available in this country? Anyone else?

lazyrighteye
Jan 12, 2009, 04:56 PM
Sad to read it was buggy & got pulled.

And how is that?
Can't Devs test their work before posting?
Seems odd.
But I'm no Dev, so maybe that's how the cookie crumbles.

?

Lightmensendme
Jan 12, 2009, 07:14 PM
I'm not sure what everyone is talking about with all of their problems but I love Chipotle and used the app today to get lunch. All I had to do was download the app, make an account, place my order and walk right in to pick up my delicious food. The ingredients they use is far much better than any decent food chain out there. Don't hate people. You get what you pay for and I think in this case you get a lot more than you pay for.

EDIT:Oh... and I even got a call after I picked up my order today from I believe the manager who asked if everything was warm and fresh enough. Now if thats not dedication to great service then let me know what is.

happydude
Jan 12, 2009, 07:24 PM
Its just telling me that its not available in this country? Anyone else?

yeah, same. what gives?

dvkid
Jan 12, 2009, 07:29 PM
I'm not sure what everyone is talking about with all of their problems but I love Chipotle and used the app today to get lunch. All I had to do was download the app, make an account, place my order and walk right in to pick up my delicious food. The ingredients they use is far much better than any decent food chain out there. Don't hate people. You get what you pay for and I think in this case you get a lot more than you pay for.

EDIT:Oh... and I even got a call after I picked up my order today from I believe the manager who asked if everything was warm and fresh enough. Now if thats not dedication to great service then let me know what is.

So even though the app has been pulled, it still works for ordering? I guess I'll give it a try tomorrow.

spacecadet610
Jan 12, 2009, 07:39 PM
Another great use of the iPhone. I like Chipotle so will try to use this.

Cabbit
Jan 12, 2009, 08:11 PM
all i can say is.... Sad

Lightmensendme
Jan 12, 2009, 08:16 PM
So even though the app has been pulled, it still works for ordering? I guess I'll give it a try tomorrow.

I may have ordered before it was pulled but I did not have a problem using it when I did this morning. The only thing that I noticed is that the app shows the the last order and any order that you name as a favorite. Well when I just checked the app, both my last order and favorites were lost which may have been part of why it was pulled however everything worked fine this morning and they charged me correctly.

Lightmensendme
Jan 12, 2009, 08:18 PM
Let me just make this clear... I'm glad that not everyone likes the iPhone because I'd be pissed if everyone was using their iPhone apps to cut lines.

ejrizo
Jan 12, 2009, 08:28 PM
we need an app made for Pizza Hut... that would be awsome

macthegoalie31
Jan 12, 2009, 08:34 PM
Please. My Fiance is Mexican and he loves Chipotle. As does his family. So what if it's not "real" Mexican food, it's damn good. Rice doesn't always have to be orange. Sheesh.

Philberttheduck
Jan 13, 2009, 02:38 AM
damn this reminds me how long its been since i had chipotle.. im still surprised this chain is owned by mcdonalds.. haha (i don care if someone's already mentioned in this thread or not). rambling.. but when did chipotle get so expensive? 6.25 for a burrito now?? btw steak fajita burrito is the ****!!

wireless
Jan 13, 2009, 08:06 AM
Nice. Looking forward to more places using a system like this.

I'm not very political, what do you mean by your signature file? :confused:

carrjar
Jan 13, 2009, 08:37 AM
My two favorite things in this world are my iPhone and Chipotle. I did backflips when I saw it in the App Store. I got a stomach ache when I tried to use it. I can't imagine them not requiring payment before order is completed. Do you realize how many "fake orders" would be placed? Also, a confirmation #. You show up...go to the cashier, give them your confirmation #, and walk out with a burrito. I applaud Chipotle for embracing the App store, but can't understand how unprepared they were. If it works...it's going on my home screen.:)

MattG
Jan 13, 2009, 08:59 AM

Chipotle's isn't 'Mexican'. It's 'Tex-Mex' which is an Americanized thing, which is anything but 'Mexican'.

That being said, it's really good...just not 'Mexican'.

Now if only they had one down here where I live.

penguy
Jan 13, 2009, 09:42 AM
this is one app that you would have to think was never tested after the code was written. but it has potential! at least, I hope it does

sneakyob
Jan 13, 2009, 09:46 AM
we need an app made for Pizza Hut... that would be awsome

I agree! I always wonder why the Pizza chains have not jumped all over this! I noticed that Papa Johns has a special iphone screen, but it is just on the browser when you go to their site.

penguy
Jan 13, 2009, 11:19 AM
the issue was picked up on the Motley Fool at http://www.fool.com/investing/high-growth/2009/01/13/chipotles-iphone-indigestion.aspx where the article quotes MacRumors and a users comment "I did backflips when I saw it in the App Store. I got a stomach ache when I tried to use it."

rjlawrencejr
Jan 13, 2009, 01:08 PM

Where on earth is Los Santos? Never heard of it.

strider092
Jan 13, 2009, 01:27 PM
I saw that

Pretty cool, hopefully more restaurants will follow suit

DineBlast Mobile
http://www.softtouchpos.com/DineBlast/index.html

Consultant
Jan 13, 2009, 01:55 PM

You are not doing it right! You gotta try to do a backflip first!
=p

Let me just make this clear... I'm glad that not everyone likes the iPhone because I'd be pissed if everyone was using their iPhone apps to cut lines.

Actually, in many stores you can FAX your orders in or order online. OMG people are using the internet to cut lines, perhaps you should boycott it?

the issue was picked up on the Motley Fool at http://www.fool.com/investing/high-growth/2009/01/13/chipotles-iphone-indigestion.aspx where the article quotes MacRumors and a users comment "I did backflips when I saw it in the App Store. I got a stomach ache when I tried to use it."

Cool

happydude
Jan 13, 2009, 02:25 PM
why can't i find this app yet? anyone have a link that works?

and, where is MacRumors's app?! something that would read like an RSS reader with latest rumors and the ability to post replies from within the app itself. that would be awesome!!

EDIT: just saw the update about it being taken down. hopefully it'll be back up soon.

Ibjr
Jan 13, 2009, 11:30 PM

As someone who has lived in Mexico City, i cringe when I read this self satified post. We don't eat at Chipotle because we believe it is Mexican, we eat there because it tastes good.

You aren't superior. When I do eat at places that serve real Mexican food, trust me, I don't order a burrito.

Shasterball
Jan 14, 2009, 08:18 AM
Hilarious. I thought there was going to be a Starbucks one?

bytethese
Jan 14, 2009, 08:43 AM
As someone who has lived in Mexico City, i cringe when I read this self satified post. We don't eat at Chipotle because we believe it is Mexican, we eat there because it tastes good.

You aren't superior. When I do eat at places that serve real Mexican food, trust me, I don't order a burrito.

lol, great points. That's like someone thinking that Chinese food here is actual Chinese food, or that pizza here is like pizza in Italy. :)

Maxington
Jan 14, 2009, 11:51 AM
Now only if they could deliver this to my workplace. Nearest Chipotle is 20 min north of here...

Asher22
Jan 14, 2009, 01:23 PM
The best thing would be a single application endorsed by and containing a wide variety of restaurants with the ability to "favorite" and pay via the application. I might even pay for such an application if it were done well.

Here is the solution.

DineBlast Mobile works with virtually any Wi-Fi SmartPhone and does not require an app download. Participating restaurants have a Wi-Fi network called “DineBlast Mobile” and you use your browser to access the ordering screens. Don’t worry iPhone users, we designed a special Safari UI just for you.

The major advantage of DineBlast Mobile is that it works across any number of restaurants and is not specific to a restaurant brand. Your order history is saved and can be “faved”. Dineblast Mobile offers 1-Touch reordering, so you never have to reenter your payment info.

Once you create an account, your device will be automatically recognized at all participating restaurants, even if you’ve never visited that restaurant before. You can even have multiple devices tied to a single account.

DineBlast Mobile works for quick-service, fast food, table-service restaurants and stadium venues (in seat service).

We also have a “curbside” mode that let’s you order without leaving your car.

For table-service restaurants, you can order right from the table before your server ever gets there to greet you. If you’re in a hurry to leave, you can pay the guest check right from your device (even if you didn’t order from it). We also have a check sharing feature that works great for large parties where one person is picking up the tab, but everyone wants to use their own device for ordering.

Please encourage your favorite restaurant to implement DineBlast Mobile!

There are many more cool features…here’s a demo:

http://www.reuters.com/article.....BW20081216

North Bronson
Jan 14, 2009, 02:46 PM

Haha. Good Point! :o

My biggest problem is restaurants that charge for chips. It just doesn't strike me as very hospitable, it just strikes me as a very cheap, undignified, MBA-like approach to serving food. The yuppie-ness of Chipotle I can forgive. I eat at some pretty yuppie-fied places all the time!

Be.Jammmin
Jan 14, 2009, 02:53 PM
Here is the solution.

DineBlast Mobile works with virtually any Wi-Fi SmartPhone and does not require an app download. Participating restaurants have a Wi-Fi network called “DineBlast Mobile” and you use your browser to access the ordering screens. Don’t worry iPhone users, we designed a special Safari UI just for you.

The major advantage of DineBlast Mobile is that it works across any number of restaurants and is not specific to a restaurant brand. Your order history is saved and can be “faved”. Dineblast Mobile offers 1-Touch reordering, so you never have to reenter your payment info.

Once you create an account, your device will be automatically recognized at all participating restaurants, even if you’ve never visited that restaurant before. You can even have multiple devices tied to a single account.

DineBlast Mobile works for quick-service, fast food, table-service restaurants and stadium venues (in seat service).

We also have a “curbside” mode that let’s you order without leaving your car.

For table-service restaurants, you can order right from the table before your server ever gets there to greet you. If you’re in a hurry to leave, you can pay the guest check right from your device (even if you didn’t order from it). We also have a check sharing feature that works great for large parties where one person is picking up the tab, but everyone wants to use their own device for ordering.

Please encourage your favorite restaurant to implement DineBlast Mobile!

There are many more cool features…here’s a demo:

http://www.reuters.com/article.....BW20081216

Is this DineBlast mobile available now? The links you provided are not clear.

Thanks,
B

synth3tik
Jan 14, 2009, 02:57 PM
lol, great points. That's like someone thinking that Chinese food here is actual Chinese food, or that pizza here is like pizza in Italy. :)

ha, yeah. Try ordering Chicken Chow Main in Shanghai.:D

Applepi
Jan 14, 2009, 04:52 PM
I really hope this is the direction the iPhone is heading in. Being able to order food like this from any restaurant or coffee from your favorite shop would be a godsend in my eyes.

nagromme
Jan 14, 2009, 11:36 PM
Please fix the bugs in this app soon! :o

I ordered a vegetarian fajita with corn salsa and no rice. What I got had DOUBLE rice, maple syrup, and a human leg! :mad:

princearn3
Jan 15, 2009, 01:55 AM
While i sync my ipod touch my ipod just disconnects off itunes, but when i am just chargin it nothing happens?
when i sync my ipod touch only about 15 to 20 songs sync then it dissapears from itunes & ejects itself, then reconnects itself back onto usb again. if i leave the ipod alone & try not to sync while it is connected to usb, nothing happens, it happily charges.
why is it when i try sync it only syncs a few songs then ejects itself from itunes as well as usb then reconnects itself, but when i am charging nothing happens?? why cant the ipod just sync my whole library without any issues? i just want to enjoy my ipod for crying out loud desperate help is needed, please, please, please somebody help me?? i am extremely desperate please ='(

nagromme
Jan 15, 2009, 02:56 AM
While i sync my ipod touch my ipod just disconnects off itunes, but when i am just chargin it nothing happens?
when i sync my ipod touch only about 15 to 20 songs sync then it dissapears from itunes & ejects itself, then reconnects itself back onto usb again. if i leave the ipod alone & try not to sync while it is connected to usb, nothing happens, it happily charges.
why is it when i try sync it only syncs a few songs then ejects itself from itunes as well as usb then reconnects itself, but when i am charging nothing happens?? why cant the ipod just sync my whole library without any issues? i just want to enjoy my ipod for crying out loud desperate help is needed, please, please, please somebody help me?? i am extremely desperate please ='(

I'd call Apple. You may have a bad iPod in need of replacement, a bad cable, a bad USB port on your computer, or you may simply need to reset your iPod to the factory state (easily done through iTunes) and start over. Also try posting in the iPod forums here.

micsaund
Jan 15, 2009, 08:06 AM
An app like this would be handy if it accelerated me through the horrid lines they have during lunch. Chipotle (and Qdoba) aren't great Mexican food, but they make ideal grab-and-go lunches. The problem is that if you go anytime near lunch-hour in my area, you wait in line for 30 minutes! An app that would have my burrito waiting for me at the register would help with that, although I suppose eventually the line at the register would just grow as well.

Mike

KRAPPS
Jan 15, 2009, 02:10 PM
Hilarious. I thought there was going to be a Starbucks one?

AGREED! I am still floored that there is know Strabucks app ... sure there are third-party apps, but a full out locator and ordering app from Starbucks would seem to be a no-brainer.

Also Flickr ... only third-party apps ... geez!

Ibjr
Jan 15, 2009, 06:51 PM
Haha. Good Point! :o

My biggest problem is restaurants that charge for chips. It just doesn't strike me as very hospitable, it just strikes me as a very cheap, undignified, MBA-like approach to serving food. The yuppie-ness of Chipotle I can forgive. I eat at some pretty yuppie-fied places all the time!

I'm very happy that they don't give Americans free chips when the burritos alone already far too many calories.

DnvrPete
Jan 17, 2009, 12:12 PM

incorrect. Chipotle Mexican Grill (NYSE: CMG) is a chain of restaurants specializing in San Francisco burritos and tacos. Founded by Steve Ells in 1993 and based in Denver, Colorado, the restaurant is known for its chunky guacamole, large burritos, and assembly line production. Chipotle is one of the first successful chains in the relatively new category of fast-casual dining establishments. In the past, McDonald's Corporation owned a majority interest in Chipotle. McDonald's has since sold their entire stake in Chipotle; full divestment was completed in October 2006.

fleshman03
Jan 17, 2009, 02:09 PM
incorrect. Chipotle Mexican Grill (NYSE: CMG) is a chain of restaurants specializing in San Francisco burritos and tacos. Founded by Steve Ells in 1993 and based in Denver, Colorado, the restaurant is known for its chunky guacamole, large burritos, and assembly line production. Chipotle is one of the first successful chains in the relatively new category of fast-casual dining establishments. In the past, McDonald's Corporation owned a majority interest in Chipotle. McDonald's has since sold their entire stake in Chipotle; full divestment was completed in October 2006.

Wow. Do you just rip other sources off like that? Try at least linking back to the original. It's from Wikipedia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipotle_Mexican_Grill)

pomus
Jan 18, 2009, 04:02 PM

Exactly!
As a matter of fact, Nachos and Burritos aren't even "real" Mexican food, since they were created here in the states.

dontwalkhand
Jan 18, 2009, 04:42 PM
Great, another useless app to clutter the app store with. This time to, you might as well say, advertise for a fake-Mexican food chain.

fleshman03
Jan 18, 2009, 05:42 PM
Exactly!
As a matter of fact, Nachos and Burritos aren't even "real" Mexican food, since they were created here in the states.

Pizza isn't Italian either. It was created by Italian immigrants. They chose tomatoes, cheese and bread because it was the cheapest thing around at the time.

Asher22
Jan 19, 2009, 02:18 PM
Is this DineBlast mobile available now? The links you provided are not clear.

Thanks,
B

Be.Jammmin,
Sorry for the unavailable link, the links below should work.
DineBlast Mobile is currently operating in Froots Smoothies (www.froots.com), a national chain offering healthy alternatives to traditional fast food fare.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/081216/20081216005293.html?.v=1

:)
Asher

GoCubsGo
Jan 19, 2009, 02:21 PM
I tried using it the day it came out and I couldn't believe how F'd up it is to use. I gave up. It takes longer to order a burrito than it does to fill out a mortgage application.
I like the restaurant but I think the cooks should stick to cooking and contract out for a real developer.

I really LOL'ed at this. I'm going to have to download it and see what happens. I'd prefer for it to take less time to order than it does to drive there. Next step ... I wish they delivered.

benzslrpee
Jan 19, 2009, 02:35 PM
wrong. search for "margherita pizza".

Pizza isn't Italian either. It was created by Italian immigrants. They chose tomatoes, cheese and bread because it was the cheapest thing around at the time.

joejoejoe
Jan 19, 2009, 02:52 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fleshman03
Jan 19, 2009, 11:02 PM
wrong. search for "margherita pizza".

ha - your right. Nice catch. I should have known better to post pop-facts. Thanks.

WPeterson
Jan 20, 2009, 02:55 AM
cool way to remind me m-business for years.
how about the efficiency?

agentuu7
Jan 21, 2009, 01:31 PM
I was extremely bummed that I missed out on my chance to download the app. :( I don't think I can wait the couple weeks or so for the new one. So I was wondering if anyone might be interested in emailing me their copy to try out on my Jailbroken iPhone.

Seeing as this was a free app to begin with, I don't think anyone should have any ethical problems sharing the file. Right? :)

Thanks!

agentuu7@mail.com

zdobson
Jan 21, 2009, 08:00 PM
Thank God! Those two minutes waiting in line for my burrito were really getting in the way of my hostile takeovers. :D

danny_w
Jan 22, 2009, 09:04 PM
I was extremely bummed that I missed out on my chance to download the app. :( I don't think I can wait the couple weeks or so for the new one. So I was wondering if anyone might be interested in emailing me their copy to try out on my Jailbroken iPhone.

Seeing as this was a free app to begin with, I don't think anyone should have any ethical problems sharing the file. Right? :)

Thanks!

agentuu7@mail.com
You may not want it. I did download it when it was available but iTunes says that it "is not compatible with this iPhone" (original iPhone with v2.1 firmware).

stagi
Jan 23, 2009, 02:41 PM
I hope more stores create iphone ordering apps

mackpro
Jan 25, 2009, 11:54 AM
has anyone ever had q'doba? i wish they'd release an app.

IgnatiusTheKing
Jan 25, 2009, 11:58 AM
has anyone ever had q'doba? i wish they'd release an app.

Qdoba is okay. Chipotle is okay. Freebird's (only in Texas & California) is better, by far, than both.

Arcadie
Jan 25, 2009, 12:03 PM
screw mobile ordering. i much rather see an app that allowed mobile wait time checking and mobile reservations. It sucks driving around on a saturday night trying to find a restaurant without a 90 minute wait.

Only problem is each restaurant would have to report in but big chains like dardren and outback could..

Cyclotrode
Jan 25, 2009, 01:40 PM
While Chipotle does have a good burrito, Panchero's (http://www.pancheros.com/index2.php) kicks it up a notch by having fresh tortilla dough that's pressed when you order. If there is one in your area, check it out.

fishkorp
Jan 25, 2009, 03:12 PM
screw mobile ordering. i much rather see an app that allowed mobile wait time checking and mobile reservations. It sucks driving around on a saturday night trying to find a restaurant without a 90 minute wait.

Only problem is each restaurant would have to report in but big chains like dardren and outback could..

The OpenTable app allows you to check for reservations. Of course the restaurants have to use OpenTable. Most big chains like Outback don't use OpenTable, but plenty of quality places do. We use OT almost exclusively for the places we dine. Good thing about them is when you go over a certain number of points you get restaurant gift certificates.

fishkorp
Jan 25, 2009, 03:14 PM
While Chipotle does have a good burrito, Panchero's (http://www.pancheros.com/index2.php) kicks it up a notch by having fresh tortilla dough that's pressed when you order. If there is one in your area, check it out.

I ate at a Panchero's. While the pressing of dough was nice, the quality of the rest of the ingredients was quite poor compared to even Q'Doba or Chipotle.

YSR50
Jun 11, 2009, 11:27 PM
what ever happened with this app?

101at9
Jun 12, 2009, 01:28 PM
what ever happened with this app?

Maybe they are waiting for push notification in 3.0 to tell you when ur burrito is done. LOL I still have it from the first release but couldnt use it cause it was way to buggy. :D

gloss
Jun 12, 2009, 04:13 PM

Just tried the one near my house recently and thought the fresh tortillas were amazing. The rest of the ingredients weren't quite as fresh as Chipotle (victim of much slower turnover, I guess), but it was still quite good. I'd definitely split my time between there and Chippie's.

wlh99
Jun 12, 2009, 05:28 PM
I have never heard of Chipotle, On the Border, Loco Coco's Tacos, Qdoba, Freebirds or Panchero's. What's up with that?

I *can* walk to half a dozen Mexican owned and operated Taquerías from either my home or work, and those are the bomb, even if you do feel sick the next day.

kjl451
Jun 12, 2009, 05:38 PM
can't wait for this.

gigabella
Aug 7, 2009, 09:11 AM
I want this app too!!! I love Chipotle would love to order it on the go and run to pick it up......whatever did happen to this???