Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icypsp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Is there an instant messenger that allows you to send messages to your friend with an ipod touch without all of those online instant messengers?
Sorta like picto chat for the Nintendo DS. I think that would be pretty neat.
Is there one available in the app store? I own a 2g and if there is something available like that for a jailbroken 1g then thats just nice too.
:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
How are they going to receive it without a link online, and then what's the point of an alternative to the online messengers?

Unless you mean something over Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, in which case the App Store wouldn't have anything like that and it would be pointless to do so within a 30 foot range.

icypsp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
I guess youre right.
my friend and i are always messaging each other on them.
i thought it would be neat to have something like that in convience not a daily use.
thanks tho :D:D:D:D

timmumm

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Actually, there are uses for a bluetooth IM application. My dad is very hard of hearing, and I'd love to be able to chat with him in a public place without shouting. If I could use my MacBook and hand him my iPod Touch and type to him, that would be ideal. I'd have the ease of typing quickly, and he'd be able to read the message and not have to ask me to repeat.

How are they going to receive it without a link online, and then what's the point of an alternative to the online messengers?

Unless you mean something over Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, in which case the App Store wouldn't have anything like that and it would be pointless to do so within a 30 foot range.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
Actually, there are uses for a bluetooth IM application. My dad is very hard of hearing, and I'd love to be able to chat with him in a public place without shouting. If I could use my MacBook and hand him my iPod Touch and type to him, that would be ideal. I'd have the ease of typing quickly, and he'd be able to read the message and not have to ask me to repeat.
Not sure how well Google Documents works on an iPod Touch (I know there is an app but I've never tried it). But if it works as well as it does when you have two computers simultaneously editing the same document, then there's your answer.

Open the doc on the comp and the iPod, type away and the changes should be updated live for him.

timmumm

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
You're right. Google Docs may work in a wi-fi environment, and I'll try it to see.

In the meantime, it would still be nice to have a bluetooth connection and app for non-wi-fi environments.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Easy to do for anyone with a cell phone through AIM....

for the screenname, use "+1" and the number with areacode.

Like "+17135551212"

This will send the message to the cell phone number 713-555-1212 as a text message.

Don't know a solution for non-phones.

Skyhigh223

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009
Ping! For iPhone/iPod Touch to iPhone/iPod touch chatting!

I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned it...

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ping/id303612602?mt=

It works using Push notifications, so you will need some form of internet connection. D:
But you can send messages to your friend if they are offline and they can collect them when they do go online.

timmumm

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I'd really like something bluetooth that I could use between my laptop and iPod Touch. That way I can type with speed and my dad could read it easily rather than trying to hear me. Phones and pod to pod connections would work, but I want a bluetooth laptop to Touch app. If it's not out there, someone should develop it. Thanks.

timmumm

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Google docs isn't working on the iTouch. But, as long as I have wi-fi, I can use AIM to send messages from my laptop to my Touch. Hoping that something develops for using the laptop and Touch with bluetooth.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009

I just don't see why you can't do this on a regular online messenger. You simply create a screenname for your dad (takes less than 2 minutes). And you can use AIM (or other 3rd party ones) and get the same result. Also, WiFi has a greater range than BlueTooth, so you shouldn't limit yourself to BlueTooth.

But as someone already posted, there are BlueTooth Chat apps in the app store. Those are nice as they don't require a screenname/signup process but then again, a one-time 2 minute process isn't difficult.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I just don't see why you can't do this on a regular online messenger. You simply create a screenname for your dad (takes less than 2 minutes). And you can use AIM (or other 3rd party ones) and get the same result. Also, WiFi has a greater range than BlueTooth, so you shouldn't limit yourself to BlueTooth.

But as someone already posted, there are BlueTooth Chat apps in the app store. Those are nice as they don't require a screenname/signup process but then again, a one-time 2 minute process isn't difficult.

HE could - but he's talking about doing it in a spot there might not be wifi for the Touch & computer to use.

Think of something that might be like a closed-caption type of system in a play/theater (for a use other than what he posted). The freedom that would allow for seating and such.....

And heck, i could have used it the other day to say something to my dad in the front seat, from the back seat of the van - so the kids didn't hear me :D

timmumm

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm not limiting myself to bluetooth.

I can use AIM as long as I am in a wi-fi environment. So, when dad and I are visiting mom in the nursing home, I can type in my computer, and he can see the message on the Touch because the nursing home is a wi-fi environment. When I'm at my dad's house, there is no wi-fi, so I need to use bluetooth. There are bluetooth apps, but, the bluetooth apps are for iTouch to iTouch, not for laptop to iTouch. So, there is no bluetooth app for laptop to iTouch, and so when I'm at dad's home, I just have to shout or repeat myself until he understands. The other thing I do is use the computer and just show him the screen, which is fine if we are sitting at a table together, but if he's in an easy chair and I'm across the room, that's tougher.

I use wi-fi whenever I can. I need a bluetooth laptop to iTouch app for times when wi-fi is not available.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Can you create your own wifi by broadcasting on your laptop? Then the touch can join your network that way? I"ve done that to move some files.

I think there might be a limitation on the BT Stack on the touch though, it might not be able to do this right now (because, gasp, you might want to sync that way or something).

timmumm

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Can you create your own wifi by broadcasting on your laptop? Then the touch can join your network that way? I"ve done that to move some files.

I think there might be a limitation on the BT Stack on the touch though, it might not be able to do this right now (because, gasp, you might want to sync that way or something).

Good idea. I'll give it a try and see what I can come up with. Thanks for your interest!

timmumm

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I tried setting up my own wi-fi broadcasting, and the iTouch was able to see that, but not able to communicate through any messenger programs. Those need the internet cloud, not just a local wi-fi signal.

Tim

timmumm

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I never found a bluetooth solution, but I have the solution I needed. My internet provider was not able to provide a decent signal to my rural home, and finally stopped my service, so I got a contract for a Verizon MiFi (portable wi-fi using a verizon signal). Now I carry wi-fi with me all the time, and the need for a bluetooth IM program between the computer and iTouch is a moot point.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I never found a bluetooth solution, but I have the solution I needed. My internet provider was not able to provide a decent signal to my rural home, and finally stopped my service, so I got a contract for a Verizon MiFi (portable wi-fi using a verizon signal). Now I carry wi-fi with me all the time, and the need for a bluetooth IM program between the computer and iTouch is a moot point.

Oh good!!!!

Now, tell how you like the mifi - it's on my list......

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Oh good!!!!

Now, tell how you like the mifi - it's on my list......

I have a MiFi w/Verizon, and I absolutely love it. In my area (east metro Atlanta), the Verizon 3G data network is much faster usability wise than AT&T's 3G. Even though AT&T tests out in this area as a bit faster in overall speed(approx 2100kbps), the Verizon network(approx 1200-1400kbps) is has a lower ping rate and much more consistent speed-wise, and has a much faster upload rate (800-1100kbps vs. 120-280kbps on AT&T). It is also much faster to actually load web pages on the iPhone (again, in my particular area...I have no clue if this is the same everywhere). I use my iPhone 3GS as an iPod Touch now with the MiFi, since I like the much improved reliability of my Blackberry 9700 on AT&T for phone calls and email. For whatever reason, this Blackberry has no dropped calls or time-outs connecting to the data network in the 2+ months I've owned it, compared to the several a week while I was using my 3GS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.