Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyephone

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Hello all, I have had my alum macbook since its release, and have a personal preference issue about the black keys. Since 08 I have loved my slim imac chicklet keyboard with the white keys, so much so that I purchased an apple bluetooth keyboard to type on for long typing excursions.

I had the bluetooth keyboard right up against my macbook and realized that the layout, size and shape of the keys were identical. I love the white keys simply for the contrast of the black letters on the white chicklets. I also hate how the keys are getting shiny black, just kinda feels cheap.

Do you guys think that I should try to swap the keys on these units? I would love the white keys on my macbook, but I am not sure if they attach the same. I don't have the backlit keys, so I wouldn't loose anything.

What are your thoughts? Should I try it? Anyone have any chicklet key replacement experience?

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
2.4 or 2.0?

If you have the 2.4, then the keys won't light up. However, it should be possible to swap it. If you do, please post pics!

PeterQC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
There are a number of different attachs mechanisms that were used by Apple for the chiclet keyboard: At least 2 for the Macbook (The one for the Alu Macbook and there is a different one looking at some tutorial on the web) and the keyboard given with the iMacs. I'm not totally, as I've done no research, just information I've come across on the forum. You will have to try yourself. Just a warning: Look for a tutorial about how to remove the keys without damaging them, as the grip can be easily damaged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.