Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I'm currently looking for a new computer for rendering purposes. I'd like to stay on a mac and so am looking at Mac Pro's.

However, all of the 2.66GHz's are just out of my range (~AU$1800), so I'm looking for a 2.0GHz model...but I can't find one for sale ANYWHERE.

There's plenty of 2.66Ghz/2.8Ghz, but no 2.0Ghz's. Anyone know why, or can recommend a suitable substitute?

- Michael

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
I'm currently looking for a new computer for rendering purposes. I'd like to stay on a mac and so am looking at Mac Pro's.

However, all of the 2.66GHz's are just out of my range (~AU$1800), so I'm looking for a 2.0GHz model...but I can't find one for sale ANYWHERE.

There's plenty of 2.66Ghz/2.8Ghz, but no 2.0Ghz's. Anyone know why, or can recommend a suitable substitute?

- Michael

Uhh, are you talking about used? Might want to check the refurbished on Apple's site.

But the reason why there aren't that many 2.0 ghz is because it was a built to order option on the 1st gen Mac Pros. Many people realized that it was such a downgrade that they just went for the stock model (2.66ghz). 2nd gen Mac Pros were from 2.8 ghz and up.

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
yeah, i mean used...and the aussie refurb site is always understocked, have only ever seen one Mac Pro there.

And thanks for the info on the downgrade option...that explains their lack of general existence.

Anyone have any advice for finding one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.