PDA

View Full Version : Jef Raskin, creator of the Macintosh, talks about current in...

MacBytes
Mar 7, 2004, 12:59 PM
Link: Jef Raskin, creator of the Macintosh, talks about current interfaces and his current work. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040307135925)

Posted on MacBytes.com

zellin
Mar 7, 2004, 01:59 PM
X more complex than Classic? I think he is just biased, IMO X is MUCH easier than previous versions.
Also, the Macintosh does not have any mouse buttons. Neither does Windows. It is Apple mice that are single-buttoned. When will people realize that you can still plug your favorite mouse into your Mac?

noxes
Mar 7, 2004, 06:46 PM
is this the guy that Steve Jobs took over the Macintosh project from, still seems a little sore about that eh. 20 years later.

dukemeiser
Mar 7, 2004, 08:29 PM
He speaks as if classic was easier that OS X. Sounds like he just has bad luck or a bad machine. I never crash OS X, and I hardly ever have an app crash.

Benjamin
Mar 7, 2004, 08:40 PM
i can't believe he crashes that much, and even if the window server does crash it would boot to the log in window. unless he is KPing in that case mb he should stop using those 10 year old scsi devices.

isus
Mar 7, 2004, 10:33 PM
is this the same guy who uses linux and windows, but keeps his g4 in a closet and uses it as a stool?

JohnGillilan
Mar 8, 2004, 12:23 AM
He does make a valid point. There are a lot of Apple key commands that get you out of trouble that a novice user would never know about -- not that they should have to, which I think is his point.

iMeowbot
Mar 8, 2004, 12:59 AM
X more complex than Classic? I think he is just biased, IMO X is MUCH easier than previous versions.
I think he meant that the Mac 128 was more complicated that he would have preferred. The system that made its way out the door was a very different animal (http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=The_Father_of_The_Macintosh.txt&sortOrder=Sort+by+Date) from what Raskin proposed.

Sayer
Mar 8, 2004, 12:00 PM
Raskin is always credited with creating the Macintosh computer when in fact he created the Macintosh project only.

Raskin's original idea was something similar to the word processor computers that existed way back then, basically a text-based display and nothing but a CLI interface (with all really basic software built-in).

Steve Jobs pushed and mandated features of what eventually shipped as the Macintosh; the vertical form factor, the detached keyboard, the GUI, the zero expansion slots and even the price (which was $1299 originally, sound familiar?) were all Steve's ideas. Many technical details were necessitated by the demands of the software on the hardware i.e. faster processor, screen resolution and memory footprint.

Steve brought the fledgling Mac OS group, which was already underway in building a GUI-based OS, to Xerox PARC to see a working/shippable version of a (more primitive) GUI-based OS. Xerox was compensated with Apple stock btw, nothing was "stolen" despite the revisionist history of the "Pirates of Silicon Valley" movie.

Raskin is merely a bitter old man who left Apple in disgust when his pathetic idea for a computer was brushed aside by the visionary Steve Jobs.

jettredmont
Mar 8, 2004, 03:42 PM
Link: Jef Raskin, creator of the Macintosh, talks about current interfaces and his current work. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040307135925)

Posted on MacBytes.com

Okay, who's had to go into open firmware, reset their nvram, and rebooted? Anyone?

I certainly haven't, ever. And, I would guess that most people, faced with a situation where they would need to do something like that, would just take their machine into the shop or at least get Tech Support on the line.

Is the OF interface an appropriate thing to complain about in OS X? I mean, come on! There's the Dock and the Finder for nit-pickers to pick apart; why go into something that most people will never use?

That having been said, there are way too many "know it or don't" shortcuts in OS X. Even something as simple as a screen grab ... Intel machines, for all their faults, have a key on the keyboard labeled quite clearly "Print Screen" ... now, you can debate whether this is a good label or not (as it doesn't actually print the screen, and gives no indication of how you would get the current window or dialog only, etc) but, at least it gives the user a starting point and a visible reminder the next time, two months later, they need to print the screen again. OS X? It's command-shift-4. Why '4'? Does '4' have any relationship whatsoever to what you are trying to do? And, if you want just a window instead of a freeform selection, add a 'space' to the command. Huh?

How does one find out how to copy the screen? Search online help for "screen grab" (which will lead you to the less functional application version) or for "keyboard shortcuts" (which will lead to the command-shift-4 shortcuts). Once one has found this information once, is it permanently engrained on their brain? Not in my experience. I've had to search for that particular shortcut pretty much once every couple of months, when I get to a phase in a project where I'll need it.

But getting into Open Firmware? Why is that a problem?

If you know what your nvram is, and that you need to reset it, then I would imagine you should also be able to comprehend the command line intricacies of Open Firmware!

Nermal
Mar 8, 2004, 05:26 PM
And, if you want just a window instead of a freeform selection, add a 'space' to the command.

Thank you! I've been wanting to know that. Kinda proves your point, doesn't it?

aswitcher
Mar 9, 2004, 12:32 AM

Posted on MacBytes.com

Biggest thing I got from this was 2 BUTTON MOUSE from the guru of interfaces :D