Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ioremac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
The reason I want to switch is two fold. First Im so sick of windows and my pc. The second reason is garage band. Im going to be using it alot and I want to know which computer will be best. Other than garageband I will use it for school work internet photos and mostly multi media stuff. Im not into pc gaming but the only game I will want to play is sims 2. I also have a few questions. Can I use my current pc mouse with my mac??? Will every website work well in internet explorer for macs?? Thats all for now.

Stolid

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Norfolk, VA, USA
ioremac said:
The reason I want to switch is two fold. First Im so sick of windows and my pc. The second reason is garage band. Im going to be using it alot and I want to know which computer will be best. Other than garageband I will use it for school work internet photos and mostly multi media stuff. Im not into pc gaming but the only game I will want to play is sims 2. I also have a few questions. Can I use my current pc mouse with my mac??? Will every website work well in internet explorer for macs?? Thats all for now.
You can use your mouse assuming its got a compatable port (usually USB) and web compatability has been pretty close to perfect in my experience, and on par with Opera (which I find is between IE and Mozilla and kin) with Safari.
What about portability? Do you want a laptop? Do you want to be able to upgrade later without tossing out the box?
My /base/ suggestion would be a low end G5 PowerMac; but thats assuming you want upgradability for your monitor/memory/etc and don't want portability. I'd wait for upgrades to the line if you do that; its starting to get toothlong and when they come out prices will drop or you can get more for the same amount. But give me more details and I can help more.

ioremac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
Stolid said:
You can use your mouse assuming its got a compatable port (usually USB) and web compatability has been pretty close to perfect in my experience, and on par with Opera (which I find is between IE and Mozilla and kin) with Safari.
What about portability? Do you want a laptop? Do you want to be able to upgrade later without tossing out the box?
My /base/ suggestion would be a low end G5 PowerMac; but thats assuming you want upgradability for your monitor/memory/etc and don't want portability. I'd wait for upgrades to the line if you do that; its starting to get toothlong and when they come out prices will drop or you can get more for the same amount. But give me more details and I can help more.

I Want a desktop that will be good for at least 2 years. I know in a few months apple will release a os for 64bit g5s but will g4s be surported still??. I dont think I will need to upgrade because in 3 years of owning my gateway pc I have only upgraded the harddrive and the only reason I did that is because the old one went bust.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
ioremac said:
I Want a desktop that will be good for at least 2 years. I know in a few months apple will release a os for 64bit g5s but will g4s be surported still??. I dont think I will need to upgrade because in 3 years of owning my gateway pc I have only upgraded the harddrive and the only reason I did that is because the old one went bust.

Well, if you aren't planning on upgrading anything, and are expecting the system to last 3 years, a G5 is the only way to go....

ioremac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
Capt Underpants said:
Well, if you aren't planning on upgrading anything, and are expecting the system to last 3 years, a G5 is the only way to go....

I think the price is a little too much for only 2 years though. SO basically what Im asking is what will address my needs better a emac or imac.

Stolid

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Norfolk, VA, USA
Yeah; a G5 seems about right for that. Lowend if your budget warrents it; but you'll know going in that you won't lose out if anything 64-bit only comes out (might run slow; but it will at least run); I doubt the OS will be 64b only but apps might start becoming so.

ioremac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
Stolid said:
Yeah; a G5 seems about right for that. Lowend if your budget warrents it; but you'll know going in that you won't lose out if anything 64-bit only comes out (might run slow; but it will at least run); I doubt the OS will be 64b only but apps might start becoming so.

Thats true so a 1.6 g5 might suit me right?? I wish apples monitors were cheaper though....

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
ioremac said:
I think the price is a little too much for only 2 years though. SO basically what Im asking is what will address my needs better a emac or imac.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy either. Right now, if you are going to buy a G4 system, you have to buy a tower. It will be more upgradable in the future. Even though you may not think you will upgrade this machine, you may need to. Get a dualie G4 for 1599.00. You can upgrade to more HDs, processors (maybe), video cards, etc. Neither the iMac or the eMac have these capabilities. Is garageband dual processor aware? I have heard that it is overly hogging the system, so I would get the best you can. More RAM helps, too.

If 1599 is still too much, get the single version for 1300. JUst as much upgradability with just one less processor for the price of the 15" iMac.

Stolid

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Norfolk, VA, USA
ioremac said:
Thats true so a 1.6 g5 might suit me right?? I wish apples monitors were cheaper though....
Yeah; but if you can wait for the new G5s just for the better prices.
And remember, you don't HAVE to get an Apple display, anything with a DVI connector can be used (or even VGA with a DVI->VGA) -- so grab the dongle and you can use your Gateway monitor if you like it!

ioremac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
Stolid said:
Yeah; but if you can wait for the new G5s just for the better prices.
And remember, you don't HAVE to get an Apple display, anything with a DVI connector can be used (or even VGA with a DVI->VGA) -- so grab the dongle and you can use your Gateway monitor if you like it!

• Dual 1.25GHz w/ 2MB L3 Cache per processor
• 256MB DDR333 SDRAM (PC2700) -1 DIMM
• 80GB Ultra ATA drive
• Optical 1 - Combo Drive (DVD/CD-RW)
• Optical 2 - None
• ATI Radeon 9000 Pro dual-display w/64MB DDR
• Apple Studio Display (17" flat panel)
• 56K internal modem
• Apple Pro Keyboard - U.S. English
• Mac OS - U.S. Englis

$2,298.00

How are apples pro speakers?? Also what would be the advantages of dual processors?? I might get a g5 it depends if my parents are willing to help.(I plan to start working starting may)I dont know I just want a great computer that will provide enough power for my needs.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
ioremac said:
•
How are apples pro speakers?? Also what would be the advantages of dual processors?? I might get a g5 it depends if my parents are willing to help.(I plan to start working starting may)I dont know I just want a great computer that will provide enough power for my needs.

Dual processors make multi-tasking much more efficient. Also, if you are using apps that are multi-processor aware, it will speed things up. The dual G4 versus Single G5 has been discussed many times before on these boards. Search for it and read up. You should find some interesting info.

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
Guys not everyone can afford a G5.

If you want the computer to last a couple of years you will be fine with pretty much any new mac (as long as you bump up the memory). Sure faster would be better but if you havent needed to upgrade your current PC for 3 years except for when it broke, then I'm assuming speed isn't the be all and end all.

An emac would suit your needs fine and be a lot cheaper than a G5 and monitor. An iMac would also be good, they are very pretty machines especially with the 17 or 20" screens. The G4 towers are a reasonable deal as already mentioned too, if you require upgradability. Maybe we'll even see a G5 iMac before you buy, although I wouldnt bet on it, then the choice would be a no brainer. Or it may well be worth your while to wait for the next G5 revision and pick up one of the current G5s nice and cheap. I'd take a look at the computers in your price range and see what appeals to you, then ask for more specific help if you need it.

Additionally you really need 512Mb of memory in my opinion for any mac running OS X so be sure to budget for more memory (its much cheaper to buy elsewhere and install yourself than order from Apple).

Good luck

Stolid

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Norfolk, VA, USA
Sabbath said:

If you want the computer to last a couple of years you will be fine with pretty much any new mac (as long as you bump up the memory). Sure faster would be better but if you havent needed to upgrade your current PC for 3 years except for when it broke, then I'm assuming speed isn't the be all and end all.

An emac would suit your needs fine and be a lot cheaper than a G5 and monitor. An iMac would also be good, they are very pretty machines especially with the 17 or 20" screens. The G4 towers are a reasonable deal as already mentioned too, if you require upgradability. Maybe we'll even see a G5 iMac before you buy, although I wouldnt bet on it, then the choice would be a no brainer. Or it may well be worth your while to wait for the next G5 revision and pick up one of the current G5s nice and cheap. I'd take a look at the computers in your price range and see what appeals to you, then ask for more specific help if you need it.

Additionally you really need 512Mb of memory in my opinion for any mac running OS X so be sure to budget for more memory (its much cheaper to buy elsewhere and install yourself than order from Apple).

Good luck

Everyone has their own philosophy, and all we have to go on is our own. I, for example, buy the absolute /top of the line/ but keep the system far far longer than most people. So I tend to suggest something a bit higher than most people will need for their tasks because of the reason I purchase that way -- you're always surprised at something you end up throwing at the system and wish you'd gotten TotL when you got the system. Plus I've made it a matter of course to suggest new architecture's (viable of course) when they're out. 64bit /will/ break compatability in the future if people take advantage (in other words, compile it with 64-bit expectation). Mac is, at the same time, famous for legacy support and famous for requireing the latest and greatest. I don't expect it to be that 'every program will require G5s in a year' by any stretch; look how many programs no longer release/support OS9. Heck; some Apple apps require 10.3 now. Architecture changes work the same way, and are more expensive to 'correct'; so it'll take a /really/ tight requirement or knowledge of short-term (less than a year) for me to suggest the G4 right now. I might be wrong; but you still get a better machine. "Safe than sorry" I suppose.
Save for a little while longer, get the new architecture and be safe. It is, of course, his money but he asked for suggestions and that's my thoughts.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Sabbath said:

Good luck

Since he just listed a Dual G4 and a Monitor for 2300.00, I am guessing 2300 is within his price range. Now tell me, why would anyone buy a computer that is slower, and will be outdated more quickly when they can afford a faster one? He says he will be using GarageBand alot. Does anyone know if GaregeBand is dual processor aware? If it is, there is no doubt a dual G4 will be the way to go. If it isn't, a single G4 will due. The iMacs and eMacs only have a max of 1 GB of RAM. Right now, OSX needs 512 to run optimally. You said this yourself. Add future apps on top of that and multitasking and you are up to a gig of RAM. The G4 towers ARE more future-proof than the iMac or eMac. The G4 proc. is already getting outdated, so you might as well buy the best that you can afford.

evil

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
another thought is to spend rougly 1000 dollars on an emac
save the money and have a computer that will definately be able to do what you want it to.

sworthy

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2002
I don't know if you mind a refurbished tower, but check out apple's special deals section. Sometimes you have to wait for availability, but I recently saw G5 1.6 for only 1399.

ioremac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
Sabbath said:

Good luck

Yea any mac I buy will come with 512mb of memory. I really want this mac for music creation purposes and for common stuff. My budget will be whatever gives me more bang for my buck. The g5 prices would not be bad if it included a monitor.

ioremac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
Capt Underpants said:
Since he just listed a Dual G4 and a Monitor for 2300.00, I am guessing 2300 is within his price range. Now tell me, why would anyone buy a computer that is slower, and will be outdated more quickly when they can afford a faster one? He says he will be using GarageBand alot. Does anyone know if GaregeBand is dual processor aware? If it is, there is no doubt a dual G4 will be the way to go. If it isn't, a single G4 will due. The iMacs and eMacs only have a max of 1 GB of RAM. Right now, OSX needs 512 to run optimally. You said this yourself. Add future apps on top of that and multitasking and you are up to a gig of RAM. The G4 towers ARE more future-proof than the iMac or eMac. The G4 proc. is already getting outdated, so you might as well buy the best that you can afford.

One gig of ram wow. Im really behind the times. Im only using 64mb of ram in this system and its a pretty fast computer to me.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
ioremac said:
One gig of ram wow. Im really behind the times. Im only using 64mb of ram in this system and its a pretty fast computer to me.

I was speaking of RAM needs maybe 2 years from now, which is when you will still be needing this system. If you are going to continue your music creation wants, then the more RAM, the better. You must be running Win98.

ioremac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
Capt Underpants said:
I was speaking of RAM needs maybe 2 years from now, which is when you will still be needing this system. If you are going to continue your music creation wants, then the more RAM, the better. You must be running Win98.

Yep Im running 98 but I had win me but that was a living hell working with me so I decided to downgrade to 98 second edition.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
ioremac said:
Yep Im running 98 but I had win me but that was a living hell working with me so I decided to downgrade to 98 second edition.
I don't blame you... I had ME, but instead of downgrading, I upgraded to XP.... Had to add some more RAM, but overall, it was worth it.

Stolid

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Norfolk, VA, USA
Yeah; I run both 98 and XP on my PCs. ME was a disaster - tried to be NT without having NT. Bad idea.
I find 98 is better *IF* you knew how to run it; XP is better for 'just working'.
So I run 98 on my performance-oriented PC, XP on my laptop. Unfortunatly 98 drivers are really not showing up anymore. Ah well.

0s and 1s

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2004
OK, USA
ioremac said:

Don't yah mean you upgraded to Win90SE?? :p

Win ME was such a horrible experience. Ugh...

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
For what you want to do, it sounds like an iMac or eMac would suit you fine. However, keep in mind that the Sims 2 has not been announced for the Mac platform yet, and if it does, it will have pretty high system requirements, and most likely wouldn't run well on either of those systems.

ioremac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
Well now I have some questions. SOme may seem stupiud buit I have never touched a mac in my life so Im pretty much a virgin so to speak. I have sort of noticed that the osx doesnt have a start button so how will I reach the programs that are not in my dock?? Also I might use the normal apple mouse so how can I get right clikc to work?? Is there a control panel so to speak?? Does a mac have to worry about spyware??? Thats all for now I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.