PDA

View Full Version : Pro-Pot Cop gets his job back and an $815,000 settlement

joepunk
Jan 13, 2009, 04:45 PM
LINK (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008620842_copsettled13m.html)

A former Mountlake Terrace police sergeant whose views supporting the decriminalization of marijuana led to his dismissal in 2005 has won his job back and an $815,000 settlement from the city and Snohomish County.

However, Sgt. Jonathan Wender will not return to the streets. In addition to the financial settlement, the city has agreed to keep him on administrative leave and to pay him a $90,000-a-year salary for the next two years, when he will be able to retire after 20 years with the department.

At 69 cents a piece he can bring home around 1,181,159 doughnuts just on the settlement alone. And if he takes his own cup to Trader Joe's, well, that's free coffee right there. :D

JNB
Jan 13, 2009, 04:59 PM
While I support his right to his beliefs, and also his ability to speak out on them, the action that led to this was seemingly in violation of his oath to uphold the law, regardless of his views on it.

The government's action I think was fundamentally correct vis-a-vis his failure to do his duty and uphold the law correctly, but charged and prosecuted incorrectly.

I'm a little--just a little--mixed on this one. If he was so against the law, he should have resigned, instead of taking the litigous route and ultimately costing the taxpayers millions in settlement, salary, and retirement costs.

I just hope he's proud of what he's taking from the community.

rhett7660
Jan 13, 2009, 05:38 PM
Do we know what he did that cost him his job? There seems to be more to his dismissal then what the artical is saying.