Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

airick13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Here recently I've been thinking very seriously about getting one of lower end aluminum macbooks. Up until this day I have never seen a mac outside of elementary school or Bestbuy. I just happen to be sitting in the Wal-mart parking lot and just happened to notice a lady walking out of the store with a blackbook in her arms. I immediately thought, "MUST GET ONE NAOH!!"

I want one for 3 reasons. One, because I'll be starting college soon. Two, it's frickin beautiful! Three, I've always wanted to try os x.

The only thing holding me back is the fact I may be going into computer science. I read somewhere running windows via bootcamp is just an emulation. Is this false or would this cause any conflicts if I were to do any type of networking or programming?

I also have a windows desktop, it's plenty beefy!

e6750 2.66
4gb 1066 ddr2
8800 gt ssc
3x 500 gb hdds
2x 22" monitors

airick13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Why would someone take their Mac to Wal-Mart?! Ugh...

Well, welcome at any rate. Boot Camp is full-on Windows. Windows in Boot Camp runs faster than Windows on a normal PC.

Why would someone become distraught over someone taking their macbook to Wal-mart? Ugh...

On a serious note though, she might have worked there or maybe she was gettin her wifi on at the mickie dees.

ikermalli

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
It's a mart full of wal(l)s

^^ Yeah I know, bad joke :rolleyes:

But, people don't like it normally because the workers normally know nothing about what they are talking about

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
[cut out bad joke]

But, people don't like it normally because the workers normally know nothing about what they are talking about

We've bought all our groceries from Wal-Mart for the past 4 years and we love it because it's much cheaper than anywhere else. But I'm not going to go there and ask advice about what HDTV to get.

To the OP: Buy a Macbook if you plan on being in OS X most of the time. When you have to do IT stuff for school, you can boot into Windows via Bootcamp. I'm a computer programmer and in my last year of college, I used a Powerbook. Of course, I used VirtualPC for Windows.

airick13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
We've bought all our groceries from Wal-Mart for the past 4 years and we love it because it's much cheaper than anywhere else. But I'm not going to go there and ask advice about what HDTV to get.

Yeah, if you go into any brick and mortar retail store seeking advice you're just asking for trouble. Look at bestbuy. Only 3 types of people buy from there. The impatient, those who don't know the internet exists, and those who need something RIGHT THEN to fix whatever issue they have.

I order all my technology through the internet. I never buy anything in a store. Hell, most sites such as Amazon or Newegg don't even charge tax. So yeah!

This thread got derailed before it even got started so uhh.. yeah lets cut Wal-mart off.

ikermalli

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
Yeah, if you go into any brick and mortar retail store seeking advice you're just asking for trouble. Look at bestbuy. Only 3 types of people buy from there. The impatient, those who don't know the internet exists, and those who need something RIGHT THEN to fix whatever issue they have.

I order all my technology through the internet. I never buy anything in a store. Hell, most sites such as Amazon or Newegg don't even charge tax. So yeah!

This thread got derailed before it even got started so uhh.. yeah lets cut Wal-mart off.

Or... people who cant buy online

Oh, and my joke was bad, but not bad enough to be cut out, it was funny... in my head :)

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around

I don't get why people think all these stores are bad. Some people have to got to them and you will have people who some workers there who don't know stuff, but you will have some people who do. Who here can say they work for a company that ALL the employees know everything? I know people at my work can't.

On-line sites are cool, but some states are now charging taxes and some states even tax the shipping. I like going to Target, Best Buy and so on because if the item that I buy doesn't work when I get home, it's a quick drive to the store and I get it replaced. BTW Wal Mart isn't always cheaper, people need to shop around. Wal Mart count on the loyalists who only shop there. I'm not saying it's bad, but just shop around.

Now back on subject. If you get a Mac, congrats!! It's an awesome machine!!!

airick13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
The whole Wal-Mart / retail store discussion was fine for the first few posts, but seriously stop NOW.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
The whole Wal-Mart / retail store discussion was fine for the first few posts, but seriously stop NOW.

Dude, chill out. We're all just having a good time here, and that's why I said "back on subject"
Like I said before, the Macbook is an AWESOME machine and you'll be happy with it!

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I read somewhere running windows via bootcamp is just an emulation. Is this false or would this cause any conflicts if I were to do any type of networking or programming?

Running Windows via Boot Camp is not emulation, it's running Windows natively on the computer - it just happens to be Mac hardware. No other OS runs at the time.

Running Windows via Parallels or Fusion is not emulation, it's running Windows in a virtual machine. You may or may not run into performance and/or compatibility issues.

You could always use your current Windows box for programming, though.

stuarthatto

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
Running Windows via Boot Camp is not emulation, it's running Windows natively on the computer - it just happens to be Mac hardware. No other OS runs at the time.

Running Windows via Parallels or Fusion is not emulation, it's running Windows in a virtual machine. You may or may not run into performance and/or compatibility issues.

You could always use your current Windows box for programming, though.

Funny - I had a brief online discussion with Jon Parshall the COO of Codeweavers who told everyone on the forum that Parallels and VMware were emulation whilst Crossover was not. http://www.beckhamforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1669

I maintain the opposite - perhaps this is where the whole emulation debate is coming from - Codeweavers.

Stu

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Funny - I had a brief online discussion with Jon Parshall the COO of Codeweavers who told everyone on the forum that Parallels and VMware were emulation whilst Crossover was not. http://www.beckhamforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1669

I maintain the opposite - perhaps this is where the whole emulation debate is coming from - Codeweavers.

Stu

Err, of course Fusion & Parallels run windows in virtual machines id go back & have a word with him if i were you

airick13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Next time you'll see a lady getting out of the walmart parking lot with a Mercedes and you think to yourself 'I need to get me one of those' :p
cheers.gif
ecstatic.gif
champagne.gif

By the way I'm not sure newegg sells macs I think they're more pc based.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Mac.aspx?name=Apple

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Runs faster than on a normal PC? How is that possible? :confused::confused:

It just does. PCWorld has the benchmarks and timings to prove it.

:eek:Its a real joke that no blu ray is available. My woman recently got a £400 Acer, yes acer, with 17" screen and blu ray. Not to mention firewire and express card slot!

I know acer are crap but way more than half the price of a macbook (if you don't include the cheap plastic one) i am tempted.

Ive been holding off for an age waiting now!

Apple wake up!

Stop this nonsense. You've been posting the same thing over and over in different threads. It doesn't have a slot loading drive. No slot-loading drives exist to be put in Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.