Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lepwisk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Toronto
Hi all,

Something is confusing me. I have a 1GHz TiBook running 10.2.8, but I'm not sure if it is running at full speed. I ran across a hint (either here or at macosxhints.com, I can't remember) to check the speed of your processor and tried it out. In the Terminal, you type "sysctl hw.cpufrequency" and it should give you your clock speed. When I did so, the Terminal told me my machine was running at 667. The hint also said that if you reset the PMU, it will restore the machine to full speed. I did this, and after running the hint again my machine did read 999 for a while. I would keep tabs on the speed this way and then without warning and for no apparent reason, it went back to 667.

I know some people have said there is a problem with sysctl, so I haven't worried too much about this. But while beta-testing the Plogue Bidule audio app, i looked at the app's log file and it too told me my CPU speed was 667MHz.

What's going on here? Would this log be getting incorrect info via a sysctl request? How can I tell if my machine is really running at full speed?

So confused... hope someone here can help!

Thanks in advance, Lewis Kaye

PowerBook User

macrumors regular
May 29, 2003
I have an 867 MHz TiBook that also says 667 MHz. Apple System Profiler says 867 MHz, though. I don't know what causes this. Has anyone heard anything from Apple about this?

fussball

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
Does it have anything to do with the enrgy saver settings? I know you can choose to scale back processor preformance to lengthen battery life...

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
That's weird....mine says it too when i type in the command line...but then again, i HAVE a 667 MHz TiBook...haha, couldn't resist.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
altair said:
i have a 1ghz tibook, same thing, 667mhz

What your prefermance settings at?
I am wondering it the processor is clocking down when it is not under load.

You can always try check the frequency while running folding and see what it is then.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
-Possibly your machine is set to run at Reduced speed either in Battery or Power Adapter mode.

-Also note that this command is almost never accurate in Terminal. I believe it tends to show the Reduced speed no matter what. I am on an 867 PowerBook and mine reads as 533 regardless of my settings. Using XBench will yield an accurate result in percentages.

Here is a good discussion on this topic:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?50@184.CQdma4FPe2h.2@.688d0c76

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2002
London
same-o

ditto -- any way to truely test the speed - after all , I DID pay for a 1 ghz PB :mad:

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
if you guys are worried then just run an xbench and compare your score to other 1ghz or 867 or 667 or whatever.

when I typed that command I got 498 and I have a 500 so thats good.

lepwisk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Toronto
blue&whiteman said:
if you guys are worried then just run an xbench and compare your score to other 1ghz or 867 or 667 or whatever.

Yeah. Did this and I'm still confused! XBench also told me my CPU was clocking at 667MHz, but the results I achieved were comparable to the 1GHz TiBook results found at

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge.xhtml?doc1=8337

My CPU test gave me a score of 118.35. Is this comparable to what others are finding? I am going to reset the PMU, run xBench again and compare the results. I'll let y'all know what the score is.

As for the Energy Saver, my processor setting is definitely set to Highest. Also, when I run the Apple System Profiler under OS9, the processor is listed as PowerPC G4 667MHz-1GHz. The OSX System Profiler just gives me 1GHz, but I figured this info was got from a hardware ID.

As for clocking down when the processor isn't working hard, I've been reading on this site about Apple and IBM trying to work this into a G5 chip for PBs, but I didn't think the G4s did this. This would also mean that the processor reading would go back to 999 when under a load. I've checked the terminal when compressing video and it still read 667.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i think xbench grabs the same info grabbed by the terminal command to show the clock speed.

regardless, the terminal command does NOT actually clock the CPU, it simply grabs the clockspeed number listed in some system profile - and it's a known bug (as discussed in the other threads) that the number is not an indication of the actual clockspeed. that's why xbench scores, which will actually depend on the cpu clockspeed, will correctly reflect the speed of the processor.

energy saver setting can change when you run your processor at full or reduced speed. if you have a 867 like mine, i believe it runs at 533 when reduced. even if the terminal command says 533, the processor is running at 867 if i tell it so. so don't worry about it...

basically, don't bother trusting the number returned by the terminal command. that's all...

lepwisk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Toronto
i think xbench grabs the same info grabbed by the terminal command to show the clock speed.

This seems very plausible.

I reset the PMU and the terminal app now reads 999. I ran xBench and got scores almost exactly the same as what I found before (new score of 118.72 on the CPU test). When I ran xBench with processor performance set to Reduced, the CPU score was 79.62, roughly 2/3 of what it read at full speed, which is what one would expect from a processor running at 667MHz.

The Apple thread noted above does indeed have a good discussion. Seems there are plenty of confused people! Ans Apple tech support could never help with a problem like this. This seems like a Darwin/UNIX bug.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Um... yeah G5 :s

Hey, i just tried this command out on my G5, and i'm lucky enough to have a:

1800000000 mhz Computer! Yippeee... much better than the 1800mhz Computer i actually paid for! Got to love the G5 its all its said to be and more!

Random terminal command! Obviously needs fixing

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
i took someone's advice from another thread and ran XBench. it shows performance in % value. with the proc set to full speed i got a score of 98 percent. after setting it to reduced speed my score was 69%. this tells me that the Terminal command is wrong because it tells me the same thing no matter what my CPU settings are.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
The processor speed reduction doesn't actually slow down the clock speed. I was wondering about that and checked it out a while ago.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Dale Sorel said:
I have a 700 MHz iMac and I got: hw.cpufrequency: 700000000

I guess all is good :)

being a bit picky here, but if you follow the rest of the thread, you'll see that the number given by that terminal command is pretty much useless and has nothing to do with the actual clockspeed...

whether it's "correct" or not, it really doesn't matter...

Bunzi2k4

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2003
San Diego, California
umm... with my pb 12" g4 640 megs of ram, i got a 29.9 on xbench... i've herd g5's getting 208, so... my pb g4 can't be that far behind... can it?

Just kiddin!!! i got an 82.73 my g3 imac 350 got that... lol

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
SpaceMagic said:
1800000000 mhz Computer! Yippeee... much better than the 1800mhz Computer i actually paid for! Got to love the G5 its all its said to be and more!
Not to be picky, but its more like 1800000000 Hertz. :p

My Dual 867 says 866666664, which is normal except the 4. that seems a bit odd.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Bunzi2k4 said:
umm... with my pb 12" g4 640 megs of ram, i got a 29.9 on xbench... i've herd g5's getting 208, so... my pb g4 can't be that far behind... can it?

Just kiddin!!! i got an 82.73 my g3 imac 350 got that... lol

Was there any purpose to that?

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Yeah, this popped up before around here, my 1Ghz TiBook reports back at 667 unless I have just reset the PMU. Regardless, I don't see it affecting anything. I doubt (m)any programs use that command to grab the CPU speed and then throttle anything back because of it. I did a bunch of tests with Xbench before and after the PMU reset, did it several times yadda yadda yadda. No noticable improvement/degradation. So I stopped worrying about it. Unless more information has come to light, I see no reason to start worrying about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.