Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you switch to Windows 7 from OS X? (boot camp/fusion/paralells/new pc)

• Yes! Windows 7 is definitely shaping up to be better than OS X.

Votes: 38 8.9%
  • No, and besides, Snow Leopard's coming out soon too.

Votes: 303 71.0%
  • I'll wait 'till the final version of Windows 7 is released before I decide

Votes: 86 20.1%

• Total voters

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
I've been using the Windows 7 beta and it's incredible. No random Vista slowdowns, User Account Control works just right, and everything worked out of the box. And I love the new task bar.

Since it's a new installation (on a better computer, too) it seems even faster than XP and even OS X.

So now that many of you have had experience with the beta, do you think the final product will be enough to make you switch back to Windows? And if you've been a Mac user all your life, will you cross to the "dark" side?

I'm definitely tempted.

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2004
hahahaha this topic made me laugh.

A windows user can switch back anytime, it's the fact that when they "switched" over to mac, they really didn't switch 100%.

Theophany

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
NW London.
I have a fetish for viruses. I'm so going to let all of my Macs go to waste because Redmond's finest release more overpriced trash.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
I have a fetish for viruses. I'm so going to let all of my Macs go to waste because Redmond's finest release more overpriced trash.

it's getting boring. just cuz steve allmighty says its trash, it's actually not.
overwhelming majority doesn't agree with him. ;) say over 90%?

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007

A windows user can switch back anytime, it's the fact that when they "switched" over to mac, they really didn't switch 100%.

I don't know what twisted world some people live in, but what you just wrote screams dumbness to me. What is switching 100%? Selling your soul to Steve Jobs and Apple because of... what, exactly?

Switching to the OS that gives you the best experience includes switching back to Windows, if that is the case. Preferences, needs, logic.

QueenZ

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2008
I've been testing it and i don't like it at all.. :p

3195018684_5fde1f2b01_b.jpg

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
Windows 7 is shaping up to be a very worthwhile OS. It's what Vista should have been and I actually prefer being in W7 than OSX right now. I personally think OSX looks dated in comparison to the W7 interface which is more refined than Vista.

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
I certainly like the look of W7 - the features are pretty hot too.

The problem is the ****** looking hardware, the driver issues, viruses and the whole user experience when things just tend NOT to work.

I like it - but I'm sticking with the Mac - SL should be worth the wait (I hope!)

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Windows 7 is shaping up to be a very worthwhile OS. It's what Vista should have been and I actually prefer being in W7 than OSX right now. I personally think OSX looks dated in comparison to the W7 interface which is more refined than Vista.

QFT. Plus given my recent Applecare experience, I'll probably be buying a Windows 7 computer in a year or two.

You've been drinking too much Apple Kool-aid. I've used a windows computer for many years and have never once gotten a virus.

megacrazy

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009

You should try concentrating more on using the best OS out there, instead of being a Windows or Apple fanboy/user.

Windows 7 is excellent so far. Like so many have said, it's what Vista should have been and what Leopard already is. So, the question is why switch to something you already have with Leopard? Plus, all the graphical candy, that is copied mostly copied from OSX, is not at the same level as OSX.

I think I'll stay with OSX for now but my XP partition will soon be a Windows 7 partition.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
I've been testing it and i don't like it at all.. :p

3195018684_5fde1f2b01_b.jpg

No wonder, you've neutered it by using the classic theme.

Anyway. I never "switched" to begin with. Just because I own a Mac doesn't mean I "switched." It means I added Mac OS X to my arsenal of OS's to use at my disposal, for times when it can do what I want to do on a computer better than Windows (you get no Steve Jobs brownie points if you reply to the sentence that Mac OS X can do everything better than Windows).

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
i won't switch back b/c xp does what i need it to on my bootcamp partition (although it has crashed a few times so a crashless windows 7 might be tempting), but i won't leave mac.

too many computers for my business and they're all running stable and are workhorses. Even though win7 may be great, it's not worth the expense of switching.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about

Despite being a devoted Mac user, I'm tending to agree with this assessment. Microsoft has done a really nice job of rooting out a lot of the user-unfriendliness that plagued XP. I'm liking 7. I don't think I'd switch back on a permanent basis, but if 7 proves to be stable, I would certainly consider a dual-OS environment.

Of course, this attitude partially stems from my Leopard install acting up. When Snow Leopard comes out I'll give it a fresh install and we'll see how they stack up.

EmperorDarius

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
I won't switch. I see no reason too, it's still windows after all. I don't wanna go back dealing with a popup for every single system change, or get infected instead. Plus that I will never even try to get back to windows as long as the registry exists. That infernal thing is just causing problems. No thanks.

Leopard's design seems much more advanced and detailed to me.

You've been drinking too much Apple Kool-aid. I've used a windows computer for many years and have never once gotten a virus.

Or so you think. How do you know it? How do you know that there's not a nasty rootkit somewhere in your computer? Many years of windows usage prove that you can't unless you use several system monitoring softwares, which gives tons of popups. An antivirus is never enough.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Yes, I will be switching. I love the random crashes, viruses, spyware and the fact that you have to reinstall the operating system once a month to get rid of all the crap on your computer.

Microsoft will never be able to fix any of this, unless they use a completely different architecture for Windows, like Apple did with Mac OSX.

NEiMac

macrumors regular
No, I won't switch back to windows, unless a job requires it or something. Not because I hate Microsoft or even the virus problems really, it's because I hate using there software and there update system. No I'm not a brain washed apple fan, and I may very well go back to using linux some day, but Mac os X is working fine for me at the moment.

Jeremy81

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
Oklahoma
Definitely not. Installed on bootcamp and after 30 minutes was ready to boot back into OS X and never look back. For me Windows is just painful to use. It's as much about apps as the OS and most Windows apps are too bloated and ugly.

mgclayton

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
In a word, No.

I regularly use OS X, Linux and Windows (XP & Vista), but my OS X machine(s) are the ones I use day in day out. They're just more pleasant to use. Having said that, my Linux box is on 24/7 as a web and database server. Horses for courses and all that.
I have installed Windows 7 and I think it is an improvement over Vista, my benchmarks suggest a performance boost (about 5%), the UAC is better, and the taskbar looks more like the dock ( ;) ).

However, there's still no expose, spaces, time machine, etc and more importantly no UNIX underneath!
Also, it's likely that Snow Leopard will be out before Windows 7. My beta expires on Aug 1st, so I doubt 7 will be out before then.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I've been using the Windows 7 beta and it's incredible. No random Vista slowdowns, User Account Control works just right, and everything worked out of the box. And I love the new task bar.

Since it's a new installation (on a better computer, too) it seems even faster than XP and even OS X.

So now that many of you have had experience with the beta, do you think the final product will be enough to make you switch back to Windows? And if you've been a Mac user all your life, will you cross to the "dark" side?

I'm definitely tempted.

But it's Windows....
I did a few preliminary tests with 7 and I'll admit here right now I was impressed... compared to XP and Vista. I didn't want to mess up my Vista box since it took me months of tweaking to get that to run perfectly, so I loaded build 7000 in VMWare. That's where I test out code anyway.
That thing is snappy, and I love the minimalist approach. I hope Snow Leopard does something similar, and I hope MS doesn't add bloatware... that will destroy the concept.
Here are the first two tests I did. Both are running in the latest VM version, on a 8-core Mac Pro with 8GB ram and fast SATA drives. The second shows a comaprison with XP. While Win 7 is the beta, XP is a MINIMAL install to try to get as fast a response as possible.
Win7 has promise I think.
http://www.coachstat.com/Win7.mov

http://www.coachstat.com/Win7vsXP.mov

Sorry about the window size on the second movie... I was in a hurry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.