PDA

View Full Version : Virgin to launch music jukebox, Net music store

MacBytes
Mar 8, 2004, 02:14 AM
Link: Virgin to launch music jukebox, Net music store (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040308031445)

Posted on MacBytes.com

TeknoTurd
Mar 8, 2004, 03:24 AM
Why do companies insist on throwing their money away like this? The only reason it was a good idea for Apple was because of the iPod, that is the ONLY reason. If you don't have the number one selling MP3 player or equivalent device you might wanna put your money back into R&D or something more useful.

JohnGillilan
Mar 8, 2004, 03:50 AM
I did find their reference to mobile phone compatibility to be interesting. With the constant rumors of an iPhone like device combining a PDA/phone/iPod in some sort, I felt this blurb to be at least noteworthy. And in case I don't see you, good afternoon, good evening, and goodnight.

Savage Henry
Mar 8, 2004, 04:26 AM
Why do companies insist on throwing their money away like this? The only reason it was a good idea for Apple was because of the iPod, that is the ONLY reason. If you don't have the number one selling MP3 player or equivalent device you might wanna put your money back into R&D or something more useful.

It's just bandwagon mentality, and Virgin are past masters at putting their name in an already overcrowded market (jeans, mobiles, mortages, vodka, commercial radio). They aren't looking to make money through either a leading product or bottom line profits. They just want their name emblazend on as many products as possible. Serious techie Windows people are still waiting for iTMS Europe rather than this load of pants because they want it to play on their iPod. It's that simple.

punter
Mar 8, 2004, 04:48 AM
It's just bandwagon mentality

Do ya reckon? I think they've done more sums then that.

I think they see a possibility that downloading music might be the way of the future, and being one of the original music stores might be of benefit to them. I reckon they're putting a bet on online music and diversifying how they sell music (to reduce risk).

If everyone stops shopping at virgin music stores and starts buying their music online it's no wonder virgin are interested in having an online music store.

Steve says there are no profits in online music. but steve says a lot of stuff, like year of the laptop, and death to the crt monitor. There's probably not good cashflow in itms yet, but I think its potential for future profit is reflected by the amount of money large companies are throwing at this new shop.... but of course i could be wrong ;)

dricci
Mar 8, 2004, 08:33 AM
Link: Virgin to launch music jukebox, Net music store (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040308031445)

Great, there are so many music stores that we now have to sort them by whether or not their creators have had sex!

Oh wait, you mean Virgin the company. My mistake.

Photorun
Mar 8, 2004, 08:52 AM
Geez, it's about time Virgin got in the act, the little Vietnamese resaurant down on the corner has their own, as does my Grandmother and my cat I hear is opening up his own online music store as well soon (furrballmusic.net?). Someone needs to tell Virgin this is sooo 2003!

gerlitzappel
Mar 8, 2004, 10:58 AM
It's just bandwagon mentality, and Virgin are past masters at putting their name in an already overcrowded market (jeans, mobiles, mortages, vodka, commercial radio). They aren't looking to make money through either a leading product or bottom line profits. They just want their name emblazend on as many products as possible. Serious techie Windows people are still waiting for iTMS Europe rather than this load of pants because they want it to play on their iPod. It's that simple.

I somewhat agree with your "bandwagon mentality". Although, when Virgin tried selling Cola they wanted part of that huge market. With the limited revenue in online music stores I don't think thay are looking to make a huge amount of money. But since they already have a huge offline music store it kind of makes sense to do it online for the benefit of their current customers.

dukemeiser
Mar 8, 2004, 11:47 AM
It's so cute to think companies will overthrow iTunes with their "original" stores.

And actually, iTunes is probably turning a profit by now. I'd say they are close to 3 million songs a week at this point. It's also amusing to think that in two weeks, iTunes will sell more songs than Napster has total!

Savage Henry
Mar 8, 2004, 11:59 AM
I somewhat agree with your "bandwagon mentality". Although, when Virgin tried selling Cola they wanted part of that huge market. With the limited revenue in online music stores I don't think thay are looking to make a huge amount of money. But since they already have a huge offline music store it kind of makes sense to do it online for the benefit of their current customers.

Can you actually still but Virgin Cola in the states? If you can, it doesn't even make the Top 10 Beverage Brands (http://www.beverage-digest.com/pdf/top-10_2004.pdf). Which I see as Virgin's problem. Over here it was sold to us as an alternative American-style taste Cola. So how's he going to sell it to the country that invented it? By either
a) saying that the Americans are wrong to buy those 8 billion cases a year of Coke/Pepsi because this stuff tastes better, or
b) admitting that Coke/Pepsi is a superior product, but here is a cheaper product that's not quite as good which you might want to try if you want to save a few pennies.

Virgin chose the latter then and they are choosing it now with their music store. If they can bring something new to the party then it'll help the whole music download market, and I would commend them for that. But they just tend to do cheap shots and quick hits which have no long term benefit.

Apple are obviously not complacent, otherwise they wouldn't have ventured into the HP / Pepsi deals in their highest profile lines. All this does make for interesting times, but I can't see Apple being eclipsed by anyone either in quality or success.